Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Testing some different photo sizes

• 25 Replies

Offline Homer Wilson

• Diamondback
Re: Testing some different photo sizes
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
BK, where do you pull the link from in drive? I can get a shareable link, but it doesn't look like your example.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
BK, where do you pull the link from in drive? I can get a shareable link, but it doesn't look like your example.

After you upload your picture, go to the folder and right click on the photo

You should get a drop down menu that has a “get shareable link” option

Copy that link. It should start with https://drive.google.com/open?xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't use the "Share" option in the drop down.

You can copy the link by using CTL C from the keyboard
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:30:32 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »

Copy that link. It should start with https://drive.google.com/open?xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't use the "Share"

Like this?  :great:

BK, what is with the changing 'open' to 'uc' part?  :eusa_eh:

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks Badknees...I have a Google account, just couldn't make it work.  Will try it soon.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »

Don't use the "Share"

Like this?  :great:

BK, what is with the changing 'open' to 'uc' part?  :eusa_eh:

Hey! You got it!  Free and easy.

If you keep it Open, it will open in a google viewer and won’t hotlink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:13:55 PM by badknees »
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
This is why I like pencil sketches.

Come on! You’re an intelligent guy and I have provided a 15GB free effective solution.

How about “Gee BK, thanks for the 15GB free effective solution” ?

It is the age of technology!  :victory: Get with the program :icon_smile:

Everyone likes a free effective solution. Don’t they?

You are, of course, completely right, BK.  Thanks for the free effective solution!   :great:

Currently my squirrels are on strike. Once I get the cage moving again, I'll try this out.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:17 PM »
This is why I like pencil sketches.

Come on! You’re an intelligent guy and I have provided a 15GB free effective solution.

How about “Gee BK, thanks for the 15GB free effective solution” ?

It is the age of technology!  :victory: Get with the program :icon_smile:

Everyone likes a free effective solution. Don’t they?

You are, of course, completely right, BK.  Thanks for the free effective solution!   :great:

Currently my squirrels are on strike. Once I get the cage moving again, I'll try this out.

You know I’m just messin with you.

I don’t use this technique generally, because I already have a hosting solution with my web presence, but this works well for those who don’t. Once you access your google account and do it one time, it’s really is pretty simple.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
Someone who knows more about this can perhaps comment, but I think that the board software caps the image size displayed in posts to 640x480 pixels no matter what size one specifies on Flikr.
The displayed image size is capped at 640x640. This means anything larger is scaled down to fit within that size. As we found out the hard way several years ago, extremely large embedded images in a post with lots of them can bog down the software so much that the page won't fully load. Using Flickr lets you select the size of the image to embed, while providing a link to the one on their site where the viewer can select from available resolutions.

For most other hosting sites, Imgur, etc., it's a balancing act of optimizing file size and resolution.

In my test post, the large image looks larger than the medium on my desktop, and both are bigger than 640 x 640, so I'm a little confused. Also in the report I just finished, I used Large 1600 x 1200 images from Flickr -- I didn't realize people had replied to this thread until just now. Apologies if that is going to slow down the software.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:21:40 PM by DesertRatShorty »
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »
Someone who knows more about this can perhaps comment, but I think that the board software caps the image size displayed in posts to 640x480 pixels no matter what size one specifies on Flikr.
The displayed image size is capped at 640x640. This means anything larger is scaled down to fit within that size. As we found out the hard way several years ago, extremely large embedded images in a post with lots of them can bog down the software so much that the page won't fully load. Using Flickr lets you select the size of the image to embed, while providing a link to the one on their site where the viewer can select from available resolutions.

For most other hosting sites, Imgur, etc., it's a balancing act of optimizing file size and resolution.

In my test post, the large image looks larger than the medium on my desktop, and both are bigger than 640 x 640, so I'm a little confused. Also in the report I just finished, I used Large 1600 x 1200 images from Flickr -- I didn't realize people had replied to this thread until just now. Apologies if that is going to slow down the software.

All of the different sizes you posted look the same in the forum. If some look larger that means you are probably opening the original file on Flickr. It doesn’t matter which size you link, the forum will resize dynamically to a max of 640 on the longest size. It is of little value to post photos larger than that unless you want to be able to link back to the original for a specific reason. If you open a full sized link in a new tab your browser is serving the link, NOT the forum.

Another thing to realize is that the forum software determines the maximum size that is displayed in YOUR browser. Either way if you link to a 10mb file, the hit for bandwidth still exists, but the CSS interpolates the large file so that the forum only serves a 640 pixel maximum dimension(can be defined) for height or width. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:55:50 PM by badknees »
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »

All of the different sizes you posted look the same in the forum. If some look larger that means you are probably opening the original file on Flickr. It doesn’t matter which size you link, the forum will resize dynamically to a max of 640 on the longest size. It is of little value to post photos larger than that unless you want to be able to link back to the original for a specific reason. If you open a full sized link in a new tab your browser is serving the link, NOT the forum.

Another thing to realize is that the forum software determines the maximum size that is displayed in YOUR browser. Either way if you link to a 10mb file, the hit for bandwidth still exists, but the CSS interpolates the large file so that the forum only serves a 640 pixel maximum dimension(can be defined) for height or width.

Well said, BK.

DSR, 1600x1200 is fine. That's about what I usually post when using imgur, etc. For maximum efficiency (can you tell I'm an engineer?), using the 640 option with Flickr is ideal. Anything larger requires resizing. Either way, the viewer has the option of seeing the original by clicking through to Flickr. Also, the board's software is not completely reliable or consistent when displaying images. Oftentimes the preview function will show something larger than 640x640. Also, it can get confused by long hyperlinks in a post and end up not resizing images. All part of the fun of using freeware. ;)

The problem I mentioned earlier happened when a user posted a ton of pictures in a single post, each having a file size of over 10Mb. Took me an hour or two to clean up that mess. :icon_rolleyes:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »

Don't use the "Share" option in the drop down.

And to embed photos from photos.google.com, you need to go to the image page and right-click on the image to save the image address (which will be huge). Even though the URL for the image doesn't end in .jpg, the board seems to still recognize it as a photo and it works when pasted inside [img][/img] tags.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!