Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Giant Crystal Cave

• 6 Replies

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Giant Crystal Cave
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Giant Crystal Cave
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
Yes i have, Superman's fortress was posted initially by Badknees on This link here. But you already know that.

What specifically do you want to know?.

Homero
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
I watched the last 25min. of the show last night. Pretty interesting. They stated that the cave would be flooded soon. I wasn't 100% of the reason, but I caught that it had something to do with returning the cave to it's natural state and allowing the crystals to keep growing.

From the core they took from one large, fallen crystal, they think the cave is as old as 1/2 billion years. The one scientist who did the dating stated that the crystals grow about 1.5 mm per 1000 years.

Since I missed the first half of the show, I wonder what was stated. I bet they covered the history of the cave (how it was found, etc.).

They kept trying to gain access to a tight passageway deep within the cave. There was a definite draft of air in the passage, and they suspect there's more chambers beyond. Whether or not they hold giant crystals remains unknown.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »
Actually I had forgotten.  Interesting show.  The cavern was found in a mine in Delicias, Mexico after the water was pumped out of a cavern. 

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »

From the core they took from one large, fallen crystal, they think the cave is as old as 1/2 billion years. The one scientist who did the dating stated that the crystals grow about 1.5 mm per 1000 years.

They kept trying to gain access to a tight passageway deep within the cave. There was a definite draft of air in the passage, and they suspect there's more chambers beyond. Whether or not they hold giant crystals remains unknown.

WOW !!!...amazing, wish you had more info on that TJ. I won't get to see the episode, until next year since that is how long it takes Natgeo to translate the program in to spanish.. :icon_frown:

Actually I had forgotten.  Interesting show.  The cavern was found in a mine in Delicias, Mexico after the water was pumped out of a cavern. 

Al

These are the coordinates for Delicias,Chihuahua, my friends...let's fly over there right now. Don't forget to pick me up, on your way there...Google Earth takes care of that, and much more.

Lat:  2811'23.68"N

Long: 10528'26.40"W
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:24:31 PM by homerboy2u2 »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
WOW !!!...amazing, wish you had more info on that TJ.

The crystals are selenite (some variant of gypsum) and some are as soft as your fingernails. The researchers think the cave was rocked by a strong earthquake long ago due to the fallen crystals and apparent damage.

The research operation looked pretty sophisticated. They had a control room outfitted with computers and sensors monitoring the environment and the people inside the cave. Only a few researchers at a time would enter the cave while wearing special cooling suits with respirators. The control people would monitor them and the time they spent inside. The people in the cave would be ordered out when their time was up (I think I recall the time limit being 30 - 35 minutes).

It's definitely no joke. The guys who walked out of the cave after spending their time limit inside looked totally wiped out. They were breathing heavy, tired, and saturated with sweat.

One scientist was testing a special probe that non-destructively scanned for organic material within the crystals. I believe his research was for NASA, and he was developing a sensor that could be used on Mars. He was testing it in the cave to prove the sensor's capability in an extremely harsh environment.

They did indeed find microbiological life within the crystals, and are now studying the samples. They think some of the bacteria that was captured inside the crystals as they grew could be ancient (i.e. some of the first life on Earth).

They were also interested in the life forms that could withstand such a harsh environment, growing while submerged in mineral-rich water that was 50+ deg. C and in the dark.

They said the air inside the cave was cooling about 1/2 or 1 degree per year. This is because the cave was drained and the naturally warm water that normally resides there is now being pumped out continuously. They believed the mine's operator would probably agree to stop pumping and let the cave return to its natural state, and that would allow the crystals to start growing again.

They didn't say anything about future exploration, but if the cave was flooded, then they could possibly use a small ROV (remotely operated vehicle) to explore the cave system further. I know such ROVs exist because they're used quite often in underwater research, search & rescue, and salvage operations.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
Amazing!!!..let's hope that only the scientists get to go inside and do more reresearch. From some friends from Chihuahuha, they say those caves have a normal ambiant temperature of 50?C inside in pitch black surroundings. I know , i can't stand that for 30 minutes. Glad there is more people instead of me, who are reporting their findigs.

Thank you TJ.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!