Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

October 22 and 23 2011 Dual Sport Event in Terlingua

• 2 Replies

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
October 22 and 23 2011 Dual Sport Event in Terlingua
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
http://www.trh-cycle.org/flyers/Terlingua2011.pdf

There are going to be a lot of Dual Sport Bikes (aka: street legal dirt bikes) in the Study Butte area the weekend of October 22.
I mention it so you you'll be aware of potential lodging shortages that weekend and you can trip plan accordingly. I have twice been
there during this event (not a participant) and there was minimal spill over into the NP itself. However this year they are having lunch at RGV on Saturday, and the flyer mentions "new trails through the National Park". I'm a dual sport rider and I do not like the sound of that at all. A nice quiet breakfast around the fire at Kathy's was not available when I was there during this event. 
It's my understanding that there is some controversy about this event amongst the Terlingua Ranch property owners as it seems the "donations" to the ranch road fund are allegedly just the regular dues from some TR property owners that help organize the event.
Anyway, you've been warned notified.
Fort Worth

Offline aircrftmec

• Jack Rabbit
Re: October 22 and 23 2011 Dual Sport Event in Terlingua
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
I am an off road rider who has owned land at Terlingua ranch since 1971 ( ok my father was the original purchaser) If they stick to the ranch roads no big deal and as far as riding "new trails" in the park you know that the Rangers are going to be out in force making sure everyone behaves them selves. The local economy will benefit from the event to the tune of at least $40,000 plus (200 rider spending at least $200 each over the weekend) I know that when I host my Mens off road riding trip each year for 3 1/2 days the 4 of us pump $2200 into the local economy. While 200 off road riders descending on Terlingua does disrupt the slow pace of life down there,  the bottom line is the economy needs the riders and while a few bad apples may do something stupid the majority will behave them selves.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
Re: October 22 and 23 2011 Dual Sport Event in Terlingua
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
aircrftmec,
I agree with just about everything you said, and what little I don't agree with doesn't matter. Many here (majority I would think) on the board cherish the solitude of the park as much as it's other attributes, I was just informing them of this event so they could avoid it if they desired. I like motorcycles and have 2 myself and I'm hunting for a third, however I understand that many people are not that fond of them. Some dislike them for the noise, some because of those bad apples you mentioned. If I was camping at a back road primitive site and 200 dual sports went by, even I would wish someone had told me about it beforehand, preferably before I left home. I like Kathy and I want her along with many other businesses in Study Butte/Terligua to make money and thrive.
Ride safe, carry water, ATGATT  :icon_smile:
Fort Worth

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!