Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2nd Time at Big Bend

• 3 Replies

Offline HoyAIAG

• Fighting entropy since 1981
  • Kangaroo Rat
2nd Time at Big Bend
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
Going to Big Bend March 28 - 31.  Is this a reasonable itinerary.  28 year old male (myself), 26 year old male, and 16 year old male (eagle scout).

March 28
Arrive at park 9am, drive to Rio Grande Hike Boqullias Canyon,
Drive to Basin check in at Campsite (already reserved) 1pm, Hike Lost Mine Trail

March 29
Hike from basin campground to Cattail Falls, return to basin campsite

March 30
Hike to south rim from basin campground,  Up Leguna Meadows Down Pinnacles (possibly side trip up Emory Peak if we have the energy)

March 31
Maxwell Drive and return to Houston
Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Churchill

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: 2nd Time at Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
Going to Big Bend March 28 - 31.  Is this a reasonable itinerary.  28 year old male (myself), 26 year old male, and 16 year old male (eagle scout).

March 28
Arrive at park 9am, drive to Rio Grande Hike Boqullias Canyon,
Drive to Basin check in at Campsite (already reserved) 1pm, Hike Lost Mine Trail

March 29
Hike from basin campground to Cattail Falls, return to basin campsite

March 30
Hike to south rim from basin campground,  Up Leguna Meadows Down Pinnacles (possibly side trip up Emory Peak if we have the energy)

March 31
Maxwell Drive and return to Houston

Looks pretty reasonable. I would probably drive to the Oak Spring Trailhead and do the Cattail hike as a shorter dayhike and then do something like Grapevine Hills, Burro Mesa Pourouff, or Ward Spring on the same day.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
I would switch the order of Lost Mine and Boquillas Canyon. Lost Mine's scenery is best in the morning.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
I would switch the order of Lost Mine and Boquillas Canyon. Lost Mine's scenery is best in the morning.

I agree, then you could hit the hot springs after Boquillas Canyon!! :eusa_clap: Bring a bathing suit and towel!
~Cookie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!