Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Questions and Answers / Re: Weapons allowed in park?
« Last post by badknees on Today at 08:14:39 AM »
Wait a hold it.  I though that National Parks were controlled by the laws of the state they are located in and that concealed carry was ok in BB if you are legal to carry concealed???

Never mind - I actually read the link after I asked the stupid question...

You can open carry or concealed carry in the park if you have an LTC (License to Carry).  Of course there are prohibited areas that are posted.
Hiking the Desert / Re: Tinaja Lujan slot
« Last post by ghysdulkc on November 22, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
Thanks deserratshorty. I had seen that picture and others just like it on Bbc but I wasn’t sure if that was the only major obstacle. Thanks for the info.
Also, i have poured over both satellite imagery and topo maps. The bouldering/scrambling/rappelling/Climbing is the point. Plenty of slot canyons have use trails around them or to parts of them. Descending them in their entirety despite the obstacles is the goal!
Big Bend Ranch State Park Q&A / Re: BBRSP Designated International Dark Sky Park
« Last post by SA Bill on November 22, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
   Bill
Big Bend Ranch State Park Q&A / BBRSP Designated International Dark Sky Park
« Last post by GaryF on November 22, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
No surprise really:  http://www.darksky.org/big-bend-ranch-state-park-named-worlds-newest-international-dark-sky-park/

“The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and IDA are proud to announce that Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) has been designated as an International Dark Sky Park. It is the fourth Texas State Park to receive the honor, joining neighboring Big Bend National Park, which received IDA accreditation in 2012. Together, they form one of the largest contiguous areas under dark-skies protection in the United States.”
Your Trip Reports / Re: Rey goes to Big Bend... Again!
« Last post by rocketman on November 22, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Nice work Rey! Thanks for sharing!
Hiking the Desert / Re: Tinaja Lujan slot
« Last post by DesertRatShorty on November 22, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
If you look at this report from Robert, and scroll down, there's a photo of Lujan with a person at the top of the slot. Shows the whole length of what you'd have to climb down. Also note that if you hike from the base of Lujan heading SE, there is a trail that parallels the wash and saves you a lot of bouldering. Check the satellite imagery.
« Last post by mule ears on November 22, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
Rey I am excited about your next stage of life, congratulations on making the big jump!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Hiking the Desert / Tinaja Lujan slot
« Last post by ghysdulkc on November 22, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
Hello all.
I am looking for some info on Tinaja Lujan. Starting from the top of the drainage and descending down the slot that makes Tinaja Lujan, does anyone know if it requires a rope to descend fully? And if so, how many pouroffs does it have that need to be climbed or rappelled? I am going to go the MDA soon and I have many potential destinations. I know Tinaja Lujan is one of the more popular slots and am trying to figure out if it is worth my time.

Thanks.
Hiking the Mountains / Re: Photographer help for proposal
« Last post by AggieOO on November 22, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
Hope you found someone...and more importantly, I hope she said yes. :)

My wife and I got engaged on top of Casa Grande.  There were two German gentlemen wandering around up there, and I was initially annoyed that there was anyone else up there, but ended up working out b/c they were able to take pictures of us.
« Last post by Al on November 22, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Good stuff as always.  You have an excellent ability to see things especially the  Ariocarpus fissuratus.  Those are really hard to spot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!