Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel

• 172 Replies

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Well our trip over to Sierra del Carmen was a mixed blessing. Our trip  started as planned,but later after picking up our first traveller,it turned a little sour. One of our coolers fell from the truck on a U-turn, we did not noticed it because my truck is so big and with the new engine,it revs up so many RPM's that we saw it until we picked up our next friends in the the town of Allende. So other than the meats, we had to buy everything once again,bummer.

I have tons of pictures,almost 370 on my end,some videos i need to load up (sorry,there will be no music in them) and i need to gather pictures from my other buddies as well to share them with you all.Specially the ones from Gilbertosl,who is an excellent amateur photographer.

The temps over the Puerto Rico mine,plunged 20 degrees easily at dusk and the site is spectacular to have EL Pico just above us. The strenous conditions of the road up,took a toll on my F-350 and the jeep that went along for the trip. I came back in one piece but we had to haul the jeep back to town. It is part of the adventure.

So folks,it is good to be back again,i just got caught up with the current issues on the board,now to upload the pictures and videos and start the thread.

Technology is excellent ,over in the desert and things are beggining to pick up in Boquillas del Carmen.

Right now is IMPOSSIBLE to go up to Sierra del Carmen,due to the fact that the rcent desert rains washed out completely the ONLY entrance to the area called El Jardin ,the garden. So the only way in right now is to go thru the other side of SDC and go up thru a private ranch,which the owner happens to live in Piedras Negras,so another trip could be schedule for the near future...ro Big Bend.

Well, let me get to the uploading part and will start to post right away. BTW,if you have noticed, my username has chnaged from Homerboy2u2 to homerboy2u...just FYI.

Regards

Homero
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:19:11 PM by homerboy2u »
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Well, let me get to the uploading part

we're waiting :nailbitting:
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
You're as bad as me, Homero...give us a teaser and walk away!

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
  • I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...
    • Casa de Hawkins
?D?nde est?n las fotos?  :eusa_naughty: :eusa_naughty:
It has been discovered that research causes cancer in laboratory rats.
http://hawkinshaus.blogspot.com/

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
Fellas...I even have Detailed Waypoints for you to follow it on Google Earth: Basecamp,floor level for the Puerto Rico Mine,The Tunnel...all the villages around Boquillas del Carmen,Sat-Phone Numbers,i did my homework for all of you guys and gals.

Videos of the Mine and the ruins where they used to do the smelting, before sending the ore over thru the terminal basket system to the Mariscal Mine smelting operations?. Ancient stuff,if you ask me,i was inside of the blast furnace....guys!,let me get out of here,please and finish my stuff!!.

Teaser,later today..... :icon_biggrin:

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
Teaser #1: I'm gonna need some help from the Moderator here...while i go and upload the rest. RicardoM ?..please resize. (done)

Teser #2: On the deck of the Puerto Rico Mine

O.K...i now know i need to resize these things,Uuggghh :eusa_wall:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:38:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
The picture sizes are displaying fine on my computer... they look great!!  Please upload more as that is an area most of us here will never get to see for ourselves.

Moderator note: you should've seen them when they were over 3000 pixels wide! :icon_eek:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:39:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
I'm glad you had a good trip, Homero.  I can't wait to hear more!

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
Hey Doc Roy...maybe it would be a good idea if you could contact Joelg, for this thread,with his report on Hi from the Ore Terminal, was the the one that spark my  interest to go and visit this area,i am pretty sure we could get a lot of insights from him,given that he has done a lot of research of this area and could contribute to this trip report.

I know he has not posted since, but i think it would not be a bad idea,if you could get in touch with him and invite him over.

Folks, i am almost halfway thru with the pics and videos, i want to get to it yesterday...almost done here.

Saludos
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:00:18 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
Hey Doc Roy...maybe it would be a good idea if you could contact Joelg, for this thread,with his report on Hi from the Ore Terminal, was the the one that spark my  interest to go and visit this area,i am pretty sure we could get a lot of insights from him,given that he has done a lot of research of this area and could contribute to this trip report.

Homero,
The Ore Terminal was also discussed within this thread.

Patiently waiting... :eusa_drool:

Don
Fort Worth

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
....DONE !!!!!........ :shocked: I thought i never see the end of it.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
....DONE !!!!!........ :shocked: I thought i never see the end of it.

You're not done until my eyes see the photos :eusa_naughty:
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
BK, Homero is hard at work to share pictures and video but has run into a few technical problems.  Patience, por favor.  He's all over it . . . time is relative, the desert is unchanging.

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
O.K....this is so lame, but i have been very busy here and  swamped with work ( yeah i know, blah blah blah) in order to start my trip report. In the meantime,i want to post my fiend Gilberto Sanchez's pictures to calm everybody's jets?...God, i love this board :icon_lol:, so to speak. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:...while i write my detailed trip report.Folks,again pictures,videos and waypoints...i have it all, and as always i will need your help on this to put up more information, for all to share..ok?.

So?, here is the link to start enjoying some spectacular pictures from Gilberto Sanchez, with his new Panasonic Lumix camera...enjoy.

http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/568699239iydKtV

.........I shall return!!!...onward,thru the fog!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Homero, it's great to see the mine shots from below El Pico, it's also great to see the Boquillas Bar is still operating.  It's sad to see Joe Falcon's place shut down. 

Al

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!