Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2nd Trip Must Dos or Suggestions?

• 33 Replies

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
Re: 2nd Trip Must Dos or Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »
Thanks bam.bam. I have seen El Cosmico and it looks like a neat spot, but unfortunately we have 4 and it seems their trailers can only accommodate 3.

We stayed at the Best Western, which I guess is now a Quality Inn, in Alpine this past January and found it fit our needs (a bed for each of us), was super-affordable when splitting the two rooms, and gave us a good night's sleep before hitting the outdoors.  We are all flying from various spots on the East Coast with connections, so ultimately we wind up getting in pretty late, so just being able to crash in a comfortable room is all we need.

And for full disclosure, we also want to get donuts from Baker's Dozen in Alpine again, so there's that too.... Priorities.....

The quick trip back to Marfa in the morning won't bother us too much as once we get on 67, it will be all new roads for us.

I am truly just as excited, if not more, as I was for our first trip.

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
Depending on when you are in Alpine, go visit the Big Bend Brewing Company and get a quick tour of the place. You usually can taste all they have going so you know what you want before you get a beer at the Chisos Mountain Lodge! Driving into Big Bend after a morning tour at the Brewery can be kind of fun! Taste Test Responsibly!
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline With Deacon

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
I'm a non-drinker so I'll be #donutwasted but otherwise sober.

Good advice, though, since last year when we were all sober, I managed to talk DD into turning the headlights off on the car for about 0.3 seconds to see how dark it was.

Dark is the answer.  Very dark.

Online Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
Leave your lights off for about 5 min or so and let your eyes adjust - you'll be surprised at how light it is from the stars/moon.  Very 'catlike'
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
In checking out FM-170, I see that there is a route from Marfa (2810/Pinto Canyon Rd) that takes you down to Ruidosa, where you can pick up FM-170 and take that down into Presidio and beyond.

Is that extra mileage from Ruidosa to Presidio worth it in scenery, or should we just take 67 down into Presidio?  How is 2810/Pinto Canyon in terms of road surface if you've done it? We will have a rental SUV without 4x4.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
There are several threads on this site about Pinto Canyon Rd. Just search for "Pinto Canyon Road" and they'll turn up.

Geezer

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Silly question here, but if we do a Marufo Vega dayhike and decide not to descend to all the way to the river, do we still get a view of the river along the way to the split? I've seen mention of Randell's, but I doubt that's a dayhike (please correct me if wrong) and I'm not sure we're really up for wayfinding too much.

How strenuous is the descent to and the climb back from the river? I realize it's a totally different environment, but is the footing comparable to the Pinnacles? One of us has had a recent ankle injury and quite frankly I don't fully trust my knee.

I guess I'm just trying to determine if the scenery is worth the effort if we only go as far as the split or wherever the descent begins? I realize that is obviously subjective and I'm probably inclined to think ANYTHING is worth the effort just because of where we are, but I'm trying to gauge what we would get to see along the way. Two of us are interested in photography, one of us likes the adventure, and all of us probably just want some GD peace and quiet!

And this trip is mid-January as a reminder.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:56:36 PM by Demon Deacon »

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »
Here's a screen grab from Google Earth showing the length and elevation profile for the hike to Randell's Overlook.
It is unmatched for a cliff's edge view of the Rio Grande. It's ~2.5 miles to the turn off and the off-trail portion is ~1 mile. You could easily track it with an iPhone GPS app.

Offline jssmith57

• Roadrunner
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »
For those who have been to Randell's overlook, are there any flat areas up there for a tent or two?

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
For those who have been to Randell's overlook, are there any flat areas up there for a tent or two?

Not really.  It is mostly rough limestone and sharp plants.  A few bare spots that the burros have wallowed out but not big.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline jssmith57

• Roadrunner
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »
Thanks M.E.

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »
Here's a screen grab from Google Earth showing the length and elevation profile for the hike to Randell's Overlook.
It is unmatched for a cliff's edge view of the Rio Grande. It's ~2.5 miles to the turn off and the off-trail portion is ~1 mile. You could easily track it with an iPhone GPS app.

Thanks Reece! That's great. I didn't realize it was that close to the trailhead.  That might change some itinerary planning...

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help in planning our return trip. I am pleased to report that With Deacon and I will be making our triumphant return this week along with some other friends.  We'll get to the park Thursday and leave Monday morning.  If you are in the area and see these guys out and about, please say hello.

Group shot overlooking the Mule Ears by AndrewNewton

As for itinerary, here's what we've come up with as a rough plan.  This is not necessarily the order, as the timing may be ambitious for at least the first day, but hopefully this is close.

Thursday
Closed Canyon (in BBRSP on the way down from Alpine/Marfa)
Dorgan-Sublett (if there's time)
Chimneys
Lower Burro
Homer Wilson

Friday
Lost Mine
Cattail Falls
Upper Burro
TJ Avery's workshop at 9 pm

Saturday
Marufo Vega (with side hike to Randell's)
Indian Head

Sunday
Devil's Den (or Dog)
Boquillas Crossing
Whatever else we couldn't get to or want to revisit from our first trip
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:51:14 AM by Demon Deacon »

Offline With Deacon

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »
So pumped for this trip!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help and friendliness!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
I don't know, you guys might be biting off more than you can chew.  There will be a lot of drive time in between locations that's going to eat you up.  You might want to see about modifying the locations so they are in a little cluster.   The drive time could eat into several hours and with this limited amount of light we have, I'm just not sure about that.   

Of course, I never get to everything I plan, so who am I to judge!

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!