Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Big Bend on the Web / Re: Two For the Road- Big Bend
« Last post by House Made of Dawn on Today at 12:04:34 PM »
Hey guys! Nik and Dusty from Two for the Road here. Thanks for the kind words about the show! We've lived here in Texas our entire lives and this was our first trip to Big Bend, and we absolutely fell in love with the place (in fact we've been back already since we filmed the episode last fall). The episode has been playing on many PBS stations around the country since January, but it will actually premiere nationwide TONIGHT (May 22, 2018) on a PBS-affiliated channel called Create TV! Check your local listings, because Create is available in almost 90 percent of the country. (Although as luck would have it, it is NOT available in the Big Bend area itself. Figures.)
If you don't get to see it on air, the show will be available online on our website (www.twofortheroad.c om) in a couple of months.
Thanks again, and let us know what y'all think!
Cheers
Nik and Dusty Green
Two for the Road

Haha! That's fanatastic. I'll look for it. It's amazing who you can find on this board.  ;)
« Last post by twofortheroad on Today at 10:23:03 AM »
Hey guys! Nik and Dusty from Two for the Road here. Thanks for the kind words about the show! We've lived here in Texas our entire lives and this was our first trip to Big Bend, and we absolutely fell in love with the place (in fact we've been back already since we filmed the episode last fall). The episode has been playing on many PBS stations around the country since January, but it will actually premiere nationwide TONIGHT (May 22, 2018) on a PBS-affiliated channel called Create TV! Check your local listings, because Create is available in almost 90 percent of the country. (Although as luck would have it, it is NOT available in the Big Bend area itself. Figures.)
If you don't get to see it on air, the show will be available online on our website (www.twofortheroad.c om) in a couple of months.
Thanks again, and let us know what y'all think!
Cheers
Nik and Dusty Green
Two for the Road
The Marathon Board / Re: Brew pub coming to Marathon
« Last post by Robert on Today at 09:32:48 AM »
Looks like they opened on April 21.  Has anyone stopped here yet?

BRICK VAULT BREWERY & BBQ - GRAND OPENING
« Last post by RichardM on Today at 09:27:53 AM »
Woke up this morning and flipped on the TV to watch the news and saw the latest episode of Two For the Road and it was on Big Bend.  Pretty good job on covering a lot of the are including Alpine and Big Bend Brewing, Far Flung adventures and some in the State Park, crossing to Bouquillas, Rafting Santa Elena and some more.  I guess look for it on PBS.
Looks like Houston PBS isn't on board (yet?). Bummer. Maybe twofortheroad will get that fixed. ;)

Texas:

Amarillo (Panhandle PBS): Thursdays at 8:00pm Beginning January 18th
Austin (KLRU): Saturdays at 5:30pm  Beginning January 20th (KLRU), Sundays at 10:00am (KLRU Q) Wednesdays at 11:00 am and 2:00pm (KLRU Q)
Dallas (KERA):  Saturdays at 2:30pm Beginning January 20th
El Paso (KCOS): Saturdays at 5:00pm Beginning January 20th
Lubbock (KTTZ): Saturdays at 7:00pm Beginning March 24th
Big Bend on the Web / Two For the Road- Big Bend
« Last post by mule ears on Today at 06:11:25 AM »
Woke up this morning and flipped on the TV to watch the news and saw the latest episode of Two For the Road and it was on Big Bend.  Pretty good job on covering a lot of the area including Alpine and Big Bend Brewing, Far Flung adventures and some in the State Park, crossing to Boquillas, Rafting Santa Elena and some more.  I guess look for it on PBS.
Alright.  I'll go on record and say THE STAFF AT BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK DON'T GIVE ONE LITTLE DAMN ABOUT WHAT ANYONE OUTSIDE PANTHER JUNCTION THINKS ABOUT THEIR POLICIES. The least of which are the fine folks here  at Big Bend Chat.   But,  go on and keep thinking you've got something to say.  They'll bob they're funny  hats up and down, give you a "go to hell" smile, a handshake,  and do none of it.  Been there,  done that.  Be real folks. 

They don't want you there,  why the hell would they care about what you have to say?

Hombre is right,  this is merely a formality. 

Absolutely true in all respects.
Haven't read through all of the 1995 plan but I already see this is our opportunity to push for El Campo to come back or another computerized system (page 19, #2).  My other thoughts are to push back on bear cans in the lower desert and any kind of restrictions on using natural water sources. 

Good luck with that. This process certainly is not about rolling back restrictions and requirements; only adding more.
While looking for the actual Backcountry Closure press release that Jim previously alerted us to I ran across this from today also.

Date: May 1, 2018
Big Bend National Park is seeking input to update the 1995 Backcountry Management Plan.  This document directs park management on wilderness and backcountry use topics, including backpacking, primitive car camping, backcountry use limits, and other considerations. 

Here is a link to the project page with the 1995 management plan.  Unfortunately other than the 23 year old plan there is no information as to what they are thinking.  This makes me very uncomfortable as to what they might come up with.  Anyone going to be in the area for either of the planned public meetings?  We only have 6 weeks to give input.

Would love to attend, but cannot. However, if anyone does, please take them to task about their repeated usage of the word 'wilderness.'

This is NO wilderness in Big Bend, despite how fervently they wish for it, and they need to stop misleading the public about this item.

I never cease to be amazed at the quest by Texans to be/have/do the biggest/best/most of everything. A similar mindset is rare among all the other states (nobody else cares about such statistics as much as Texans seem to). A curious obsession to be sure.

Don't be bitter.  Don't lose hope. Maybe you'll be a Texan in the next life. Then, you can also be the best and biggest.

I am a Texan; left the state a looong time ago for the west. Best move I ever made.
Ah, so you're a self-loathing traitor. Now that explains a lot.

Not sure what your point is.

Living in the western public land states opens up more opportunities than can be accomplished in several lifetimes, without repeated trips to one piece of ground, hiking the same trails over and over and over, or repeatedly camping in the same sites.

Recently spent several days in the Gila NF, very near but not in the wilderness. One photo (below) of a high point on a county road through the forest. No crowds, no fees, camped where I wanted. In four days I saw only one USFS employee who merely waved as he went by. Rarely even saw other vehicles. No crowding and no one (official or otherwise) to bother anyone. The first morning the temperature was 30 degrees until the sun rose.

Awesome country. Try it, you'll like it. There's a lot to be said for variety of experiences.

RichardM got a taste of that kind of freedom in the national forest after he took advantage of a Grand Canyon NPS suggestion he camp on USFS land.

Your Trip Reports / Re: Important survey
« Last post by presidio on May 21, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
how long after you get home is it appropriate that leave that pass taped to your windshield.

Usually, I remove it on the way out of the park; sometimes I might get a few miles outside the boundary, but it always is taken down quickly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!