Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

september 2008 trip ideas

• 4 Replies

Offline matello

• Kangaroo Rat
september 2008 trip ideas
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:35:35 PM »
New to the site and a big hello to all!

We are looking at a return trip to BB next September, and would like ideas about iteneraries?  Will be camping out and taking a 4x4.  Thanks!

Offline Sanjuro82

• Samurai Hiker
  • Diamondback
  • Samurai Hiker
    • http://www.bigbendchat.com/
Re: september 2008 trip ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:28:24 PM »
Drive down to Mariscal Canyon.  And spend a day or two exploring Mariscal Canyon and the surrounding areas.  Maybe even drive the entire river road.

Check out some stuff in the Mesa de Aguilla if you have the time.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »
Drive down to Mariscal Canyon.  And spend a day or two exploring Mariscal Canyon and the surrounding areas.  Maybe even drive the entire river road.

Check out some stuff in the Mesa de Aguilla if you have the time.

San...this sounds like your own wish list (mine too :icon_lol:)

Matello, welcome!  You may have a lot of itinerary suggestions before the day is over but I'll throw in my two cents....

1. Pine Canyon
2. Glenn Spring (get GS2 campsite)
3. Roy's Peak
4. Juniper Canyon via JC Road (nab campsite JC1)
5. Camp at Fresno and then explore the Mariscal Mine  :eusa_dance:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:56:23 PM by Casa Grande »

Offline matello

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
Deerstalker and I drove the River Road East to the Mariscal Mine and back up through Glenn Springs last month.  We stopped at most of the primitive campsites along the way.  Saw nobody at all until we got to Nugent Mtn.  The roads were badly washed out from Summer rains but we managed to clear everything OK with a 2WD pickup though there were some exciting spots especially near Glenn Springs.   No matter what vehicle you have a shovel, rope, pickaxe, jack etc.. might be good things to have along, if not for yourself than for someone else.
I would count on spending 2-4 hours at the mine because there are a lot of interesting ruins to explore and lots of little sidetrails and bat gates.   Don't count on making more than about 5 mph on the dirt roads, budget enough time to stop and explore.   I think the best idea is to do a combination of activities such as driving the 4WD roads, hiking, river rafting, camping in the basin, backpacking, primitive car camping, etc.. TWWG

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!