Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Hey again and a Much need trip

• 7 Replies

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Hey again and a Much need trip
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
Hey everyone, sorry I have been away for a long time, but I got a new job in September 2018 and have had very little time for anything other than work.
I am forcing my self to take a few days off so I can go refill my big bend cup, fill my lungs with big bend air and charge up my body with the awesomeness of the bend. Its been about a year since my last trip, so this is much needed. This will be my 26th time to the bend

This will be a solo trip and I plan to camp in the back country somewhere, either Glenn spring 2, Rice tank or Fresno. And maybe switch after a day or 2 and move over to Rattle Snake Mountain or Terlingua Abajo. I will have 3 full days in the park, I will arrive on a Wednesday night and leave Sunday morning

Dont really have anything special planned as far as hikes, but will take in Santa Elena Canyon for sure.  I will probably check out cattail falls, as I have not been back there since they put the barricade up making the trail longer.
I do have a few spots I have been eyeing for a few years now and just want to wander around those areas.
I have been having some problems with my left shoulder so plan to take a dip in the hot springs.

I welcome any suggestions for any short ( 5 miles round trip)  off the beaten path ideas
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Hey again and a Much need trip
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »
Apache Canyon if you haven't been there

A buddy was at Santa Elena a couple days ago and said Terlingua Creek was really high, preventing access to the trail, unless you don't mind getting wet of course

Pine Canyon area is always fun, hike those ridges around Pummel and Wright

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
I welcome any suggestions for any short ( 5 miles round trip)  off the beaten path ideas

Tule Spring
Rock Spring
Bailey Spring
Croton Peak
Neville Spring
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »
Have done Apache Canyon twice, but always from the south, could try going in from the north.
Thanks for info on Santa Elena Canyon, if its too muddy, just hanging out on the bank for a while is always nice.
Don't remember where Pummel and Wright are, will have to look that up.

Did Tule spring once before, but I did enjoy the hike so might put that on the list, and can always hit burro spring on the return.
Did Neville spring, will look into Rock Spring and Bailey Spring

thanks for the ideas

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »
Have done Apache Canyon twice, but always from the south, could try going in from the north.
Thanks for info on Santa Elena Canyon, if its too muddy, just hanging out on the bank for a while is always nice.
Don't remember where Pummel and Wright are, will have to look that up.

Did Tule spring once before, but I did enjoy the hike so might put that on the list, and can always hit burro spring on the return.
Did Neville spring, will look into Rock Spring and Bailey Spring

thanks for the ideas

Don’t forget to consider Croton Peak. Great view!
or even Leopold tinaja
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:50:58 PM »
I never camped at Croton, so maybe i could do that and hit the trail before sun up and before it gets too hot.
I went out to Leopold but went the wrong route so maybe this time i follow your trail a lot better.

Offline Ridgewalkertrent

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »
Hey everyone, sorry I have been away for a long time, but I got a new job in September 2018 and have had very little time for anything other than work.
I am forcing my self to take a few days off so I can go refill my big bend cup, fill my lungs with big bend air and charge up my body with the awesomeness of the bend. Its been about a year since my last trip, so this is much needed. This will be my 26th time to the bend

This will be a solo trip and I plan to camp in the back country somewhere, either Glenn spring 2, Rice tank or Fresno. And maybe switch after a day or 2 and move over to Rattle Snake Mountain or Terlingua Abajo. I will have 3 full days in the park, I will arrive on a Wednesday night and leave Sunday morning

Dont really have anything special planned as far as hikes, but will take in Santa Elena Canyon for sure.  I will probably check out cattail falls, as I have not been back there since they put the barricade up making the trail longer.
I do have a few spots I have been eyeing for a few years now and just want to wander around those areas.
I have been having some problems with my left shoulder so plan to take a dip in the hot springs.

May see you there. I will be their Tuesday. For two nights of backpacking and a few more car camping. Like you I am starting a new job. But this will be my first time there. Going with a friend who has been before.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
May see you there. I will be their Tuesday. For two nights of backpacking and a few more car camping. Like you I am starting a new job. But this will be my first time there. Going with a friend who has been before.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

I will be there the night of the June 19th and leave Sunday the 23rd. you can send me a PM if you want to talk about possibly meeting up. Always good to share experiences
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:48:15 AM by RichardM »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!