Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

School Shooting in Alpine

• 6 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
School Shooting in Alpine
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Take a look at the national news sites.  There was an active shooter situation at Alpine High School this A.M.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: School Shooting in Alpine
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »
My sister in law is the principal and her husband is the police chief. Been a crazy day, obviously.

Shooter, 14 girl,  killed self after shooting into band hall, shot one girl who is expected to live.
That's all I got for ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »
Sorry to read this. Alpine is such a nice area with some good people.

Sent from flat land

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:05:26 PM »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
Terrible tragedy for the parents of the girl who killed herself. 

Apparently, she was loading her gun, a semi automatic pistol, and several cartridges in the bathroom near the band hall.  Another student happened to walk in on her. The girl turned the gun on her and began firing, four rounds. One of them grazed her back as she ran, screaming from the bathroom.  The girl then turned the gun on herself while still in the bathroom.  It ended before it even got started.  Based on the amount of ammo she had, she was likely getting ready to do some damage before the other girl walked in on her.

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:28 PM »
Terrible tragedy. Also seen reports of bomb threats at Sul Ross and the alpine hospital. Seems the craziness is everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Terrible tragedy for the parents of the girl who killed herself. 

Apparently, she was loading her gun, a semi automatic pistol, and several cartridges in the bathroom near the band hall.  Another student happened to walk in on her. The girl turned the gun on her and began firing, four rounds. One of them grazed her back as she ran, screaming from the bathroom.  The girl then turned the gun on herself while still in the bathroom.  It ended before it even got started.  Based on the amount of ammo she had, she was likely getting ready to do some damage before the other girl walked in on her.

Thanks for the insider update
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!