Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Pre Trip Report: 4-28 to ?

• 13 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »
Heading out to the Park Thursday night via Alpine.  Gonna go to my little bro's Gig in Alpine on Friday night, then hit the park on Sat morning, then hang at La Kiva for my bro's second gig of the weekend on Sat night.  Staying in the park,  hangin' out in the park on Sun, may still til monday, not sure yet.....

I don't really have a plan this trip.....just gonna take it as it comes....however, i would like some input as to what view you think is missing from VBB....any suggestions??

Keep in mind, i won't be in my jeep and there will be no long back packing treks on this trip ;)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Pre Trip Report: 4-28 to ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:23:59 AM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
I don't really have a plan this trip.....just gonna take it as it comes....however, i would like some input as to what view you think is missing from VBB....any suggestions??

Keep in mind, i won't be in my jeep and there will be no long back packing treks on this trip ;)

Hmmmm, no backpacking and no jeep....that leaves Indian Head Springs and an interior pano of La Kiva!

SHANEA

Panoramic From...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:31:05 AM »
How about a Panoramic from Persimmon Gap entrance and over where the big BIBE sign is at.  Or PJ parking lot.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
What about shooting a pano from the top of that hill in front of the Basin lodge?  Or maybe Juniper Flat like this one from the NPS BIBE page?

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:07:36 AM »
hm...

Persimmon Gap
La Kiva
Juniper Flat
Indian Head Spring

all great ideas....actually, Persimmon Gap has been on the top of my list for a long time, i just never seem to get around to it.  Trying to find a good vantage point from there is challenging.  I have a pretty strict policy to never show signs of modern life in big bend in any of my shots making persimmon gap a little bit difficult and I don't really like to cheat and photoshop things as it destroys the integrity of the shot.  La Kiva would be fun one to do for an added bonus.  thanks guys.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:16:15 AM »
i also second the Basin Rock, that would make a great pano :lol:

SHANEA

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
Persimmon Gap
all great ideas....actually, Persimmon Gap has been on the top of my list for a long time, i just never seem to get around to it.  Trying to find a good vantage point from there is challenging.

I don't have Parents book with me right now  :shock:  but last trip we did the Persimmon Gap hike that starts on the East Side and a little North of the Ranger station.  It's a pretty easy hike once you get passed an inital scramble up about .5 mile in.  There are some great vista shots in the valley of the area with all kinds of interesting rocks, etc.  If you continue on to the "end" you can get some great panoramics of the road/mailbox intersection and the vistas into Mexico and BGWMA.  If I recall correctly, Parents book talks about how this is one of the major geologic areas of the entire BIBE complex and there are a lot of arguments amongst geologists about what it all means.  Maybe Viper can do his PhD disertation on this area.  :idea:

Of course, I personally like to see pictures of modern life as it gives clues over time of how things have changed.   :roll:  :lol:  8)   But, each to his own. 8)

Offline Drifter

• Coyote
This weekend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »
David, I will be driving my black cherokee lic mo5 twd . I will look for you at La Kiva on Sat.  If you see me on the road stop by for a tekilla and sprite.  Refreshing with a kick.  Tom
If you climb mountains, no explanation is necessary, if you don't , no explanation is possible.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »
all i know about that area is it's very near the coming together of the Santiago, Sierra dle Carmen, and Ouachita mtns :oops:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
I don't have Parents book with me right now  :shock:  but last trip we did the Persimmon Gap hike that starts on the East Side and a little North of the Ranger station.  It's a pretty easy hike once you get passed an inital scramble up about .5 mile in.  There are some great vista shots in the valley of the area with all kinds of interesting rocks, etc.  If you continue on to the "end" you can get some great panoramics of the road/mailbox intersection and the vistas into Mexico and BGWMA.  If I recall correctly, Parents book talks about how this is one of the major geologic areas of the entire BIBE complex and there are a lot of arguments amongst geologists about what it all means.  Maybe Viper can do his PhD disertation on this area.  :idea:

Would that hike be Persimmon Gap Draw?  We did part of that hike last November (see trip report).  It started out going up a dry wash and dead-ended in a dry waterfall.  I wasn't able to find a "trail" past it and we were running out of daylight.

With respect to the geology of the area being in dispute, my Dad told me a story of when they were out on a college geology field trip in the 1950's and the two professors leading the expedition nearly came to blows while trying to describe what had happened geologically in that area.  I don't think either one won the argument.  Afterwards the two profs barely spoke a word to each other for the rest of the trip.

SHANEA

Scramble
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »
Quote from: "RichardM"
It started out going up a dry wash and dead-ended in a dry waterfall.  I wasn't able to find a "trail" past it and we were running out of daylight.

We just climbed up straight over the water fall going up and then circumnavigated over on the "North" side of it coming down.  North side would be the right side when you are coming back down/out.  If it's the waterfall I'm thinking about.  If I recall correctly, there were two pour off type of places and we were able to get past them.  Once you get past them, it is a piece of pie.  There is a "sheep" trail of sorts running along the mountain and if you follow it far enough it will take you to the "otherside of the park" and you can easily see the mailbox intersection outside the park boundry at 385 and 2627.  (good thing I have a map on the wall @ work)  :lol:  8)

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: This weekend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »
Quote from: "Drifter"
David, I will be driving my black cherokee lic mo5 twd . I will look for you at La Kiva on Sat.  If you see me on the road stop by for a tekilla and sprite.  Refreshing with a kick.  Tom

sounds like a plan!  should see you there.....

\:D/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Scramble
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:17:12 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Quote from: "RichardM"
It started out going up a dry wash and dead-ended in a dry waterfall.  I wasn't able to find a "trail" past it and we were running out of daylight.

We just climbed up straight over the water fall going up and then circumnavigated over on the "North" side of it coming down.  North side would be the right side when you are coming back down/out.  If it's the waterfall I'm thinking about.  If I recall correctly, there were two pour off type of places and we were able to get past them.  Once you get past them, it is a piece of pie.  There is a "sheep" trail of sorts running along the mountain and if you follow it far enough it will take you to the "otherside of the park" and you can easily see the mailbox intersection outside the park boundry at 385 and 2627.  (good thing I have a map on the wall @ work)  :lol:  8)

i'll see if i can give it a go.... :D

SHANEA

Trail Head...
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
Park at Persimmon gap and cross the road to the East side and go North just a couple of hundred feet, past a drainage culvert and you will run into the trail.  The lady that was working in the park store there said that the only people that ever do that trail are the ones that read Parent's book as it is an "unmarked" trail.  Be sure and say hello to BIBE for me.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!