Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Backcountry Camping / Re: Chisos Mountains Memorial Day Weekend
« Last post by elhombre on Today at 07:33:47 PM »
Not many people ever stay below the Toll mountain campsite at all those others (Boulder meadow, Juniper flats, Pinnacles)  because it is so close to the car,  All those campsites get used when the upper Chisos campsites are full.  When backpacking, it takes us 2 hours to walk up to the Toll mountain site/saddle.  Then the Boot campsites are down hill for about 25 minutes. 

Walking out of the Chisos back to the car from Boot, it usually takes us a little less than 3 hours.   We always seem to take just a little over 4 hours to walk back to the car from the rim.

Colorado backpacking is easier than the desert.  Unless you take on a bunch of elevation gains, and don't take the time to acclimate to the altitude.  Water everywhere.

In order to extend your trip, maybe look into staying at Laguna Meadows and day hiking from there down Cattail canyon.  Pretty hard to get lost, and there almost always is water down there.  Laguna Meadows,  Boot Canyon, and a Rim site for a three nighter.
I'd much rather have an NPS with an advisory board than one without one. Heck, I'd even be willing to put elhombre on it, and he and I disagree on almost as much as we agree. But grit sharpens the blade.

An advisory board that does nothing but rubber stamp NPS desires is worthless.

Do/did they do that? I have no idea. But, you don't see any dissent from within or beside the NPS, and the NPS notoriously does not solicit public opinion about anything they do.

That's a pretty strong indication their "advisory" board is cosmetic.
So if I understand you guys right, politicians don't have to have a sense of honor, integrity, workplace ethic, and decency? No wonder they spend so much of our money covering up the trash in their lives.

I don't think we can do without them. I want them to be decent people. Some are but the majority aren't. Quite a few of them are dumb as a rock. Some play the dumb game but some take it a step further and win with it... Case in point... three words. Sheila Jackson Lee (that's just the first one that comes to mind).

Sitting around waiting for someone that you work for to come check on you is adult day care center bs  :) 
I don't know if iCe is saying we can do without politicians, I think I hear him wondering why politics doesn't function like a business. THAT is the trick. They don't, they can't, and they won't. As you point out, ME, they're just not the same. Does no good to automatically project private sector expectations onto public sector endeavors. I suspect each domain can learn a little from the other, but there are real limits: they are fundamentally different animals.
[

Then why did they quit?

See this line in Tony Knowles letter: For the last year we have stood by waiting for the chance to meet and continue the partnership between the NPSAB and the DOI as prescribed by law.

He and the other signees are protesting a continued practice on Zinke's part of not following the LAW.  Gee, I guess all this committee stuff in the gummint is regulated by laws! Who'd a thunk it? And they are saying that Zinke is not running DOI by the book in their inteface with them and they are giving up.

Just sat their looking at one another- "When are they going to come to us? Don't they know who we are? I say we wait until they realize how important we are."

That dog don't hunt in my world. Proactive beats reactive every... single... time. Notice that I didn't use the synonym for "beats"... see how sensitive I am  :icon_lol: :willynilly: :eusa_doh: If my boss goes silent for too long he damn well knows that I'm here (politely of course). I don't sit around and wait for him to realize how important I am because the odds are pretty high that he won't.

All I can say is you've got a novel take on that quote.
My read is that both sides, the NPSAB and the DOI, have to meet and cooperate in order to discharge their legal duties, and the DOI, managed by Zinke, hasn't followed through on this. In this sense, he is disregarding the law. It's not a matter of the NPSAB members trying to get recognition for how important they think they are.

I'm good with you having your pov. I really am. I wouldn't ask anyone to change that. I give my opinion and you're free to give yours. If we disagree, no worries, I'd still give you my last bottle of water if I saw you in need on a trail (I'd probably call you bad names if I died of dehydration later but that's my problem not yours  :)  )

I will say this, In my 40+ years in the business I am in, I don't know anyone that would see:

"For the last year we have stood by waiting"

as anything other than what I see it as and I've worked with a lot of people over the years. They sat around for a year and waited for someone to come see them? Nobody waits in my world. You're either a solution or a problem and if you're a problem then we'll go over, thru, or around you but we will get it done. Time is money, etc, etc, etc. If you've got something to say then say it. They aren't the only thing going on in the NPS. They should have made more noise sooner.
ICe, your examples are one of many differences between private industry and public professional politics.  As much as many of us may hate it, politician is as much a necessary profession in a democracy as doctor or roughneck is in private business.  The current problem is the government is being filled with people who don't have a clue as to how things work (or not being filled at all) the idea that we can do without government is possible is just not realistic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

[

Then why did they quit?

See this line in Tony Knowles letter: For the last year we have stood by waiting for the chance to meet and continue the partnership between the NPSAB and the DOI as prescribed by law.

He and the other signees are protesting a continued practice on Zinke's part of not following the LAW.  Gee, I guess all this committee stuff in the gummint is regulated by laws! Who'd a thunk it? And they are saying that Zinke is not running DOI by the book in their inteface with them and they are giving up.

Just sat their looking at one another- "When are they going to come to us? Don't they know who we are? I say we wait until they realize how important we are."

That dog don't hunt in my world. Proactive beats reactive every... single... time. Notice that I didn't use the synonym for "beats"... see how sensitive I am  :icon_lol: :willynilly: :eusa_doh: If my boss goes silent for too long he damn well knows that I'm here (politely of course). I don't sit around and wait for him to realize how important I am because the odds are pretty high that he won't.

My read is that both sides, the NPSAB and the DOI, have to meet and cooperate in order to discharge their legal duties, and the DOI, managed by Zinke, hasn't followed through on this. In this sense, he is disregarding the law. It's not a matter of the NPSAB members trying to get recognition for how important they think they are.

I'm good with you having your pov. I really am. I wouldn't ask anyone to change that. I give my opinion and you're free to give yours. If we disagree, no worries, I'd still give you my last bottle of water if I saw you in need on a trail (I'd probably call you bad names if I died of dehydration later but that's my problem not yours  :)  )

I will say this, In my 40+ years in the business I am in, I don't know anyone that would see:

"For the last year we have stood by waiting"

as anything other than what I see it as and I've worked with a lot of people over the years. They sat around for a year and waited for someone to come see them? Nobody waits in my world. You're either a solution or a problem and if you're a problem then we'll go over, thru, or around you but we will get it done. Time is money, etc, etc, etc. If you've got something to say then say it. They aren't the only thing going on in the NPS. They should have made more noise sooner.
[

Then why did they quit?

Backcountry Camping / Re: Chisos Mountains Memorial Day Weekend
« Last post by Imre on Today at 04:40:41 PM »
In the past decade I have generally found water either at Boot Spring or along the Boot Canyon trail to the south of the spring toward the end of May.  Of course that's no guarantee for the future, and on occasion the standing pools have been rather unappetizing. 
General Questions and Answers / Re: A bit brisk?
« Last post by mule ears on Today at 04:18:09 PM »
Just measured 10".  Our biggest ever was 20" in 2000.  Will be a slow drive to the interstate in the morning

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

[

Then why did they quit?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!