Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Viewing Park From Car

• 6 Replies

Offline jackd

• Kangaroo Rat
Viewing Park From Car
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:59 AM »
I will be in the park mid-June with my 70 year old mother. We will be driving a 2015 Subaru Forester with 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

We would like to spend two, maybe three days in / around the park. We will not be camping.

I am into photography so of course I want to get some good views, but I won't be able to hike far from the road. And I am into astronomy and hope to get some milky way shots one night...

Can anyone suggest an itinerary?

Offline mini64

• Jack Rabbit
    • Team Fawcett
Re: Viewing Park From Car
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
Ross Maxwell road is one of the most beautiful roads in Texas, and that hardly tells you how beautiful it is!

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
I agree with Ross Maxwell.  You could easily spend a day driving it from end to end, stopping at all the pull outs, and taking one or two of the shortest hikes, such as lower Burro Mesa Pouroff (about one relatively level mile round trip),  Sam Nail Ranch (about 3/4 level mile round trip), and to the ruins down at the lower end, near the camp gound (someone help me out here on the name of this).

On day two, go down Glen Springs Road then take River Road East to Rio Grande Village (check with the rangers before you go to be sure these roads are passable for your vehicle (normally they are, but recent rains may make them iffy).   Come back via the pavement from Rio Grande Village to the Basin.  Check put the Rio Grande overlook, Boquillas Canyon overlook, and Dugout Wells (if the time of day is right, Dugout Wells is a great place to have a picnic).  You could also drive to the Hot Springs and check out the old resort (just beyond the parking area) if not the Hot Springs themselves.

As for night photography, just about any place in the park is suitable.  Even the Basin itself, although you won't have as much sky visible from there as from any place down in the desert.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
near the camp gound (someone help me out here on the name of this).

Cottonwood?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 04:05:30 PM »
near the camp gound (someone help me out here on the name of this).

Cottonwood?

Cottonwood is the campground.  What I was asking for some help on is the very short trail near there that goes to to some old buildings.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
You talking the Dorgan House?

Geezer

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
That's it!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!