Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

BBRSP and BBNP 3 night 4x4 Adventure; First visit

• 17 Replies

Offline Ranger Tim

• Coyote
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: BBRSP and BBNP 3 night 4x4 Adventure; First visit
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
" it's not nearly as telling about time frame/scale of the roads as compared to the NPS website for the NP portion, which is really what I'm needing the help with."

Unfortunately, that is a variable that I can't really help you with as that depends most on the pace that you keep and how often you get out for pics or to repair your rigs. What I can say is that the monsoon rains are hammering the park hard for the third year in a row and these aren't roads that receive regular maintenance. As a result, I would expect most routes to take even longer than they have in previous years. For instance, the Oso Loop used to take about two and half hours of non-stop driving and I would expect that to take at least four now,... maybe more. Javaline to Rancherias could take most of the day. The panhandle? Who knows if you can even get all the way to Casa Ramon?
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline NudeLobster

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
" it's not nearly as telling about time frame/scale of the roads as compared to the NPS website for the NP portion, which is really what I'm needing the help with."

Unfortunately, that is a variable that I can't really help you with as that depends most on the pace that you keep and how often you get out for pics or to repair your rigs. What I can say is that the monsoon rains are hammering the park hard for the third year in a row and these aren't roads that receive regular maintenance. As a result, I would expect most routes to take even longer than they have in previous years. For instance, the Oso Loop used to take about two and half hours of non-stop driving and I would expect that to take at least four now,... maybe more. Javaline to Rancherias could take most of the day. The panhandle? Who knows if you can even get all the way to Casa Ramon?

This is a totally fair point. Maybe I'll try to call up the ranger station and ask what the trail conditions are like and what to expect  :crossedfingers:

Offline Ranger Tim

• Coyote
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
Contacting the Sauceda Ranger Station (432-358-4444) is always a good idea, though they might not even know about the far flung 4x4 roads as they rarely get patrolled during the summer given the threat of flash floods and the low park census during the monsoons. We should know more after the rains end sometime in September. Stay loose and keep in touch!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!