Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas del Carmen - What should you expect if you go across from BBNP

• 35 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
What happens at 6 pm, the fences go back up? Anybody really think I'm getting stuck in Boquillas when I can just walk back to my Jeep? Hey, I wonder if I could just drive the Jeep over and back - low water crossing so to speak.
At 6:00 (or maybe 5:30, depending on the source), the entrance station closes, so you can't legally reenter the US. The crossing will be heavily monitored by cameras/sensors during hours the crossing is officially closed, so expect a visit from your friendly border patrol agent(s) should you come back across after-hours. As to driving a Jeep across, I'm betting that's also against the rules.

Offline mollyd

• Kangaroo Rat
I paid 8 dollars for the horse, and 4 dollars for a guy to pull the horse because I don't know how to drive one of those things! Was glad to give the money, although walking is nice and I get to work off some of the calories from the tacos at Falcones. To find the same guy...well, Boquillas is just not that big! Not hard to find someone; also, they almost all have radios.
Today I learned that there are beds to be had, some with indoor toilets, some not, with lights (but no outlets, although they are more than willing to charge your stuff for you). Just ask at the Visitor center if you want to spend the night.
I wanted to post that, as, speaking as a photographer I wanted to get the sunset/early morning light, which isn't possible with the border hours.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
I wanted to post that, as, speaking as a photographer I wanted to get the sunset/early morning light, which isn't possible with the border hours.

I've been waiting for the first photos to be posted.  Almost like the Iron Curtain has been torn down.  I wonder what it looks like now.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
I know there are 2 hot springs on the Mexican side near Boquillas.  A small one right below Delore's Buzzards Roost Bed and Breakfast and a larger one about 1/2 mile upstream from the crossing right next to the river.  At this larger one there are a couple of nice rock pools and the remnants of someone's failed venture to build showers.   I would be curious to know if anyone has gone to these hot springs recently and how they are doing?    TWWG

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
I expect if you do overstay your welcome you'll be talking to some agitated officials.

Please don't blow it for the rest of us.

As to pictures, here you go:

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2013/04/south-county-bureau-report-its-open-boquillas-welcomes-us-visitors-officials-media-folks.html

Voni
  sMiling
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
A few Jeep tracks running across the river won't ruin anything for anybody. How do you think those taxi trucks got over there, eh? There must be a low water crossing somewhere...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by Reece »

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
How do you think those taxi trucks got over there, eh?

Hmmm?  On the south road from Highway 20, Melchor Muzquiz and points beyond?
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
Hecho en México?
What would you wager on the chances of finding a clean title to any of those trucks? I think I'll stick with the burro for my mount. At least you can catch them in the wild, no harm no foul.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:02:36 PM by Reece »

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
The Mexicans use to drive across in a pickup truck and bring a bunch of make-shift gas containers over to the Rio Grande village store.  Fill them up, and drive back.
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
Lot shorter trip than the southern route to get gas.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Another great article (with video) here:
http://bigbendnow.com/2013/04/new-port-reunites-residents-on-both-sides-of-the-border/

With regards to the 5:30 deadline, that seems to be when the last boat comes back across from Mexico. If you miss it, you either wade back or wait until the next day.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
http://discoverboquillas.wordpress.com/

Pictures from that homebuilt, are amazing...brought back a lot of memories. Ready to go back on a snap.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline perterra

• Coyote
A few Jeep tracks running across the river won't ruin anything for anybody. How do you think those taxi trucks got over there, eh? There must be a low water crossing somewhere...

Go for it, let us know how it works out for you.

Offline scottnaustin

• Kangaroo Rat
El Pico trip?

We climbed El Pico in January 2001....are you seriously wanting to do it?  Because I wanna try to do it again.  Tell me more!  :-)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!