Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas crossing

• 18 Replies

Offline aircrftmec

• Jack Rabbit
Boquillas crossing
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
What is the latest about opening the Boquillas crossing? I have just spent 2 hours reading posts here and some lead one to "have hope" that the crossing may open again in the near future, any info would be appreciated .

Rob

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Boquillas crossing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
It appears real and scheduled for April 2012.  Bring your passport . . .

Al

Offline DesertCow

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
Found this article

http://www.alpineavalanche.com/news/article_8a4e0412-19e8-11e0-bce6-001cc4c03286.html

Looks like it is going to open in April 2012!

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
This thread (link goes to a particular post of mine) is probably the most pertinent source of info on this topic here.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline aircrftmec

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies, wish it was going to be open for this years visit in Nov.

Rob

Offline Traces of Texas

• Jack Rabbit
    • See My Traces of Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
What crossing are they talking about that was closed in 2002?  The man with the little boat who rowed you across the river?
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas, it is the garden spot of the world. The best land & best prospects for health I ever saw is here, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."

-- Crockett's last letter, to his children

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
What crossing are they talking about that was closed in 2002?  The man with the little boat who rowed you across the river?
That'd be the one.

Offline rawles

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
Latest word from the Park Service is they still plan to have Boquillas Crossing open in March/April 2012, but that date remains a tentative target. The multi-agency, bi-national discussions leading to the crossing reopening have been rather complex - but appear to be moving forward.

RE: Passports to cross at the Boquillas Crossing DHS kiosk MUST be the new ones with the electronic chip. Additionally, it appears that only Americans, Canadians, Mexicans will be permitted to legally reenter Texas at this Class B Port of Entry, or so I've heard.

Rawles

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
RE: Passports to cross at the Boquillas Crossing DHS kiosk MUST be the new ones with the electronic chip. Additionally, it appears that only Americans, Canadians, Mexicans will be permitted to legally reenter Texas at this Class B Port of Entry, or so I've heard.
The new passport cards should have the chip as well. Personally I just have the new passport.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
How would it work for Mexicans visiting the US, then returning to Mexico?  ???

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »
How would it work for Mexicans visiting the US, then returning to Mexico?  ???

As of this moment and in accordance to what I have seen how it is going to be set up, on the US side, for the Mexicans. Since there won't be a walking or riding bridge to unite both points and hence any tourists coming in to Mexico means they can ONLY walk in to the country in a Chalan (paddle boat). And this means that any tourists or nationals entering Boquillas,Mexico can only go to walking distances at all.  So if any Mexican Nationals are coming back to Mexico, if any there will be an Army post checking your papers out as a citizen of Mexico via the IFE Tarjeta de Elector.

Or your Mexican Pasaporte.

Either way, you are not walking to far off from Boquillas. Any place else you want to go, you are going to need a ride and the Bus ONLY comes on Mondays in the morning and leaves in the afternoon for Muzquiz. And that is it...there is no more means of transportation out of Boquillas, except by personal vehicle.

To walk it, would be a death march. It is so isolated from the rest of the State. You have to go there to see it for yourself.

Of course, the day the US decides to build the bridge. Mexico was ready since the last time I was there, it will mean a whole  set of infrastructure for the place: Customs pesonnel, Inmigration offices, Military Posts and electronic Surveillance. It will have to be something really worth it, in order to start taking a look at. And it is supposed to be ONLY a park gateway, not a commercial port of entry.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
I am so looking forward to this... I never made it to Boquillas when the crossing was open. The best I have are images from a 600mm lens and that doesn't have smell, taste, or sound...

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »
Evidently the lady that used to run the little cafe/shop that served the tiny tacos moved back a few months ago to prepare for the reopening.  Thank goodness my kid's orchestra is taking a trip to Ireland in two months or I wouldn't have the passport for when we return to BiBe next year.  Would hate to miss out on the tiny tacos...

Will continue to miss the full menu at Maria Elena's in Santa Elena, though.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
Evidently the lady that used to run the little cafe/shop that served the tiny tacos moved back a few months ago to prepare for the reopening.  Thank goodness my kid's orchestra is taking a trip to Ireland in two months or I wouldn't have the passport for when we return to BiBe next year.  Would hate to miss out on the tiny tacos...

Will continue to miss the full menu at Maria Elena's in Santa Elena, though.

Best of news!  Don't forget the "tiny" burritos 3 for a $1.00, too.  Same ingredients --- it's all about presentation . . .  Price has probably gone up a bit during the last decade but all things considered very well worth the money. 

Incredible views, the nicest people; an endless supply of homemade tacos or burritos, hot sauce and beer: priceless.  Joe Falcon has passed on but the tradition, it appears, lives on.  Viva Boquillas!

Al
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:23:59 AM by Al »

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »

Rawles

Humm. might have to get a new one then. Mine doesn't expire for a couple more years and isn't a biometric passport. It is SUPPOSED to be good till it expires even though it isn't biometric. Will have to investigate this more.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!