Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

trans pecos pipeline

• 23 Replies

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Re: trans pecos pipeline
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Petitions seem kind of political in nature to me.

If it was closer to BiBe I'd probably look at it differently but the route it will likely take, I have no way to know what route it will really take, is probably going to use existing ROW as often as possible and it will be a long, long way from BiBe. The park wouldn't let it bass through.

That's a big dollar project just for selling gas to Mexico... those typically don't pan out very well.

Here's a straight line route from Waha to Ojinaga. It will not be a straight line.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »
Where do you see that? In the picture that I posted? That's just a measuring line that I put in Google Earth between the two points. Pipelines are never straight lines.

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
"Despite the bleak legal prognosis, some landowners are vowing to fight to the bitter end, among them Val Beard, the former county judge. She and her husband, Tom, own the Leoncita Ranch north of Alpine, among other family holdings.

She said she finally got enough specific information last week to pinpoint where Trans-Pecos Pipeline Ltd. wants to cross her land. “They want to run it right through our ranch headquarters, five homes, barns, shipping pens, buried electrical lines, lots of old family history,” she said. “And behind the house is Leoncita Springs, first known to history in 1684. Free-flowing springs, walnut trees, a beautiful desert oasis,” she added. Beard, who, like her husband is a lawyer, said a line in the sand has been drawn.

“This is one of those 'over my dead body’ things. We’re dead serious about opposing this,” she said.

And she expects the battle to be soon met. “As I understand the process, it’s going to roll out really, really fast, and part of their
strategy will be to divide land owners. Threaten people with going to court,” she said. “The problem with us, is we’ve been in court all our lives.” via San Antonio Express-News

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
South of Alpine, I would think they would try to use the old railroad ROW to Presidio, wouldn't they?...  :eusa_think:

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:06:25 PM »
Right of Way... these days most pipeline companies don't want to go through condemnation proceedings. It's lengthy and very expensive. It's a lot easier, in most cases, to re-route.

For the record, I wouldn't want that stuff on my property either. Even if it was in the middle of no where. The only upside, as long as there isn't a mainline block valve setting or compressor station, is that there would be a long straight sendero to hunt on... then again, that could also be a downside because, especially out there, it's a long ugly scar that never heals. If there is equipment anywhere on your place that means there will be strangers accessing your place. During construction they'll be crawling all over. I don't blame them for getting upset...

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
The consortium, called Trans-Pecos Pipeline Ltd, will own the pipeline, just one component of an extensive modernization of Mexico’s energy systems. The country is creating a national gas pipeline system and wants to increase the use of natural gas instead of coal in electric plants.

That might be a good thing....
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
It would seem that the big decisions have already been made, without input from local residents and landowners.

By the time the route of the pipeline becomes public knowledge, construction will have already begun and there will be no stopping it.

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Notinourbigbend?fref=ts

Offline mr.bean5150

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
Thanks for the info....
"Do or Do Not, There Is No Try"
                                  "Yoda"

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!