Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center - Fort Davis

• 5 Replies

WayneR

Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center - Fort Davis
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »
This is a interesting attraction worth a visit if you are exploring the Fort Davis area.  They are a non-profit and have nice resources available on the Chihuahuan Desert.  Their visitor center, botanical gardens and greenhouse were not affected by the recent wildfire. 

The Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center
In 1978, the board and supporters of the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute purchased 507 acres of rolling grassland, oak-studded hills, and shady canyon springs in the foothills of the Davis Mountains. Here, they established the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center. For over three decades, visitors have explored this tranquil and visually stunning site, taking the opportunity to reconnect with nature and discover the desert. 

Highlights of the Nature Center include a desert botanical garden, 1400 sq. ft. cactus and succulent greenhouse, over 3 miles of hiking trails, and interpretive exhibits. Both formal and informal education programs for children and adults are offered throughout the year.

The Nature Center is a facility of the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute—a nonprofit organization established in 1974. Funding for the Institute and the Nature Center comes from donations, grants, program and service fees, gift shop sales, and oil and gas royalties.

For more information, checkout their website; http://cdri.org/

I am in no way affiliated with CDRI.  I do not recall this attraction mentioned previously on BBC and think it's worth checking out especially if you are fascinated with the Cactus family...

Wayne
KE5UOF
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:27:45 AM by WayneR »

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center - Fort Davis
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
Yes, this does look interesting.  On Saturday, I spoke with the interpreter, Blaine Hall, and he recommended it; went through there on Sunday and was stymied by the wildfires.  I hope it has survived the fires!

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
It has ; )

Voni
  sMiling
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
And there is a plant sale on the 23rd, or if you are a member you can go on the 22nd. If you are into native plants, it is worth it to get there on the members only day! I missed it one year, never again!

Offline Boojum1

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Highly recommended.  One caution, though:  save your receipt for any desert plants you buy if you're en route to Big Bend NP, proving you bought them and didn't harvest them.  CDRI grows their plants from seed so you know they're not "laundered" through a black-market cactus rustler. 

Truly a gem of the area and one of my can't-miss stops when I'm out west.
Pithy quote free for years

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:47:57 PM »
This thread is worth reviving. You could spend a very good day exploring this place. The hike into the canyon is moderate and enticing enough to draw most people to the spring. There it's shady and cool with a small flow of water. Sweet little spot. Then the Geology exhibit with the 360 degree view complete with 8 panels naming and explaining what your seeing is excellent. Blaine Hall put the exhibit together. This small preserve is worthy of your attention and support.   

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!