Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Horn Sheep in BiBe?

• 5 Replies

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
Big Horn Sheep in BiBe?
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
I've read that they are in Black Gap and have been reintroduced at BBRSP, but have you seen them in the national park?  And if so, where? 
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline Juan Cuatro Lados

• Diamondback
Re: Big Horn Sheep in BiBe?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
Have never seen them in the national park.  Had a conversation with an archeologist re: bighorns in BiBe.  He was examining the question as to whether or not bighorns had ever been in the park area, and he was having a hard time finding evidence to support their presence.  Sheep images are notably absent in any rock art or petroglyphs in BiBe, and wherever they were found elsewhere in the southwest the rock art was full of "bighorn images."  (If anyone knows where there's a bighorn image in the area, please send a personal message.)

In view of this it seems the state is not re-introducing bighorns, they are introducing them where they were never present before, and removing predators from the environment for the sake of the new species, the bighorn sheep.

Now, about auodads, there are quite a few of them and they are easily confused with bighorns.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »
I'm currently reading Smithers' Chronicles of The Big Bend.  He has a photo of an aerial antelope roundup.  Apparently the antelope roundup was so large at one time that many of the animals had to be be shipped to other parts of the state.  Has anyone ever seen antelope in the park?

Offline Juan Cuatro Lados

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
Re antelope, yes.  As late as 1990 there were several antelope that could be predictably seen in the flats near the Fossil Bone exhibit.  There were also antelope present in the Rosillos Mtns. addition when it was added to the park in the late 1980's. 

Unfortunately they're gone, have been for quite a while.

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
I have also seen some antelope near and around the interior of the park, Persimmon Gap area.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
Have never seen them in the national park.  Had a conversation with an archeologist re: bighorns in BiBe.  He was examining the question as to whether or not bighorns had ever been in the park area, and he was having a hard time finding evidence to support their presence.  Sheep images are notably absent in any rock art or petroglyphs in BiBe, and wherever they were found elsewhere in the southwest the rock art was full of "bighorn images."  (If anyone knows where there's a bighorn image in the area, please send a personal message.)

In view of this it seems the state is not re-introducing bighorns, they are introducing them where they were never present before, and removing predators from the environment for the sake of the new species, the bighorn sheep.

Now, about auodads, there are quite a few of them and they are easily confused with bighorns.

Thanks for the info. 

I have also seen some antelope near and around the interior of the park, Persimmon Gap area.

Thanks!
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!