Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Point-and-Shoot recommendations - spring 2014

• 14 Replies

Offline Desert Beacon

• Kangaroo Rat
Point-and-Shoot recommendations - spring 2014
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
It's been awhile since the excellent photogs here have weighed in on the topic and there are several relatively new options available. Since I'm in the market for a new pocket camera, I would like to ask for recommendations. I am interested in the Panasonic ZS20, which has been out for awhile and is now on sale for $179. It has 20x zoom, GPS, in-camera panorama and HDR. The sensor is small, like others in the class, but seems it would be OK for online postings and small prints. Your thoughts and suggestions for other cameras would be helpful and appreciated.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Point-and-Shoot recommendations - spring 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Panasonic DMC FZ60

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
I've had a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for 6 years now.  I believe they're up to a LX7 model now.  I absolutely love mine!  It takes awesome pictures and is really versatile.  It's tough as well.  It's been in my pocket all over the country and dozens of trips in Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains.  If it ever dies or I decide to upgrade, I'll get another.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
the Panasonic ZS20 should do the job for you, i have a little Sony with built in GPS/HDr and Pano feature which I love.
Never trust the image quality if any point N shoot that touts high X factors like this one at 20x. sure you can zoom in and really bring the object in closer, but the quality is going to be very poor. Just dont try to photo a bear @ 100 yards and expect a miracle.

in low light situations these small sensor cameras will show a lot of noise in the images. But in general this will work fine for your basic landscapes and such and put out a pretty good 8x10 print.

may I suggest going to the Dpreview camera search function and do a search fo the size camera and features that are what you are looking for, then this will bring up many different options for cameras that have features you are interested in.

Be cautious of cameras with high X factors, its marketing lingo designed to make you think its better than something else because its 20x and not a lowly 8x

http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu#!

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
Yes - what James said. Good advice.

I can highly recommend the Sony RX100 (and they have a version II out now, BTW). I've had one (the first version) for about 1.5 years now.

It has a larger sensor than most compacts. The zoom range is very usable (28-100mm equiv. in terms of "full frame" field of view). It does remarkably well in low light as far as compacts go.

The best thing of all is how small it is. It fits comfortably in my pants pocket. And I usually have it there or in a cargo pocket on my leg, and it goes with me everywhere.

It's tough as nails. I've dropped it so many times I've lost count. It has not failed me yet.

Last year when I lost the batteries for my Canon DSLR, I used the Sony to keep going:

It will even pull off a Milky Way shot. It's not the greatest, technically. There is a lot of noise still and it's not very sharp. But the fact that a compact camera can do this is most impressive, IMO.

The big con, however, is the price. It's very high. It was $650 new, but you can find them now for $400-500 new.

The newer version (RX100II) is something like $750 new.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
TJ--do you use a tripod to get those results with the Sony?

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
How big of a pocket?  Last time in bb, I had to ditch my slr for some of the bushwhacking and scrambling I did, leaving me with my olympus xz-1 in my cargo pocket of my pants. It's a very nice camera in its own right (ability to manually control exposure, bright lens, pleasant images), but its image quality is still limited by the fact that it has a tiny sensor, and I really like shooting through a viewfinder.

I decided I wanted to look for a camera that could give dslr style images but be incredibly portable. After looking at a number of mirrorless cameras (no matter how small the camera, the lenses are still bulky), I bit the bullet, held back my tears, and dropped an obscene amount of money on a fuji x100s. The fixed lens didn't really bother me because I tend to mostly shoot at that focal length (35mm eq) anyways. The image quality is fantastic, and it is an absolute dream to operate. It costs the same as a pretty good dslr (and has the same size sensor), but I also don't think I've shot with my slr since I got the fuji - I prefer the fuji's handling. Best news, it fits everywhere my olympus did - no pants pockets, but easily into cargo pockets, jacket pockets, etc.

Offline defcoord

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Panasonic DMC-ZS25.  I have some pics posted in the gallery taken just last month...

Offline Andreas

• Diamondback
  • A gun gives you the body not the bird. HD Thoreau
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
whatever your choice will be, I strongly recommend that you hold the camera in your hands prior to making a purchase decision. You can read all about camera models, compare features etc., but in the end you have to feel comfortable with your choice. Nothing can replace a hands-on experience to get a feeling if it 'fits' for you. Good luck in finding the right one!

Regards,
Andreas (who is really happy with his Olympus E-M10)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:01:50 AM by Andreas »
"Any time you're throwin dirt you're losin ground."

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Offline Sunsetpar

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
I was in your shoes about a year ago.....did a lot of on-line reading and sought recommendations from experienced hikers whose opinion I valued....I ended up buying a Fuji XF-1.  No one recommended it, but I ran across a review of it and when I went and looked at one in person, I was sold.  Bottom line-  it takes great pictures on auto, but has a tremendous amount of flexibility for people who know what they are doing.  Fits in my pocket, looks retro cool and is sturdy.  I also like the manual off/on and manual zoom feature.....get great battery life.  One downside, is that it does not have a very powerful zoom, but that is not what I bought it for.  Have taken some stunning pics over the last year...so I am very pleased and would highly recommend the Fuji XF-1.  (When I was looking at different models, I would peruse the reviews on Amazon.com.....got a trememdous amount of information from them!)
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous- leading to the most amazing view."  Edward Abbey

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
TJ--do you use a tripod to get those results with the Sony?

For the three shots above, I did. I was shooting at the lowest ISO and stopped down a bit (resulting in lower shutter speeds). A tripod definitely helps in that situation.

The Sony has pretty good image stabilization. It does do well hand-held. The only issue is that it doesn't have a viewfinder - you compose only using the big LCD on the back. So if you shoot hand-held, then you'll want to tuck your elbows in tight and try to steady the camera as best possible.

Offline MikeW

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
FWIW, ditto TJ's recommendation. Those Sony's are (currently, IMHO) unbeatable in the compact camera world. It's what I recommend to my close friends when they ask.

That said - it's a fun time to be in photography because there are -so many- great choices.

Offline aks6674

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
I took a Ricoh GR with me last time.  It's much more limited (fixed 28mm), but what it does, it does VERY well.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
My last trip to BiBe, I borrowed my daughter's Pentax Optio WG.  Waterproof down to 45 feet (not that you will need the feature in the desert  :icon_biggrin:). Shockproof.  Telephoto, wide-angle and macro-focus feature.  The WG-3 version has GPS. Fits in pants pocket.  $400 on Amazon.

Offline dougstar

• Coyote
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 07:08:51 AM »
I use the Fuji F770EXR.   Good pictures, small and 20x zoom.   Driving reasons vs. the Canon SX series is the GPS and RAW capability.
I did have a Canon SX260HS before and will say the low light pictures where better.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!