Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip planning suggestions.

• 6 Replies

Offline haksaw4

• Kangaroo Rat
Trip planning suggestions.
« on: March 29, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
   I was wondering if  anyone  could give me and a friend some trip advise. We are planning on taking our KLR 650's(Enduro motorcycles) from Boston and NC to the Big Bend area. While stationed in TX, I hiked the Chisos into Mexico and ran the Rio Grande in the mid 90's. I noticed from peoples postings the La Linda Bridge is closed. We would like to ride over to the deserted mine 25 k south from La Linda and explore the Mexico Side. Again we will be comming from NC to Texas in a PU with two KLR 650's, leaving the pickup on the US side. Plan on doing the trip first week in May. Taking 6 days, in Texas,mexico. Was wondering what would be the best boarder crossing? What you need to cross boarder, ie Passport, title , permit. Gas on Mexico side, best place for maps. Best route, is it safe to camp on Mexico side ect. KLR potential problems mine is a newly purchased 1993 with 9k. If anyone has experience. Best GPS / Map program. Were people have purchesed gas in desolate areas.
   I really appreciate any time you could spend responding to this email.
   Thanks again, Ed Hartwell Boston Ma, email = haksaw4@hotmail.com

Offline Mrscookie

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Trip planning suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
The only thing I can really help you with is the border crossings.  You have a choice of 2:  Del Rio or Presidio, both of which will put you many many many miles from La Linda.   Do not try to cross into Mexico any place that is not an official crossing.  I have heard the BP is patrolling very heavily and they are stopping people for any and all reasons

Also, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have will correct me if I am wrong, but a good portion of the Mexican side from BB is a private reserve and very difficult to access. 

You might try to do a search here to find other info on this subject, I know I have seen other postings on this area.

Good luck,

The Cookie Baker

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »
Sadly the cookie lady is right.  Presidio and Del Rio are the only crossings sanctioned by the State.  Heavily patrolled, hmmm, yes.  Even in the vast expanse of desert, it's not advisable currently to cross any where else.   :icon_frown:

Although I have not experienced OJ myself, I hear it is a fine ciudad.  and, a portal to many beautiful things.

It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline haksaw4

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. Any more would be welcome. Black Bear, OJ?

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:04:36 PM »
There is a road that goes from Acuna, across from Del Rio, up to Boquillas. I haven't been on it yet, but a bus goes once a week so it's passable. Not sure if there is a road down from Ojinaga. Both border towns are great places to cross and eat or shop in. If you want to travel past 26 kilometers, you will need to stop on the Mexican side at the Aduana (Customs) and get papers. You better contact them in advance to know what all to bring. You'll need titles, insurance, a credit card, and passport or birth certificate and maybe some other stuff. Not sure about getting gas once you leave Musquiz. 

There is a member of this board, Homero, who lives in Mexico. Contact him and he can give you more details on driving in Mexico. He's part of a 4wd group that goes into the remote areas of the mountains in Mexico.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
There is a road that goes from Acuna, across from Del Rio, up to Boquillas. I haven't been on it yet, but a bus goes once a week so it's passable. Not sure if there is a road down from Ojinaga. Both border towns are great places to cross and eat or shop in. If you want to travel past 26 kilometers, you will need to stop on the Mexican side at the Aduana (Customs) and get papers. You better contact them in advance to know what all to bring. You'll need titles, insurance, a credit card, and passport or birth certificate and maybe some other stuff. Not sure about getting gas once you leave Musquiz. 

There is a member of this board, Homero, who lives in Mexico. Contact him and he can give you more details on driving in Mexico. He's part of a 4wd group that goes into the remote areas of the mountains in Mexico.

Aggiehiker : I have sent you 2 PM's . Do you know where they are? :icon_eek:

Sure thing..let me put my 2 centavos here, you can pay me at San Vicente,Chihuahua...where they serve some great tacos BTW.

Hello Hacksaw ;

From what the previous members write, all is true. The ONLY way to cross in to Mexico with out you getting in to any trouble is thru Presidio,Chihuahua...NOT the board member here :icon_lol:. But i do not recommend you taking this road, since it is almost all dirt road up to ejido Las Piedras and then it becomes a 4 lane highway up to Cuesta de Malena, then it comes back down a 2 lane highway down to Muzquiz. To go to Boquillas del Carmen is all a dirt road. Since you are driving  enduro bikes, you should not have any problems in getting there.

The other two border cities are Acu?a and Piedras Negras, both of them in  Coahuila. Ciudad Acu?a is neat place to catch a good meal, check out Amistad Lake and take a glimpse to the Serrania del Burro, which btw, happens to be a clear path thru the middle of immense ranches there that can hook you up to La Linda  and Boquillas del Carmen. Very rough road, very scenic where you can see the plains change in to awsome moutain ranges. That is the Serrania del Burro. I strongly do not recommend you taking that road, unless you know where you are going, the people in the big ranches and the commutter's off highway trucks to catch them. The ranchers have an VHF/UHF radio frequency where they are all connected to help themselves , should you need some assitance. There is an upcoming trip to la Linda which will leave this coming Thursday April 24th 2008, which will be a meeting trip for at least 3 state 4x4 clubs that plan   to bring them together  at La Linda. I will not go to that jeep trip,since i am aiming to go to the San Antonio Bender...still not confirming,partners :eusa_hand: okay?...I have some issues to deal here first. But i will give you the link to the trip planning , if you understand espa?ol, you should have no problem in tagging along with them. Here is Their Link .

Now Piedras Negras is a more tranquile tourist town where you can catch some eye exposure with your camera on the plaza de las culturas, and many many other places. Plus there are a ton of good places to eat here... and a longer but faster way to head on to Muzquiz. You can also get to Muzquiz from Acu?a, it is just that i am not sure if the buses leave on a daily basis. There are two ways to get to Muzquiz from here: one is to catch the daily bus with ATMR bus lines, which by the way they have one weekly route to Boquillas which leaves on Wednesday's and returns on Thurdays..that is it.

The other one, has much better buses than the previous busline: Coahuilenses, they can take you all the way down to Muzquiz...you can spend sometime there to check out all of the history, which has a ton of history anecdotes to read and learn from them, then hop to the ATMR busline and take the Wednesday bus to Boquillas del Carmen. Remember you do that and you have to get back the next day or you will be stuck there until the next week , when they do the trip again. DO NOT CROSS THE RIVER OVER TO BIG BEND, by any means..even if you are a U.S.Citizen, that will put you inline for a hefty fine: $ 5,000.00 Buckaroos and some jail time as well, what you did back in the nineties is long gone and trouble will be your only door if you try it again.

There are plenty, and i mean plenty of gas stations along HWY.57 up to Muzquiz, where you can stock up on gas station's fast food.The Oxxo's fill up stations are very well stock with quick draw burritos,sandwiches,soft drinks and all the crap we feed our kids with.Once you venture out of Muzquiz...not even a drop of water you will find to help you out. To be honest, i do not go there unless i bring at least 2 vehicles with me for assitance. I play it safe and nothing has ever happened to me on my trips there. i strongly suggest, that if you decide to venture out you do the same.

Now for some waypoints you can check out on Google Earth:

La virgen
2922'6.18"N
102 9'43.98"W

Norias
2913'43.02"N
10222'26.28"W

Ej Carranza
2911'50.52"N
10224'25.08"W

Interseccion
2910'24.00"N
10226'49.44"W

Ej. Morelos
29 6'8.16"N
10225'57.84"W

El Melon
2838'54.00"N
10215'52.14"W

Mina Agua Chile
2914'46.26"N
10232'7.14"W

Mina 4 palmas
2916'58.74"N
10234'8.34"W

La Tinaja
2926'57.30"N
10248'24.96"W

La Linda
2926'53.34"N
10248'53.94"W

Here is a Trip Report i did , this past July to the Mines of Aguachile & 4 Palmas of course.

Anymore questions, please fire away or PM me. I have more waypoints, if still interested.

Sorry for not reading this back a while ago.

Homero Jimenez
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline haksaw4

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
Thank you very much for the input and info Homero Jimenez and all others. Ed Hartwell

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!