Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/general-outdoor-stuff-camping-equipment/divide-4500-ultralight-backpack-first-use/

4 trips under my belt with this pack, and it has not caused me any problems at all.  Mostly carried in the 30-35# range.  As heavy as #45 at the start of one trip.  No regrets.  Big enough to swallow up a bear container at the Grand Canyon too.

That could be a long discussion.  What do you mean by lightweight?  How much volume?  What kind of loads/ weight do you want to carry?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Since we are on this topic about getting ready for backpacking season does anyone have a recommendation for a extra large but lightweight backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
I hiked the Marfu Vega is july of 2017. The ranger tried to talk me out of it bit I persisted. He gave me a long speech about how there was no water and no shade except a couple of places in the draws that it passes. That the heat was a killer and i knew it was. It was very hot but itís something that im conditioned to do. I donít recommend anyone attempt this hike in the heat though because it was brutal. I did cache 3 gallons at the split and filled up water at the Rio Grande. All of my hiking was done early morning and late evening. I took nothing with me except water,flashlight ,snack food and a plb. I will tell you that i would never do it again in the summer. I just get hot so quick and that trail is very demanding.

The West Texas Fandango (aka Road Trip) / Re: Talkin' 'bout ol times
« Last post by Al on June 19, 2018, 11:03:26 PM »
David is not only a great photographer, he is great at creating great moments.
The West Texas Fandango (aka Road Trip) / Re: Talkin' 'bout ol times
« Last post by Txlj on June 19, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
Memories

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The Terlingua/Study Butte Board / Re: Fishing the Rio Grande
« Last post by Txlj on June 19, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
The river road or the fishing camps in Black Gap are good

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The Terlingua/Study Butte Board / Re: Fishing the Rio Grande
« Last post by fullmetaljacket6793 on June 19, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
I was going to try to fish at the gravel pit. Has anyone tried that area yet?

Thanks, ghysdulkc! I'm glad you measured it! And great photos of your rappel, too! Pine Canyon Pouroff is definitely TALL!
The West Texas Fandango (aka Road Trip) / Re: Black Gap WMA
« Last post by dprather on June 19, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
One amazing New Yera's Even night my wife and I left the Park late.  Driving by 2627, we decided to take the time.  VERY WELL WORTH IT.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!