Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel

• 172 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
wow, thanks for posting those butt puckering moments!  I love living vicariously through you Homero in your excursions in Mexico.  One day I hope to do it with you!  Keep 'em coming, Hermano!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Homero, very cool.  What a great trip!

Al

Offline walkingman06

• Coyote
    • Walkingman
You are the man, Homero!  Pretty exciting stuff.  Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

:eusa_clap:
Moving in silent desperation
Keeping an eye on the holy land
A hypothetical destination
Say, who is this walking man?
James Taylor
Posted from Tulsa, OK

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
On our way back,we were laughing,joking on many things and basically settling in from all the places and elevations we had been.

Aurelio stopped us at this place to admire it and he said locals call it La Troza de Elvira,a nice place where i was up there once admiring the view down at the time,it was nice to reflect on this spot.I think we stood there for a good 20 minutes, in silence...maybe we were all thanking God, in our own way for this spectacular opportunity.

GE Waypoint: N29 06.775 W102 50.289

Or perhaps I should say: La Troza de Elvira

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/serranias-del-burro-del-carmens-el-carmen/nov08sierra-del-carmenpuerto-rico-mineboquillas-del-carmen-and-the-tunnel-t6716.0.html;msg68063

It's on top but scroll down a bit and enjoy.

Al

Offline East Texan

• Diamondback
A little late on posting to this thread but I read the whole report today.  Thanks so much for posting.  I have always wondered about life across the river.  Now I have a better appreciation for it.

Wonderful photos and information. :eusa_clap:

Friends don't let friends shoot JPEGs

If it doesn't stick you, sting you, or bite you, then it must be a rock.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Homero, that truck picture was great.  What a shine!  Obviously at the start of the trip.  What happened?

Al

Thing is Al, since our beloved administrator is fixing the NEW look on our webpage, and we have downed the "preview" button i was doing a test to see how i was going to post the pics here. Now back to our movie.... :icon_biggrin:

Friday November 7 came, i could not catch any sleep the prior night and was layed flat on my bed , but with ny eyes open. To many things were going 100 mph in my head, too many issues i was reviewing one and two times to made sure nothing was left back, or left out for this trip. I could not wait for morning to come...i guess i was not alone, for later in the trip everyone was saying they had not slept the night before....we were just to eager to get this going.

Here's a GREAT thread for those like me who need help to pass the summer doldrums.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/serranias-del-burro-del-carmens-el-carmen/nov08sierra-del-carmen-puerto-rico-mine-boquillas-del-carmen-and-the-tunnel/165/

Al

Offline aircrftmec

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
Just found this post...all I can say is WOW. I would love to see the other side of the river and experience the culture.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
Just hold on to your stirrups, it gets even better....soon enough, I promise.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!