Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel

• 172 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2008, 08:02:09 AM »
Homero,

Thanks for your insight.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunne
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
Dusk was starting to settle in, Maderas del Carmen. SDC's biggest sister and mountanous cedar and pine cone haven, gave me a good fare well  to that beautiful day.

The whole ridge line was being struck by the last rays of sunlight left for it....to see these amazing Sky Islands,very unique was a show worth many times more our aches and pains from the trip we had just returned.

Back at the house there wasn't any need for me to be there,most all of them were trying to help out Conrado, i would not add anyhting there but get in some one's way to do their jobs. I went up to this hill and captures some more oictures of Las Norias.how simple life was here and yet how precious. I did not hear anybody tell me they wanted to leave. They know they are in one corner of paradise.

I filled everybody's mattresses,tended to my wounds. Man i was aching all over,took some pain reliefs, had dinner with them ,joked a while, had a blast of a round table with all of them and were celebrating our successful trip over to the mines. Aurelio Jr. had never been up there before and also very happy to have achieved this with us. I was happy for him as well. Things were coming about real well for me, all things were unfolding as planned...so far.

A great idea for some Basin showers,cheap, easy to set up,very eficient and you can plug a big water deposit to it that you can warm up the life giving fluids and take a warm bath.It was the best in my life..

NExt day we headed over to Boquillas del Carmen and tried to see as much as possible of the towns things and places there were for visit.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:11:08 PM by homerboy2u »
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunne
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
Our forst stop was at the Ojo Caliente Military check point,all was normal. said hi to the young soldiers there, they checked out our stuff...looking for guns, then they let us go on our way. Nothing to report out of the ordinary.

The sign I was looking for, signaling the entrance to Boquillas del Carmen.....finally!!!.

You could see the entrance to Boquillas Canyon flanked by the Terminal Mountain, which i hope by now we all know the origin of the name and the end of our discovering journey to the Rio Bravo.

GE Waypoint: N29 09.814 W102 54.813

I wanted to show them the Boquillas dunes, some sand dunes that are very unique to the area,which i have not seen in any other place with in the zone. They loved it..

When we entered Boquillas , i was surprised to see so much movement of contractors,18 wheelers,road pavers,materials haulers...this was a Sunday and it was bustling like i had never seen it before. This was good, i thought.

I asked some truck drivers what were they doing in Boquillas and they said they were delivering construction goods to restart the construction of new homes that were ravaged by the recent river floodings that punded Boquillas housing almost to the ground. many were there to rebuild all downed houses, dirt roads, relocate homes that were too low on the river level and i could believe all the people that were tending to these men. I think Boquillas had not been this alive, maybe since te mining days, if any.

No drinking is allowed while they are working there, so the Park Bar was empty of licquor and had some cold ones there, which i bought one and a Coke, it was refreshing to say the least.Since it was getting warm for the day.

I bet these pictures begin to bring back memories, to many here...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:25:00 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »
The Park Bar...they opened it for us, played some pool there and drank some cold breweds!!!...i will just post them and hope to read all of your thoughts for now.

Maybe some of you left their sticker there, it is still there. Find yours...

It has a lot of history and have been it's guest there..money well paid for some cold ones after a hike,some tacos or Menudo....what times  i bet.

He passed away in 2007.... :icon_cry:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:39:57 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Homero, Wow, that brings back some great memories.  Thank you again for sharing your insights.  It is bitter sweet.  I can't help but ask another question.  How many miles did you drive from your home to get to Boquillas? 

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
If it is ok with you, i will post this answer at the very last of the TR, when i post all the Waypoints along the way and what ever additional information i may have as well.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »
It is more than OK.  Thanks.

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2008, 11:31:57 PM »
After checking the town we decided it was time to go home, we did miss the awsome hot springs in the middle of Ojo Caliente and Boquillas, plus the entrance to the Boquillas Canyon where the Geo site is, but thing is after the last summer floodings from Ojinaga and the Luis Leon Dam...( you all know the story of this), the passage was completely blocked. Townfolks say it was mud up to the chin at some places, easily 4-5 feet in height. We needed heavy equipment machinery to get to those spots.

It was going to be cleared but there were other priorities to deal first , then the springs and the Geo Site would be dealt. So we left town , after 2 pm. It was good to be there once again.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »
Driving back we crossed the Puente del Burro bridge, where just a couple of kilometers down the road one comes across the De los LLanos Canyon, I saw this place back at Aurelio's house, him sitting on a Mule and they took his picture it was a great picture, but lucky us we went with Aurelio Jr. and he took us at the same spot his father posed for that picture.

Puente del Burro Bridge GE Waypoint: N29 07.501 W102 53.387

De Los LLanos Canyon GE Waypoint: N29 06.145 W102 52.650

Now let me share some pictures of the place...

From the Las Norias-Boquillas road

Half a kilometer from the side of the road, there is this gravel walk way, it stretches for a good half of a kilometer, towards the canyon.

Just before entering the place..

Before entering the canyon one can see the pour off changing colors from light brown to grey in many scales of shades as well.

There is alot of fine dust sediment from the rains, it sure piled up!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:16:34 AM by RichardM »

Offline TXdave

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2008, 01:47:14 AM »
Damn, this is such a treat. Sounds cliche, but I feel like I've been given a small glimpse to something that up until now I've only imagined.

Thanks-

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »
Sure TxDave, thank you for tuning in....Now on with our last installment of the trip.

Just before saying our goodbyes to Aurelio Jr., i wanted to catch the last picture of the area getting the Sierra del Carmen's last view before,starting to head back to reality. It was still beautiful to admire it.

And as i proceeded to go forward, my last shot of Las Norias...

What a great time i had there, the memories are there for good and i will return another time to explore it some more,maybe find a way o go up to the El Jardin area once again.

Heading back, i could not help myself look to my side and admire the Maderas del Carmen range, i am not sure if this is El Pico or Loomis peek, i have to find out for myself . Maybe organize another excuse...i mean another trip to this amazing land i call heaven.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »
We just had to stop in the La Capilla place , there truck drivers stop to say their prayers before going up Cuesta de Malena.Believe it or not, that place is very high in elevation and from Octuber all the way down to March...sometimes April too, it gets frozen when ever a cold front moves in. If it is sleeting anywhere else, it will definitly be snowing in this area, hence the prayer site.

There was this very old sign , that when everything was a dirt road,back in 2000 when i went for the first time, you could see how the road continued on and on until both ends met and became a single line in the desert. Well this sign just so happens to be laying on one side, beneath a small concrete drainage the crosses both sides of the road, there it was laying for us to grab it, capture it on digital and put it back to it's place.

Muzquiz 190 kms.
San Miguel 31 kms.
Ocampo 206 kms.

The guy with the hat was Mr. Lucio Atayde, he was in La Capilla waiting for a ride to Muzquiz to pass by, we took him with us.He turned out to be a treasure chest in information about the area.Man, did i learn so many things from him on the way back to Muzquiz. He  had a brother ,Valente Atayde, who happened to live in Nava, the small town that is very near Piedras Negras. This world is so small?.

GE Waypoint: N28 46.782 W102 40.956

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:13:12 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:18 PM »
Some :photoflash:  of the chapel in the fork....

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:44 PM »
The highest point in elevation of the trip was at La Cuesta de Malena...1590 meters above sea level, and from the looks in the area it still was not the highest point in the area. There maybe some good information hidden on the internet about the doorway between the Chihuahuhan Desert and the the lush green valley of Santa Rosa de Lima, very clearly you see here how the vegegation changes from desert flora to mid range mountain grasslands and cedars, still no presence of pines. Those are situated at even higher elevations in this area.

There were many rockslides along the ever loose road...

All of this?....all of this unchartered territory...for me. We need to resolve this folks.

GE Waypoint :N28 43.008 W102 29.984

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 06:35:29 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
You can see how the landscape changes abruptly from desert vegetation: cacti,ocotillo,Prickly pear,you name it. To Cedar at the highest point in Cuesta de Malena on the highway is: 1590 meters, but not the tallest peak i saw there, then changes back at the drop end of the La Cuesta , where Malena is buried there 1000 meters in elevation and the natural grasslands make their presence. Like carpets of green grasslands. it rains alot here and conforms one of the greenest valleys in the state.

Some desert and plains vegetation intermingle, but you bluntly see changes in the type of greens there.

GE Waypoint for Malena's resting place; N28 43.923 W102 29.329

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:33:31 PM by homerboy2u »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!