Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Last minute trip

• 3 Replies

Offline robmaz49

• Kangaroo Rat
Last minute trip
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:06:26 AM »
Hello! My wife and I had the stars align for us this up coming weekend and we are getting the chance to head to bug bend this Friday-Monday. A couple questions. We understand the heat amd have made a couple of rough play it by ear depending on campsite availability. Our goal is to land one of the more popular south rim campsites and get to see some beautiful sunrise/sunsets. If we did this we wpuld probably stay in the basin and explore places we havent been. If we camt get a good spot we plan to find a good roadside back country spot. So would anyone suggest any shorter hikes that might be a little less crowded? Some hikes we can do prior to noon with an early start and some afternoon hikes that have shade. We are experienced but still newer to back country hiking although we prefer it. We recently saw a post on swirl tinaja that caught our eye. Maybe we will explore that option some? Anyways thanks for any help/advice and leta keep our fingers crossed no clouds at night for some early perseid meteor shower shows.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Last minute trip
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:14:33 AM »
You should have no trouble getting a South Rim campsite.  Swirl would be a good shorter hike as long as you are comfortable with an off trail walk.  Chimneys is another good early morning hike.  Dog Canyon would be another.  Mule Ears trail out to the Smoky Creek overlook is another, about 6 miles round trip.  All of these need to be done by noon or earlier.  Cattail Falls gives you some shade around the falls.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:55:21 AM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »
I can only speak to Chimneys and Swirl, both are my kind of destinations.  Chimneys is well marked with the destination always visible.  Like Mule Ears said, Swirl has no marked trail.  Made it that much more exciting for me.  However, they are open desert hikes and I agree should be done way early. 

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »
Cattail falls is an amazing sight in the desert. Shady-ish in the morning.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!