Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Bee Cave Canyon

• 14 Replies

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
Bee Cave Canyon
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
Does anyone know if Bee Cave Canyon is accessible to the public?

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
Re: Bee Cave Canyon
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:32:50 AM »
Bringing this up from the dead. Anyone know? Would love to go look around and see the site.

Sent from flat land

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:26 AM »
I looked a little harder, not the answer I wanted, but the one I needed. Privately owned. But if anyone has a way in or knows anyone.........

Sent from flat land

Offline Ranger Tim

• Coyote
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
I don't believe that is any public access whatsoever
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
Thats what Im finding. Would be nice to see the largest rock shelter in The Bend but I also understand protecting it.

Sent from flat land

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
Pretty sure no access. It's owned by the Chalk Draw Ranch. The canyon contains the biggest known rock shelter in the Big Bend region and some excellent pictographs.
More info..
https://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/trans-p/images/ap6.html

Online elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
That's a cool sight.  While looking at it, they have a picture of some of the cave drawings on the side of the article.  They look very similar to the pictographs I have seen in Utah.  What it got me wondering is none of them look anything like the buffalo picture on the other side of the park.  I have always questioned the authenticity of the buffalo because it seems out of place to me.  And the quality of rock it is painted on seems very weathered, and I am surprised it has held up for so long, if it is in fact very old.   I admittedly am a "look at the pictures" guy when it came to history.  Can anyone more knowledgeable shed some light on my question of authenticity or comparison?   Or is it simply "it is what it is."
The older I get, the more I realize what freedom really means.  May God bless America

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
That's a cool sight.  While looking at it, they have a picture of some of the cave drawings on the side of the article.  They look very similar to the pictographs I have seen in Utah.  What it got me wondering is none of them look anything like the buffalo picture on the other side of the park.  I have always questioned the authenticity of the buffalo because it seems out of place to me.  And the quality of rock it is painted on seems very weathered, and I am surprised it has held up for so long, if it is in fact very old.   I admittedly am a "look at the pictures" guy when it came to history.  Can anyone more knowledgeable shed some light on my question of authenticity or comparison?   Or is it simply "it is what it is."
From what I recall of a conversation with the then park archaeologist, the RB is only around 300-350 years old.

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
I was told the same about Indian Head by a park ranger.

Sent from flat land

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
Here is a quote from a Park Archaeologist

"I just wish we knew the answers to your questions. Most is speculation and inferrence from discoveries outside the BB. The pigment is iron oxide - red ochre - but what is used as a binder is not known. PROBABLY animal fat. Some speculation is animal blood, which also makes a good binder. I tend to suspect animal fat, which would be a more durable binder. The age of this pictograph is also speculative. Stylistically, it and the white hunter figure adjacent to it have similarities to the red monochrome style of the lower Pecos/Seminole Canyon area. Again, I SPECULATE that it may be more recent - late Prehistoric - and could be related to traders who had contact with or traveled to southern plains buffalo range. That is postulated because the hunter to the side is holding a bow and not an atlatl. Bow and arrow indicate late Prehistoric (800 AD to 1500 AD). IF it's older, it could be from the late Archaic period (1400 to 3000 years old) and be from a time when buffalo actually still ranged into the Big Bend. But that doesn't account for the stylistically similar hunter figure that is clearly associated with the buffalo.

So, late Prehistoric, possibly produced by hunters themselves or traders in buffalo hides. The latter would most likely be Jumano who we know from historic Spanish documentation to be traders who ranges from El Paso to east Texas and eastern New Mexico across the southern plains to Oklahoma, and down into central Texas.

Good questions. Possible answers.
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
I like those possible answers better than the closed answers of there's no way it's older than 300 years. Way too much speculation and not enough fact. Man has been in the Bend for thousands of years, I doubt they just started drawing in the last few hundred. In my eyes, saying we just dont know is better than stating speculation as fact.

Sent from flat land

Online presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
Here is a quote from a Park Archaeologist

"I just wish we knew the answers to your questions. Most is speculation and inferrence from discoveries outside the BB.

Well, if you really want to know the answers, you need to check out the "scholarly" works of Erich von Däniken  :eusa_dance:

His seminal work Chariots of the Gods was followed by the book and TV movie Mysteries of the Gods, narrated by none other than Captain Kirk (or as one reviewer said, Captain Quirk).

I'm fairly certain this is the show in which everything that Däniken could not otherwise come up with a "rational" (using the term loosely) explanation, he continuously characterized as "obviously ceremonial."

"Obviously ceremonial" became our go-to phrase for much in the months following that broadcast. It remains a useful comment.

In that vein, you just know the Red Buffalo is "obviously ceremonial."

It was a hoot to watch in 1976 and undoubtedly is even funnier now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074233/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

You can see more about Däniken's bonafides and Shatner's contributions here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0ahUKEwj38--8grfYAhVBS2MKHZc_BpcQFghTMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dwhauck.com%2Flectures%2FMysteries%2520of%2520the%2520Gods.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1ke4s9MJNjRb6mK_miPY0e

In the two-page article is this delicious slice: "Shatner here is often seen with pillowy mounds of windswept hair, thick sideburns, and a yellow shirt with an alarmingly large collar, which Shatner wears up as though he were Dracula or Dr. Strange. In this ensemble, he travels the country, interviewing NASA scientists and certifiable wackos with an earnestness that suggests the he can't tell the difference between one or the other, which would make him a typical American in 1976."
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
Its funny you use the term ceremonial. Some of the rock art I have seen over the years appears to be deliberate, purposely made and quite beautiful. Like the artist was trying to convey a meaning. Then theres other art, that appears the parents told the kids to "go draw". Ive often wondered if some of the rock art people assign a higher meaning to is nothing more than the kids doodles left behind. A permanent coloring book to entertain the kids while mom and dad went about camplife while the kids played.

Sent from flat land

Online presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Some of the rock art I have seen over the years appears to be deliberate, purposely made

Given the amount of effort necessary to create rock art, it would seem all of it was deliberate and purposeful.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
True

Sent from flat land

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!