Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel

• 172 Replies

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunne
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
I followed these men to another site they were extracting more ore, just to get a better idea of  the magnitude of the operation.

My conclusion is this:
 Either the price of lead and zinc is very tentalizing  to push this method of extracting the ore from this site, with this precambric working conditions or this is a shuttle project to evaluate if this site is worth the while to really invest and see if it is feaseble to invest hard on the project to get to the goods. The owner of the mine has the claim to the place and they said he had a mineral washing plant in Eagle Pass ,ready to have it imported since he discovered another claim site up near the El Jardin area where they can still move the heavey equipment up and mine some more with out getting in to trouble with the Ejidatarios who protect the area very jealously. This could be the very detonant issue to dinamite the blocked pass in El Ca?on del Jardin and push the minig undustry even further. All falls on  the luck of the draw...

A vertical air shaft connecting to other levels of the mine, which i did not see how to gt up there.maybe it was done by previous miners... :eusa_think:

The inisde shot, just to prove i was there...scary.

Here with Aurelio..our guide. It was also his first time entering the mine. He was excited as we were, what an experience.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
Homero, I can't believe you've been holding this portion of the trip so long . . .  Excellent tour and inquiry.  So they are mining the ore but not hauling it off for processing?

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunne
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
It was time to doubleback and catch a breather,nice to see sunlight once again..

Then Gilberto tells me there is another shaft up ahead,if we followed the narrow dirt trial we could hit it in no time. No time to think, just react, we were there we just could not waist this opportunity to explore more of the mine..up the road we went and in to the second shaft where on the outside was the barrel chute, going all the way down where the dump truck backs in to place and the mineral ore is dropped to the truck bed. It was a long way down.

Veni vidi vici !!!

Samples we brought of Lead and Zinc ore..

I asked them to pose one last time to record where we were...they were flvargasted, and so was i. What a trip this was....

One more shot of the beloved lady, before we headed back to Las Norias...this day was to be remembered , forever!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:41:49 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »
So they are mining the ore but not hauling it off for processing?

Al

Yes and No ,Al...they are mining for samples, bags basically to send them over to the labs up in Mexico,Monterrey..some where. These big mining companies determine the overall amount of mineral per tonnage and decide if it is a good project or not to invest heavily.

Still it has to be haul on a dump truck, down below to separate the rock from the ore, some mining formulas get in the way,while doing this and they are sent off to check all of the streaks in the lab.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:43:16 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline omacatl

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Nov/08:Sierra del Carmen-Puerto Rico Mine-Boquillas del Carmen and the Tunnel
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »
nice pics. always wanted to explore the other side of the river.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
On our way back,we were laughing,joking on many things and basically settling in from all the places and elevations we had been.

Aurelio stopped us at this place to admire it and he said locals call it La Troza de Elvira,a nice place where i was up there once admiring the view down at the time,it was nice to reflect on this spot.I think we stood there for a good 20 minutes, in silence...maybe we were all thanking God, in our own way for this spectacular opportunity.

GE Waypoint: N29 06.775 W102 50.289

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:56:05 PM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
When we got to Las Norias, we saw that Conrad's jeep was dragging behind us then completely stopped.It was idling but had no power,i dragged it over to the House and they took down the gas tank to check the pump or the fuel line,usually when you get a gasoline vehicle under heavy traffic of dust in the dirt roads, this tends to deposit right on the gas filter...it was not.

It was something else,more complicated....the jeep was not powering up and this was dragging for so long we lost the window of opportunity to go and check out how far deep the El jardin passage way was blocked to the way up.

After a couple of hours there was nothing else to do but to drag it to Conrado's town and have it fixed.Well thank God for the satellite phones, he called back home,ordered his driver to get the trailer ready and the diesel truck,fueled it up and sent him to the Capilla site to meet, he arrived at 1:am and it was cold to be there,glad i lent him my truck to go and lead him over to Aurelio's house , settled in, had dinner then go to sleep.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:28:17 AM by homerboy2u »

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
An interesting fact: Besides of having the Sat phone, they townfolks also have theirtalk radios, a great improvement fdrom the last time i was in that area. They say that in Las Norias they use channel 6, in Boquillas i think thy use channel 4 or 8, in Jaboncillos they connect thru channel 5 i believe.

Thing is, they are very well connected and with this little things they communicate with everybody in the valley. They can contact the area keepers up in El Jardin, they can talk in certain hours with folks in Boquillas and Jaboncillos in a direct line of communication with these babies. Life tends not to be that hard anymore. That is good.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »
Some late afternoon golden shots from the lady, before calling it a day and sharing the last moment of the adventure towards Boquillas Del Carmen...

Our last leg of the trip, was to be lived on a Sunday morning, it was going to be incredible....more to share on this......

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
Hey Homero,

I just got caught up on you trip.  It looks like you guys had a great time.  I've looked up that direction so many times from the north side of the river and thought how much I would love to explore up there.  Great report, great pictures and a great resource.  Thanks, man.

AC

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
Homero, I have so many questions I can't even start to ask.  Hope you have time to tell us more tonight!

Al

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »
Beautiful, beautiful pictures, Homero!  Thank you.

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »
Thank you everybody,for your comments, it sure was a more than expected trip.Let me say. I will pick up,sometime later......

Homero, I have so many questions I can't even start to ask.
Al

Fire away,Al.... :eusa_angel:

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
Homero, OK. A few very general questions. How do they get the stuff they need like the radios and first of all how do they know about them? Do they have FedEx delivery? Do they have internet? How do they make a living the middle of the desert?

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2008, 12:45:38 AM »
 [
How do they get the stuff they need like the radios and first of all how do they know about them?
Al

O.K.,they are very well organized, to my surprise: Aurelio being the town's phone keeper, has a store,very well stocked if i may add. He goes to Muzquiz,once every 15 days and resupplies on everything they need from bathroom tissue to bottled water,down to the basic food groups except meats,since not all of them have a Butane refrigirators,but they have cattle for those needs. In a small sense of a way,that is a luxury or rare to have,when one brings meat , they celebrate. Canned food is an excellent option, as well. Aurelio stocks the other ejidos stores as well and charges them for the trip,something modest so they can continue doing business with him, my guess.

Now everybody there has relatives in Muzquiz,some of them have homes as well, when they hit the town for a visit to the doctors, a wedding,personal issues to resolve, etc,etc. Aurelio has a house right next to one of his daughters who lives right next to him and picks up any local calls,sat phone bills, you know...any errands he needs to run, while in town.

All of them have relatives, friends,acquaintances who may live in Piedras Negras,Acu?a or any other border town in Chihuahua and they get all their goods from them. Novelties,new gadgets,latest trends, they are very well informed. They read the newspaper,magazines,books, when ever somebody brings it to town. Newspapers, is like the Holly Grail... :eusa_think:

Do they have FedEx delivery?
Al

No they do not. The only next best thing that arrives every Monday is the bus departing from Muzquiz, drops by Las Norias then heads on to Boquillas, it used to stay there for a day and then head back on Tuesday mornings but now a days it arrives in Boquillas on Mondays. Stays there for a couple of hours then heads back to Muzquiz the same day.

Should you want to send sometthing FedEx or any other courier service, i am afraid you can not do this, still... :icon_frown:

Do they have internet?
Al

I say they should, but after checking their devices thuroughly i came to the conclusion those are first generation sat-phone systems, they do not have an updated model persay thet could compress the sat signal and probably include internet bandwidth. Not yet.

I told them i would post their pictures on the internet on a very popular board, and got excited. Some of them told me that some tourists-painters arrived at Las Norias to capture the Sierra del Carmen's on canvass, later they told them they were going to post those prints on the web and would make them famous and all, but those are words that took the wind with it, IMO.

How do they make a living the middle of the desert?
Al

Several ways from what i saw: Ranching with some heads of cattle they may breed and sell,some very small time agriculture, Las Norias in english stands for the Boquillas wells, and they have a lot of water there, let me tell you. Others,work with Cemex in the Pilares breeding grounds, other work in the El Carmen Project, earn a very decent living. But this is nothing to what i came to terms there.

This is my honest blunt opinion on this issue:

I think they lost more than a way of communication in that isolated part of the world, they all have friends in Ruidosa, Terlingua,Ft.Stockton, Stillwell,Alpine, the very park with folks who live there, all the way up to Midland. They have relatives and lots o friends who used to cross back and forth to visit each others, spend some time together, celebrate some event, you know, share life with their neighbors. They do not feel as thought they are their neighbors across the Rio, they see them as intimate friends/relaitives whom their relations got severed after the border closings.

Folks from  the previous towns used to cross the river in the lowest point possible, with their trucks: San Vicente and went to visit their mexican friends, talk, have a dinner, stay for the night. Almost everybody there have spare rooms for visitors who no longer come, they themselves used to cross to the U.S. towns and visit with their friends and family, spend some good days there and get back  home...all of this way of living is lost and i know it may very well be for ever. They do not want to accept this fact but who am i to shatter their hopes and dreams that one day they can get get back to doing what they have been doing for generations.

It is just crazy to even ponder on this issue, who are we to abolish this way of living that has been going on for centuries, literally?. These are very difficult, sensitive issues i did not want to adress  , because i felt i could have dissapointed them . From what i have read here on this board. I just could not do this. That way of living is lost for good,given the current status...... :eusa_think:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:27:10 AM by homerboy2u »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!