Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Give them a call?
big Bend an other parks stayed open in the schumer shut down of '18
Gates open, buildings closed
Campgrounds / Re: How would a gov't shutdown impact campgrounds at Big Bend
« Last post by congahead on December 14, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
If BIBE is shut down and you canít get in, consider Big Bend Ranch State Park.

Even more rugged and remote.
« Last post by Al on December 14, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
Yup, the park will be closed.
« Last post by badknees on December 14, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »
During the government shutdown in 2013, the previous administration closed park entrances and put up barriers around national monuments.
« Last post by marufo on December 14, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
If the Interior Dept is not funded, the park will be closed and you will not be able to get in. Yeah, that sucks. Can't go any further without getting political, but don't worry - others on this board will.
« Last post by elhombre on December 14, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
Depends on.  Back when the government "shut down", the liberal progressives were in charge.  They went out of their way to make the public feel their anger by shutting down stupid stuff, and make the Republicans look bad.   The best example of this that I remember was the pull out area that a tourist would use to view Mt. Rushmore. 
http://michellemalkin.com/2013/10/06/scenery-shutdown-of-the-day-roadside-access-to-mt-rushmore-coned-off/

Different people in charge now.  The NPS knows that all employees are guaranteed their back pay when the government "shuts down".  They actually just get a paid vacation.  If that translates into the campground being left open is, unfortunately, unknown.  Last time, many people just went into the park, and did what they wanted on our public land.  I would advise you to bring your backpacking stuff, and just plan on spending time out in the back country if the campgrounds are shut down.  That's what I'm going to do.   :great:
I've been planning a trip to big bend from December 23-31, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a plan B in case the government shutdown prevents the campground at the national park from working out as planned.  I have done very little research about Big Bend Ranch, but it does look like there are good campsites I could reach with my not high clearance 2 wheel drive.  How difficult would it be to show up on the 23rd and get a good spot that I could reach with my pansy car?  Do those tend to be full on the 23rd of December?  Anyone have experience with a last minute spot in BBRSP Christmas week?
Campgrounds / How would a gov't shutdown impact campgrounds at Big Bend
« Last post by EmilyP on December 14, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
I've been planning a Christmas trip to Big Bend for months.  I have my campground reservations all set, getting the gear together for this bucket list trip.  And now what's all this about a government shutdown?  I'm not trying to start a political debate about the merits of a shutdown or the reasons behind it.  Please don't go there.  I know that it may or may not happen, but can any of you help me thing through the what if's?  I'm planning to leave on the 22nd (and get to the park on the 23rd), the current deadline for coming to some sort of agreement seems to be the 21st.  The only things I can find online seem to indicate that the parks won't be closed, but I'm afraid that the bathrooms will be padlocked and that our reservation, the one I made in JUNE won't be enforced and someone will take my site.  Speaking of enforcement, is there reason to think the campgrounds would be less safe due to fewer rangers???  If the park is open I'd still like to come, but what extra things might I need to plan for?  Anyone know anything???? Anyone else having similar thoughts????  It's a 20 hour drive for me each way so it's not like I can just turn around and come back later.
Water and Spring Reports / Re: Dec. 2, 2018 OML Water Report
« Last post by MedMoneyCat on December 13, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »
Thank you for the report. Looking forward to getting out here on the 26th.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!