Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Suggestions for a huge impression!!

• 5 Replies

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
  • I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...
    • Casa de Hawkins
Suggestions for a huge impression!!
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Hey everyone..... I have been to BIBE a few times, but haven't really explored every corner. I am taking a couple of hikers who have never been there before, for a three day adventure. Since we will be down there March 17-20, and this is unfortunately during spring break, I was hoping for some suggestions of hikes that will really blow their minds. Thanks for the help!!!
It has been discovered that research causes cancer in laboratory rats.
http://hawkinshaus.blogspot.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Suggestions for a huge impression!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »
Got 4x4 or at least high ground clearance?  If so, check out Pine Canyon.  The South Rim is always at the top of most lists.  Lots of others, but I'll let someone else chime in...

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
I think the South Rim is the best newbie hike in the Park.  If not then maybe Lost Mine or the Window.  Of course all of these places will be crowded during Spring Break.  Depends what you want:
- crowds and "must do" places
- dayhikes or overnights?
- have you considered the Mesa Anguila?  ~No reliable water right now but good dayhiking and less popular.

Generally I would say cowboy up, accept the crowds, and go for the South Rim overnight but you may not be able to get any back country campsites for the 1st night so plan to get permits ASAP then do something else for a day or two until you can get in.  Bring a list of alternative activities/hikes and phone numbers of alternative places to stay, eat, etc..  Your cell phone will probably not work in the Park but there are land lines in several locations.  Bring a bunch of quarters or a calling card... TWWG

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
You should be clear of most people's spring breaks, since UT and many other schools' spring break begins this weekend (which means Wednesday ... at noon).

Lost Mine is probably the best "Wow" dayhike for newbies. The Window is also a great dayhike. A good tour down Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive gives you options for hikes to Burro Mesa Pouroff (above or below), Red Rocks Canyon (Blue Creek Canyon, about 1 mile up from the Homer Wilson ranch), Mule Ears Spring, Tuff Canyon, and Santa Elena Canyon. If you have high-clearance, consider taking them to Mariscal Mine, which is on the River Road and then go by Glenn Springs. As mentioned, Pine Canyon is excellent, but you need high-clearance.

Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
  • I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...
    • Casa de Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks so much for the info..... we aren't afraid of a difficult hike, and we prefer spending two nights under the stars. I would love to take them on the South Rim, but given the possiblity of no available campsites, I'm not sure this will be an option. But.....maybe we will get lucky!
It has been discovered that research causes cancer in laboratory rats.
http://hawkinshaus.blogspot.com/

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
if you do the window trail, on your way out, head up the oak spring trail, the oak spring trail spurs off the window trail just before the pour off of the window. it will give you a great views

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!