Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Hopefully awesome itinerary for BIBE in Feb!

• 4 Replies

Offline Tekstep1

• Kangaroo Rat
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »
Hey Guys!

NOOB to Big Bend here, but not so NOOB to backpacking!  So excited about the quick trip next week (wish it could be longer), but I wanted to post our tentative itinerary here to see if you guys had any comments or advice on a few of our decisions!

Friday: Getting in late and have a reserved tent site at RGV. 

Saturday: Planning to wake up early in the morning and check in/pay entrance fee at RGV.  Maybe grab a bite to eat if they have something.  After that, the idea is to grab our day packs and head out on Marufo Vega trail and over to Randell's Overlook.  We have the GPS coordinates and a great map from Caltopo, so we should hopefully be fine.  Taking about a gallon each for the trip out and back.  Quick question: about how long would the hike Randell's Overlook be since it is just a day hike to the overlook and back?  Would help to know so that we can ensure that we aren't overloading or under preparing.  Hoping for less than 6 hrs round trip...

After that, heading to Pine Canyon #4 for the night.  If we have a good amount of daylight by the time we hit the site, we may head down Pine Canyon trail for a bit until it starts getting dark and head back to the site.  If not, we'll just chill at the site and wait for the stars!

Sunday: Wake up early and head to Chisos Basin to check out the restaurant and gift shoppy stuff.  We have a back country site at SR#04 on the South Rim, and we hope to be on trail by 11:00AM.  From what I can tell, that will easily put us at SR#04 by 3:00-3:30PM.  Tons of time to take photos/GoPro and get ready for the sunset.  Packing in about a gallon per person, but may ask a ranger if there is any flow at Boot Canyon Trail.  if there is, awesome.  If not, heavy packs it is.  If we get to CB really early that morning, we might knock out LMT before the SR, but don't want to overdo it.

Monday: Wake up, hike down to CB, get the car and head home.  If we have time, might try Dog Canyon on the way out, but that could take a bit, is that correct?

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone has any thoughts on this itinerary, such as if we are doing too much/too little, or if there is anything we shouldn't miss or need to be prepared for.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!       

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
That itinerary sounds fine. Fit enthusiastic hikers should be able to knock it all out. As for Dog Canyon - it is an extremely easy, extremely beautiful hike. Doing it is just a matter of miles/time. You can probably squeeze it in if you can maintain the pace. Even a fast walk in and out is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline congahead

• Coyote
Re: Hopefully awesome itinerary for BIBE in Feb!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »
Agree on trying to do Dog Canyon if possible.

I did it for my third time just last week.

IMO, it has one of the highest ROIs of any hike in the park.

Minimal effort, maximum views and (usually) lots of solitude.

However, until you reach the canyon there is zero shade.

So, depending on the weather, it can be a VERY hot hike.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
Agree on trying to do Dog Canyon if possible.

However, until you reach the canyon there is zero shade.

So, depending on the weather, it can be a VERY hot hike.

This is very true.  So, I figure you're out of the Chisos and into the Basin by noon, earlier if you really get a move on.  I recommend you eat lunch at the lodge; you'll love it (hunger makes the best gravy).  IF it's open - is it?  I know there were rumors of renovating it. Then head out of the park, stopping at the Dog Canyon trailhead by 2pm, or 3pm at the latest, depending upon how quickly you exit the high Chisos.  It's about 2 miles from the Dog Canyon pullout along the completely flat "trail" to the canyon itself but, as Congahead pointed out, the route is completely unshaded which could mean HOT. On the other hand, the views of the Santiago Ridge, Dagger Mountain, and the northern Deadhorse are killer as you hike east to Dog Canyon.  Count on an hour to and from Dog Canyon and at least an hour inside. That puts you back at your vehicle by 6pm at the latest, having hiked back west toward the setting sun which, while blinding, should be gorgeous if you bring your shades, and then finally back in Dallas by...maybe 3am.  Are you going to work or school the next day?  Well, you only live once......
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline wotantx

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
  • The [desert] is calling and I must go.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 03:11:45 PM »
The lodge restaurant was certainly open at new year's.

--
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!