Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

6 Day Trip

• 18 Replies

Offline nebryan

• Kangaroo Rat
6 Day Trip
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »
Hi y'all!

My fiance and I are going back to Big Bend in a few weeks. It's our second trip but this time we will be there for 6 days (M-Su morning) and want to fit in as much as possible!

We are staying at Lajitas Resort for the first 2 nights just because we love that hotel and the rest of the trip we are tent camping in Chisos Basin.

Would y'all please suggest some good hikes to add to our itinerary? We're both experienced hikers and like a good mix of doing day hikes and doing 2-4 shorter hikes in a day. We want to hit all three regions this time around - mountains, river and desert.

We are taking my Grand Cherokee this time so we will be able to access the trails that are off the paved roads. Last year we flew to Midland and rented an Impala so we missed out on a good bit of the park because we didn't want to damage the rental in any way.

Since we'll be at Lajitas Resort do y'all suggest we check out Big Bend SP for one of the days?

Thanks!

Online elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: 6 Day Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Check this out and read a few posts that will give you some ideas:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/suggested-itineraries/

Edit  :  I just saw that you posted in that forum. Sorry. guess it's not much help
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:40:52 PM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
It'll be easier if you let us know what hikes you've already done in the National Park.

A few to consider:
Pine Canyon
Ernst Tinaja
Emory Peak/South Rim

Offline nebryan

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
It'll be easier if you let us know what hikes you've already done in the National Park.

A few to consider:
Pine Canyon
Ernst Tinaja
Emory Peak/South Rim

Thanks for the suggestions.

We did Window Trail, Lost Mine, Boquillas Canyon trail, Hot Springs, Emory Peak, Laguna Meadows, Pinnacles Trail. We did the first 7 or so miles of South Rim but we want to do the whole trail this time around.

Offline nebryan

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Check this out and read a few posts that will give you some ideas:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/suggested-itineraries/

Edit  :  I just saw that you posted in that forum. Sorry. guess it's not much help

I've gone through a few threads and they are helpful but wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions that weren't mentioned.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
You may enjoy a desert to mountain hike. Blue creek is a good one, but would probably take a full day. Taking the window trail down to cattail falls and back is less strenuous, but still a very good hike.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
Marufo Vega; Not the whole thing though; make a lollipop loop out of the strawhouse part; Randell's overlook would be a great objective and give you a taste of bushwacking

Mule Ears

Lost Mine Peak

Pine Canyon

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
Apache Canyon
Mule Ears
+1 on the short Marufo Vega lollipop
Cross over to Boquillas
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »
Best bang for buck in the park is Huffman, right across from the LM parking area; just go straight up there; and of course Casa Grande is an awesome little bushwack; you can find the user trail at the Juniper Canyon overlook; hang a 90 degree right where the trail goes a 90 degree left; you should find the trail back three and just go up; if you angle to the left you will go past the natural arch; or to the right will get you there as well; you can come down "Casa Grande Direct" in about 20 minutes all the way from the top

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
The Santa Elena Canyon hike is mandatory if you haven't done it before. It's fairly short. Mule Ears Spring with an optional extension to the Smoky Creek area is a good desert hike. Upper Burro Mesa and Lower Burro Mesa Pouroff are good ones, with the latter being a short stroll more than a hike. Cattail Falls is a great one that side of the park. Depending on the air temps, the Chimneys hike is a good one.

Since you have a decent vehicle for the backroads, you can get to the Mariscal Mine. I've been dying to try the Mariscal Canyon Rim hike, but have never had the vehicle to get me to the trailhead.

Offline nebryan

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to make all those suggestions! I still consider us BiBe newbies even though we've been once before so this was really helpful.

I was getting a little overwhelmed trying to put together the itinerary but now it's shaping up pretty nicely. Embarrassing as it is to admit, I'm not very good at making itineraries - I've been going on yearly trips out West with my family and my dad has always been the one to plan the itinerary.

Anyway, I think we might nix a night or two in Chisos Basin in favor of backcountry roadside camping since it turns out the Jeep should be just fine on most backroads.

Thanks again guys

Can't wait to head west and get back out there!

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
while in lajitas take the mesa de anguilla trail to the saddle, great views of the river and mexico.

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »

Would y'all please suggest some good hikes to add to our itinerary? We're both experienced hikers and like a good mix of doing day hikes and doing 2-4 shorter hikes in a day. We want to hit all three regions this time around - mountains, river and desert.

If you have a passport then there is also a 4th region that opens upů. Falcon's Restaurant.  Amazing place to just sit and watch tiny tacos in their natural habitat.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
"In a few weeks" (April?) the desert could be very hot, like well into the 90's.  With few exceptions, there is zero shade.  You might want to consider what kinds of hikes you'll be able to do in the desert.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline nebryan

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
"In a few weeks" (April?) the desert could be very hot, like well into the 90's.  With few exceptions, there is zero shade.  You might want to consider what kinds of hikes you'll be able to do in the desert.

We will be there March 31-April 6. We were in BiBe April 4-8 last year and felt the most heat on the Boquillas Canyon trail. We didn't do desert hikes that trip but we're hoping the weather will be similar this year.

I'm a native Floridian (south Florida) and have spent most Summers since 1994 (June/July) hiking out in AZ, UT, CO, NM, etc. I also lived in Alabama for 9 years and currently live in Houston. I'm definitely used to extreme heat and know to take caution when hiking (or doing anything really) in the heat. We will for sure pay attention to the temps, dress properly, pack our daypacks wisely and hike wisely.

For late night entertainment in the tent last year, my fiance and I read aloud stories from Death in Big Bend to each other. Good reminder of the importance of cautiousness and preparedness when visiting BiBe.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!