Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Year-end visit

• 17 Replies

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Year-end visit
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 09:36:06 PM »
Homero, the temperatures that week are still the record cold days last time I checked.  I promise you after several days of those temps and the winds, you too would question whether you were still having fun.  Cold fronts blow through all the time, I can deal with these and in fact it can be a fun challenge that one enjoys having been prepared for, a day being lazy in the tent is kind of fun, but they usually last a matter of hours and the rain no more than a day.  This sucker lasted for days without a break.  

HEY! I haven't checked out yet. A bit lazier, yes. If the weather turns miserable unlike where you go in Mexico, a motel room is usually never more than a few hours away if you are with your vehicle and it is easy to return to the park the next day.

Al

Offline drm

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Year-end visit
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
drm,

My brother and I are also planning a trip at around the same time-frame.  We stay away from the crowds for the most part and hike the lesser know areas.  You're welcome to tag along with us if the dates work out.

We are planning to for sure hike Bruja Canyon (and a few other Mesa de Anguila spots), Cattail Falls/Canyon,  and Mariscal and Cross canyon.

We will be in the park for 9-10 days.  Sometime during the Christmas break.

Sanjuro - Let's get in touch as it all gets closer - that sounds great. Let me know how we can get in touch then; I'm assuming there isn't much cell phone coverage inside the park.

I've got my flights through El Paso: arr Dec 19 and dep Jan 2. So that will give me 11 or 12 days in the park. Should get a good taste with that! And New Years Eve will be my last night there.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Year-end visit
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 07:19:01 PM »
You may want to ease your way to the park since permits can only be issued for 10 consecutive days . . . I do recommend at least part of New Years Eve in the Hot Springs.

Al

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!