Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Non-BIBE Trip Reports / Re: Shiprock
« Last post by House Made of Dawn on Today at 03:17:30 PM »
Now THAT'S Dinétah, up close and personal ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
« Last post by ds9writer on Today at 03:07:17 PM »
I was there years ago on a geology field course.  We got only as close as the top picture.  Spent a good hour talking about the origin, rock composition, etc.  Impressive, to say the least.

Odd, though - the thing I remember the most was a half-decomposed horse carcass about 30 feet from the road...  :o   although our noses were assaulted, it didn't take away from the awe of being there...
« Last post by Buck on Today at 02:56:32 PM »
In the summer of '83 a buddy and I left Texas and spent the better part of July climbing and Jeeping around the San Juan's between Silverton, Ouray and Telluride.  On the way back we decided to go by The Rock and arrived around sundown.  We took a road off to the West that cut through one of the radial dikes that cut to the south, pulled over and climbed up on it under a full moon and took pictures looking down the moonlit-bathed dike.  I'll see if I can find those photos and post a couple.
General Questions and Answers / Cindees poem
« Last post by jim2 on Today at 01:49:15 PM »
Through The Window
Around The Bend
Down The Gap Road
To The Top Of The Rim
I Have Been
 Lot's of new members since Cindee posted this poem, thought you might enjoy it
The Fort Davis Board / Re: Fort Davis Cyclefest
« Last post by GaryF on Today at 06:26:47 AM »
Good job Robert! One of these years I will make it down for this event.

One of the nice things I remember about this area was the low traffic levels. Miles of quiet and scenic roads.
From the Administrator... / Re: 2018 Calendar Nominations
« Last post by RichardM on September 18, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »
Just wanted to say the photos are spectacular as usual. May need an 18 month calendar.
There's always next year. Although pics can only be in a calendar once (at least until I change the rules, which ain't likely), they can be nominated in different years. So, everyone is welcome to review previous nominations and re-nominate their faves that didn't make the top 13. :)
This thread has me missing Big Bend. I would like to explore these parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Ditto... and I wonder if Homer67 would consider adopting me. At 59 I may be a touch to uh... not young...  :eusa_dance:

:great:
Your Trip Reports / Re: Sierra Quemada/Mule Ears Figure 8
« Last post by dprather on September 18, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!