Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

First Time-7 day trip, January 2015.

• 4 Replies

Offline Fishdesert

• Kangaroo Rat
First Time-7 day trip, January 2015.
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
All, thank you for this incredible amount of information that is both helpful and beguiling in its thoroughness.  I wanted to give a brief outline of my plans for critiques/suggestion, and add a few brief questions.  Dates Jan. 24-31, 2015.

Night 1:  Arrive mid-afternoon.  Stay at Twisted Shoe (alt: Robber's roost, Rice Tank)
Night 2: Backpacking the Chisos: Start at Juniper Canyon, stay at JC1
Night 3: NE4 (alt: NE1, SE1)
Night 4: Leave Chisos stay at Twisted Shoe or zone camp if I don't make it all the way out.

The alternative for the Chisos:
Night 2: Go in at Pinnacles TH, stay at SW3 (alt: SW4, SW2)
Night 3: EP1 (alt:TM1, CO2).  This gives me the option to climb Emory Peak.
Night 4: Leave Chisos stay at Twisted Shoe
For either of the above itineraries: do I need to bring in ALL water that I will need (I have a filter)?

Night 5: Elephant Tusk
Night 6: Fresno.  I would like to day-hike Mariscal Canyon trail, but that would leave my truck at trailhead with a risk of break-in.  Should I be worried about this?
Night 7: Ernst Tinaja with a trip across at Boquillas.

My goals for the trip are scenery and solitude.  I have a 4x4 truck and plan on driving Black Gap north to south (problem?).  Do I need to have every exact campsite in place when I check in at the Visitor center?  What if I want to change it when I'm on the river road, but can't get back to a visitor center?

How much do I need to worry about vehicle breakins?  Unfortunately I will be doing car and backpack camping so I will have a lot of stuff.  Will my tent be safe while it's setup if I drive/hike and leave it behind for a few hours?

I realize that is a lot, but I'm a bit of an overplanner.  I appreciate any and all help from this great community.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: First Time-7 day trip, January 2015.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
Bring filter; can get water at Boot Springs/Canyon

Mariscal Day hike I'd bet is ok; but there are warnings out for Tally and Dominguez TH; those I'd be more concerned about at night

You will be fine through Black Gap

You can Zone camp in various Zones, wherever you want; but if you want particular backcountry sites, then yes, you need to know each site, and which night for which site; I prefer zone campaign where possible.  Zone camping solves your prob of wanting to change

Break ins are mostly a prob by the river, if at all; not in or near Basin.  I've never had a prob with leaving tent set up

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
One quick comment:  EP1 no longer exists.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:29:54 PM »
Also, if you want solitude and you have a 4wd, consider the state park, right next door tot he west; go into the Solitario; it's cool and no people.

Offline Fishdesert

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Also, if you want solitude and you have a 4wd, consider the state park, right next door tot he west; go into the Solitario; it's cool and no people.

I considered BBRSP, but I think I will leave it for next time.  Good to know about the relative safety during the day along the river.

Any hidden gems that I should not miss?  Thank you for the replies.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!