Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Itin Review Request

• 17 Replies

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
Re: Itin Review Request
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »
It is 11 miles round trip to the south rim. You are looking at 9 hours of hiking. After you come back you will not want to do anything else :)

The trails are well marked, but carry a map and headlights just in case, and carry enough clothing to survive the night in case you get stranded.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »
My last hike to the Rim was during a Christmas break several years ago.  I didn't start particularly early in the day (I certainly didn't start at 7:00), but I made it back with daylight to spare.  The trails are pretty well burned in, so route finding is easy.  If I thought I would be caught out after dark, though, I would take my headlamp, if only to see better where I'm placing my feet.

There's a nice spot just as you top LM trail (just before you drop down into Laguna Meadows proper) where you can rest and get a great view of the Basin below.

Offline Gustafson

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Thanks for the additional info on the South Rim trail. Very reassuring that its a well-marked trail that can be negotiated after sundown. Thanks for the tip about carrying warm clothing, in a pinch. Will run this by my daughter and hope that she's as captivated by the idea as I am. *fingers crossed* :D

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!