Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas del Carmen - What should you expect if you go across from BBNP

• 35 Replies

Offline On the Road Again

• Kangaroo Rat
We'll be visiting BBNP.   I noticed the Boquillas Border crossing is now open.
I have never been to Mexico (and I do have a passport).   Is it worth crossing over ?
What do you do ?  Once you cross the river, is it a long walk to town ?

I'm trying to get an idea on what to expect and what to do if we do cross over ?

It will be in June - is the river shallow enough to walk across ?

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
You basically are going across to give them money for beer, food or blankets.  You could walk across the river, but you would miss out on giving them money.  After crossing, it is about a 15 minute walk in sand to the town, or pay the guys with trucks or mules to give you a ride.  As crazy as it may sound, I would say that it is the safest border town on the entire US - Mexican border right now.  We use to go for the beer and tequila shots. ($1).  It was also fun to play the FF's for beers on the warped pool table in the bar. 

Hard to say what it will be like once the shine of the place wears off a little.

Make sure you come home by 6:00 pm or Johnny Border Patrol will ruin your life.
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
I have never been across, but I would make an effort to get LOTS of 1 dollar bills, and or a bunch of 5's. Im sure the little kids will try to sell you anything they pick up, not saying you have to buy from them, but just in case.

actually I heard you need to be back across the border at 5:30, is it now 6:00?
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline nita

• Jack Rabbit
If you go to Boquillas, buy whatever is sold. Maybe this will help with a recovery since the border was closed. I have even purchased pretty rocks.They look nice in a glass vase. Remember: you're in a different country. Don't expect things to be the same. Relax, and enjoy the occasion!

Offline billh

• Coyote
    • Wilderness in the City
we went several times. We took our little kids over, (all under 12) We ordered cokes and beers, bought souvenirs. We paid 1 buck a head to cross by row boat, walked into town or road the pick ups. I once left my camera in the truck and it was sitting there when I got back. Great time. 

Offline mollyd

• Kangaroo Rat
You walk through our customs building, and down to the river. You can either walk across or take the rowboat, which is hecka more fun and provides a little money for the people of Boquillas.
Rowboat, overseen by our old Friend Victor the singing musician, is five dollars; tickets can be purchased at the front desk at the lodge, the store at Rio Grand Village, or in Boquillas itself, at the tourist center.
From there, as has been mentioned, you can take a truck, a horse (although there are a few burros, most of them are horses) or walk into town. Make sure when asking about price to ask if it is roundtrip.
Once in the town, first stop is Customs; you  fill out a form, and the official will give you back half of it, which you will return on your way out. There is no charge for that.
The tourist center (they'll point it out to you) has you sign  in (for their records) and there is a room where the people of Boquillas can display their stuff for sale; there are the normal scorpions and walking sticks, but there has been more and more innovation of stuff... I've had the women do personalized bracelets for me, and the only take an hour or so, and I got them for my grand daughters and friends.
There are also a few quilts, there.
The cantina is there, and two restaurants as well... it's cool just to walk around for the afternoon, have some lunch...
They are working on obtaining permits to go into the surrounding areas, but haven't gotten them, yet, so no long trips are offered.
IMPORTANT: our border closes at 6, and if you aren't there, you will be spending the night in Boquillas. ALSO, the border is closed on Monday and Tuesday-- so you could conceivably be stuck for several days.
It is possible to rent horses for several hours and ride to Boquillas canyon (I think). You may also walk up to the old ore terminal. There are sand dunes you could take a walk to...or just walk around the streets looking at the cool houses.
While folks offered to guide us or show us their wares, they were never as pushy as other border towns; considering it from their side, I thought it was easy going and I was glad to help out a bit with the economic recovery. Since I bought a lot of personalized bracelets I went to four different houses and got 3 made at each house, to spread it around a bit.  Fun times!

Offline chris

• Roadrunner
 :13: I guess I need to get my stuff together and finally get a passport...and start planning a fall trip!

Offline Picacho

• Black Bear
I've only been once and it was in 1979.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and I still remember it vividly.  I'll definitely be doing it again.  I'll post some photos when I get around to it. 

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
El Pico trip?

Online Reece

• Black Bear
Just do it! You're already living dangerously just by going to Big Bend. It will be culturally enriching for you. Just think of all the miscreants of times past who galloped into Mexico to escape the law. There's an ancient mystique associated with crossing the Rio Grande that can't be put into words. It's better "felt" than "telt."

Offline On the Road Again

• Kangaroo Rat
Sounds interesting.

How much do they charge for the ride into town ?
Truck ?   Horse/mule ?

Don't want to carry to much cash.

If you say round-trip - how do you find the same guy ?

Online Reece

• Black Bear
Looks like some folks are about to get "border town" educated and Boquillas is a fine place to start, kindergarten so to speak.

Offline Picacho

• Black Bear
As with just about anything in Mexico, the charge is negotiable; however, don't be too tight as they need the money. 

Online Reece

• Black Bear

What happens at 6 pm, the fences go back up? Anybody really think I'm getting stuck in Boquillas when I can just walk back to my Jeep? Hey, I wonder if I could just drive the Jeep over and back - low water crossing so to speak.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!