Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

october trip

• 18 Replies

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
october trip
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
Thanks! That was the scene when I awoke from my very first night of camping in Big Bend. Words or photos cannot fully describe the awesome sight! PC#4 is definitely one of the best, IMO.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
october trip
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 03:28:49 PM »
Quote from: "tjavery"
Thanks! That was the scene when I awoke from my very first night of camping in Big Bend. Words or photos cannot fully describe the awesome sight! PC#4 is definitely one of the best, IMO.

i agree :)

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
old ore road
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »
thanks al  ,sounds great ! nice sunset photos . at first i thought driving the whole road would be to much time in truck, something i try i minimize . after considering the time going from campsite to campsite and the places i would drive to anyway it equals out .  jeff ,i wan't to take that hike from ersnt tinaja two . i keep looking at the map  and that hike is calling me . cool shot into ernst basin ,and the moon shot , wow . twwg great advice . i'm going to print this thread and take it with me . maybe enlarge the part about  slow down , not a race ! the journey is  the destination . tj ,great photos. there is alot of quality photograhy on this board ,that shot of pine canyon is as good as gets . i've hiked pine canyon once with my family ,breath taking beauty in every direction , just the place i want to wake up in !  thanks guys

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Our Pleasure
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Jim, what's kind of neat about this board is it is a competition to see who can help the most, in other words, who knows the most.  So it really never hurts to ask.

If you hike around Ernst Tinaja and feel like it, climb up on top on the north side of the wash when walking back.  It's pretty steep unless you are east of the tinaja.  Going around the tinaja can be rough unless you have a lot of confidence in your shoes or you take the trail that goes up and over on the south side of the wash and approach from the back.

The way we found them is we approached the tinaja from the back after taking the trail just south of the wash and then were too chicken to walk around the tinaja so we had to find a way back other than the way we came.  Thus up and onward on the north side.

There are some really neat fossils sticking out of the rocks.

Al

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!