Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!

• 36 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 05:31:18 PM »
Another gotcha to worry about:  Make sure you don't have BBCode disabled for your post, otherwise your image will not be viewable.  This setting may be modified in your profile to always allow BBCode.

Also, note that the filename in the above example was uploaded with a space (aka blank) in the file name.  In order for it to be properly displayed when others view the post, the blank was replaced with '%20'.

Offline SaintYukon

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
Another place to post photographs is:

http://www.panoramio.com/signin/

which will allow the photographs to be seen on Google Earth.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 11:47:51 PM »
Recently a new "higher rez pic pops up in a new window when you click the bar" method was implemented for pics posted on BBC:  see here:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/trip-nov-2126th-t7074.0.html;msg67429

Yet when I posted a few minutes ago in another thread, all of my pics were downsized to 600 max, and the 2 horizontal pics were squeezed into vertical proportions.  I had to lower the rez & repost those just to keep their horizontal aspect, but still don't see any ability to access the higher rez versions.

see here:  http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-salon/slickrock-canyon-area-t7183.0.html;msg68822;topicseen

Just wondering what I'm doing wrong...
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Recently a new "higher rez pic pops up in a new window when you click the bar" method was implemented for pics posted on BBC:  see here:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/trip-nov-2126th-t7074.0.html;msg67429

Yet when I posted a few minutes ago in another thread, all of my pics were downsized to 600 max, and the 2 horizontal pics were squeezed into vertical proportions.  I had to lower the rez & repost those just to keep their horizontal aspect, but still don't see any ability to access the higher rez versions.

see here:  http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-salon/slickrock-canyon-area-t7183.0.html;msg68822;topicseen

Just wondering what I'm doing wrong...
I'll have to let Casa Grande weigh in on the ability/inability to pop up the high-rez versions. I will say that your pics were on the large end of the scale. I ran them all through the Image Resizer at 900x1200 and 1200x900. Those 3+ megabyte files are now less than 200k each (give or take a few). It took me several minutes to get your original post to load on a fairly high speed connection. Remember, just because the board's software is resizing to 600 pixels wide doesn't mean the actual file size is reduced. The board just resizes the displayed view. The full 3MB of data for each picture has to be downloaded by the viewer before the web page rescales it for viewing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:50:50 PM by RichardM »

Offline whickums

• Roadrunner
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:12 AM »
I have a question about the gallery.  I uploaded a few pictures tonight but one of them is rotated 90 degrees the wrong way.  I tried to edit it but all appears correct in my computer.  It's gotta be some easy fix but I'm too computer illiterate to figure it out.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:23 AM »
I have a question about the gallery. I uploaded a few pictures tonight but one of them is rotated 90 degrees the wrong way. I tried to edit it but all appears correct in my computer. It's gotta be some easy fix but I'm too computer illiterate to figure it out.
Hmmm, interesting. When I save it to my PC it shows up rotated to the correct vertical orientation. :eusa_think:
Looks like the board's software is confused. I'd say we leave it for now until Casa Grande can check it out.

Hmmmm, from my Mom's PC it's rotated 90 degrees left.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:48:12 AM by RichardM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
I went ahead and rotated the pic and re-uploaded it. Casa Grande will just have to find something else to fix. :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:54:49 AM by RichardM »

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 10:51:52 PM »
Another way to post pics in this forum would be:

1) Resize your pics using your preferred jpg resizer to no more than 800 x 600.
2) Upload the resized pics to a site like photobucket.com.
3) Once uploaded to photobucket, copy the IMG link from there, then paste the IMG link in your post here.

I use the Canon Zoombrowser EX software that came with my Powershot G9 to resize my pics.

like this...  (pic of Dog Canyon - Guadalupe Mtns)

(pic of hiker preparing to downclimb the falls on Clear Creek - Grand Canyon)

Photobucket is a bit busy with ads, but it's relatively fast to come up. I'm not sure if doing it this way uses up space on this server, but it is an alternative.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:07:13 PM by dkerr24 »

Offline whickums

• Roadrunner
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Thank you Richard.  I think my problem lies with the photo editing software of the Mac I'm on.  I'm a PC girl but mine is broken right now, so I'm fumbling through my husband's Mac.  I have a hard time finding resizing options in any of the software so I used image shackle, and I think that is what was rotating them.  I had a couple of pictures uploaded to myspace that did the same thing; I remedied this by rotating them first in iphoto then using image shackle to resize, THEN re-rotating them in iphoto.  Too much work.  :willynilly:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »
Just a reminder to check this topic for basics on how to post pictures. :ranger:

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
I admit to being a tech dinosaur, but this seems to be awfully involved. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
Here's how I do it (and its really easy):
-create an account at imgur.com
-upload your pics (can be full resolution, the website will scale for something more appropriate for the web) by simply dragging and dropping.
-when you click on a picture you uploaded, you'll see a bbc code (stands for big bend chat code-it's especially made for us!) link to the right side of it. Copy that link and paste it into your post. 

And then your image is there!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 06:28:48 PM »
Using the new app is really easy too. You can also use tapatalk.  It's very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat mobile app (beta)

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
...you'll see a bbc code (stands for big bend chat code-it's especially made for us!)...

LOL. Learn something every day!  :icon_biggrin:

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
Here's how I do it (and its really easy):
-create an account at imgur.com
-upload your pics (can be full resolution, the website will scale for something more appropriate for the web) by simply dragging and dropping.
-when you click on a picture you uploaded, you'll see a bbc code (stands for big bend chat code-it's especially made for us!) link to the right side of it. Copy that link and paste it into your post. 

And then your image is there!

But...but...but...I'm scared
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!