Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

South Rim via Pinnacles or Laguna ?

• 9 Replies

Offline Justhikeit

• Kangaroo Rat
South Rim via Pinnacles or Laguna ?
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »
Ok, so Im going this weekend. Is there a better route? How long is the whole thing with Emory and with Emory?

Read some pages that said take Laguna but others have said Pinaccles because Laguna the views are behind you? Thoughts ? Best place to park and start from?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: South Rim via Pinnacles or Laguna ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
They are both good. Might as well go up one and down the other in order to see both routes. Could just as well let a coin toss decide which way to start.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
Ok, so Im going this weekend. Is there a better route? How long is the whole thing with Emory and with Emory?

Read some pages that said take Laguna but others have said Pinaccles because Laguna the views are behind you? Thoughts ? Best place to park and start from?

About 13 miles without Emory and 16 miles with. (excluding NE Rim trail).  Tack on another 4 miles if you include the NE Rim trail.

Suggestion - take one trail up and the other back.

Park at the trailhead near the Basin store.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
I liked going UP Laguna Meadows.  It's a bit longer, therefore a little less steep. It has some great views. Pinnacles is a little steeper with more switchbacks, so I enjoy coming down it more.  A lot of people on here say Emory is somewhat overrated.  The scramble at the end and standing perching on the top is neat, but the best views are the rim, so I'd agree. 

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »
There is a trade-off. The Pinnacles trail is more strenuous, but it has far more shade. The Laguna Meadow trail is hot and exposed, unless you start first thing in the morning. The Laguna Meadow trail will be in the shadow of Casa Grande until  about 10 AM.

If you are looking for Colima warbler the direct route is up the pinnacles; there are 2 or 3 breeding pairs just below the ridge.

I would not recommend the peak in addition to the rim.  Twelve miles round trip to the rim is a long hot hike. Carry a gallon of water (not kidding) and don't be shy about turning around if need be.

As Hang10er mentioned, the last 15 feet up Emory peak requires the "spiderman scramble." Definitely not for people with vertigo.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »
There's a part of the Laguna Meadow trail I try to avoid in the afternoon that I have nicknamed The Oven for obvious reasons.

==> Sent from Flash's phone

Offline Justhikeit

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
Ok, this helps alot.

All park at the trailhead at Chisos store and take Laguna first, going around S Rim, up Pinaccles and decide on Emory.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Ok, this helps alot.

All park at the trailhead at Chisos store and take Laguna first, going around S Rim, up Pinaccles and decide on Emory.

Skip Emory and spend more time on the Rim and Boot Canyon....
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »
Start early in the morning and go up Laguna, come down Pinnacles, this avoids the heat of the day. Skip Emory Peak, the Rim is grand! You can do Emory Peak the next time. I have done the Rim 4 times, Emory Peak once. You can never get enough of the South Rim. If you start early enough you can include the NE rim also.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
I like going up Pinnacles and down Laguna Meadows.

Pinnacles is a steeper haul, but coming down all that steep really pounds your knees. 

At the end of the day when I am done, the more leisurely decline of Laguna Meadows allows me to relax more.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!