Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Pre Trip Plan - 2007 Spring Trip

• 12 Replies

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:27:40 PM »
After my shortened trip two weeks ago, I figured I'd start planning for a spring trip next year. Went on line to see about reserving one of the two camp sites in the Basin which are good for the telescope. Both booked already during new moon in April. Hmmmm. Both booked already during new moon in May. Uh Oh! People have really taken to the reservation system. Waited a day while I pondered what to do. For grins, I checked the two sites for March new moon period next year. One of them was open! I promptly booked it on line. It then occured to me that I had just booked a camp site for spring break time! Not my favorite thing to do...camp in Basin with lots of spring breakers. My usual modus operandi is to go to sleep about 9pm and sleep until midnight when most of the revelry and use of ultra bright camp lights has ended and then observe until dawn. Soooo...I might get some decent observing time anyway.

Already counting time until I head back!
   Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

SHANEA

OH NO!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:04:26 PM »
BIBE is going to be the next EROCK - we'd better shutter the doors on BBC and VBB and let no one else in.  Put it behind a firewall and keep the google bots from being able to search it.   Campsites already booked well into the next year - funny that you were able to get a site during SpringBreak.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Pre Trip Plan - 2007 Spring Trip
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:24:57 AM »
Quote from: "SA Bill"

Bill

right on Bill!  Me too.  Currently, the plan is 8 days in the park, in February when my brother returns from Hawaii....
....still time to talk myself into going over Thanksgiving.  :lol:
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Pre Trip Plan - 2007 Spring Trip
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:25:49 AM »
Quote from: "bdann"
Quote from: "SA Bill"

Bill

right on Bill!  Me too.  Currently, the plan is 8 days in the park, in February when my brother returns from Hawaii....
....still time to talk myself into going over Thanksgiving.  :lol:

and Christmas....
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:27:04 AM »
Don't feel bad....I'm 'stuck' at the bend (if one could EVER put a negative spin on such a thing) spring break, as well....Of course, I'll be in the desert somewhere shooting video or some such....Maybe we'll bump into each other.....Just like all those other people I bump into every time I go... :wink:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

chisos_muse

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:57:50 AM »
I've heard all of the dreaded stories about spring break here. Lines out the door at PJ, the permit "zoo". Luckily I have been highly trained for this. :roll:  I worked for Clinique cosmetics for 6 years, and we had a little something called "gift with purchase". 100 women scattered about a cosmetics counter buying makup and wanting something that's FREE! :shock: Oh, and each one of them told you that it was their turn next... :lol:

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 08:25:27 AM »
I can't believe anything could top 100 screaming, fighting, cussing women ready to kill for a deal, spring break by comparison would be like sitting in the local library :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

chisos_muse

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »
Quote from: "Undertaker"
I can't believe anything could top 100 screaming, fighting, cussing women ready to kill for a deal, spring break by comparison would be like sitting in the local library :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You got it! :lol:

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Working?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »
Muse!??!  Aren't you s'posed to be working??!  ;-)
Funny... I have a story about that...

chisos_muse

Re: Working?
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:11:27 AM »
Quote from: "okiehiker"
Muse!??!  Aren't you s'posed to be working??!  ;-)

Not on my day off! :lol: Can you believe that I get TWO of them? 8)

And YES, I'm going on a hike today, and taking recyclables to the recycle center, and also attending our Veterans Day function this afternoon. :D

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Wanna hike....
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:20:08 AM »
I wanna go hiking today!!!   :cry:
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
Sorry SA Bill but why stay in the Basin during Spring Break when you could see the stars from any number of drive-in primitive campsites without any light pollution?   Don't get me wrong I enjoy the basin, the people, and the easy access but during Spring Break it can be everything I am trying to get away from... TWWG

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 07:55:12 PM »
One word TWWG: Shade!   8)  

Oh....and the other points you raised also. I just seem to prefer the mountains over the desert...mostly because the temps are cooler in the Basin...might not be a factor in March??
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!