Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Casa Grande?

• 7 Replies

Offline uhcougar2010

• Kangaroo Rat
Casa Grande?
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »
I love hiking, BIBE, but iIve never had the opportunity to summit Casa Grande. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes from the Lost Mine Trailhead? I am going to be hiking with my father and uncle, so I need to know how strenuous the trip really is.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Re: Casa Grande?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
There's no official trail, but a social path heads up toward the crown from the Lost Mine Trail at about the 1.0-mile mark, the saddle with the great overlook of Juniper Canyon. Follow this path up toward the summit, angling for a small rock spire on the left side. The path is overgrown and faint as you get closer. The final 300 yards or so is a scree slope at a pretty wicked angle. Once on top, the peak is a large bowl with several high points surrounding a grassland and burnt tree basin. The hardest part is the initial descent down the scree slope, which is at best a controlled slide, and it can be much worse.

A description of my early March summiting of Casa Grande can be found here.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »
See also Hike Casa Grande! in the members only forum.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
GPS track to Casa Grande although the trail is not to hard to follow. The hardest part to find is the first 100 yds. The jog to the south near the 6500' peak is a great place to stop and check out Juniper Canyon.

I looked at the times on my GPS tracklog and we left the LM trailhead at 08:28 and arrived back at 14:07. About 5 1/2 hrs which included about 20 minute stop at Juniper Canyon overlook on the way up, about 40 minutes on top eating lunch and about 30 minutes talking to some people at Marker #10 on the way down. The round trip hike itself would be about 4hrs without stops ( at my pace, which isn't too quick). If it's any help I had my 10 yr old daughter along and she did it without too much trouble. That being said, read Jeff Blaylock's trip report and be aware that there are some places that certainly require sure footing and care. There is also a lot of hands, knees, and butts on the ground during both ascent and descent.

It is a great hike.

Overlook at Juniper

On Top

Basin from the Summit

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline uhcougar2010

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
thanks! those pictures look great. my uncle is really in to photography these days, and I'm sure he would enjoy the views. I have looked at the other posts and They provide a good source of info.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:49:36 PM »
Casa Grande is really awesome...just take it easy...

Here are some photos of the "trail"...

WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
Here's the virtual tour of the top of Casa Grande:

http://www.virtualbigbend.com/tour/casa_grande/window_view

There are four views from the top to look at. Just click on the squares from within the view to go to the next view.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
And if you goof and end up climbing the 6500' peak, you just might end up in a steep gully with tons of loose rock like my Dad and I did.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!