Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

ZuZu Verk

• 60 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: ZuZu Verk
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
Perhaps they just stumbled across the grave.

Maybe, maybe not. Linking together everything already known very well may have provided a focus on the location.

Despite things taking what seemed like a long time, real world investigations do not mimic Law & Order or NCIS and their solve-a-crime prowess in 60 minutes each week.

I was surprised at the narrow description of the search warrant. Unless they already had seized cell phones, computers and other electronic data devices, those items now ALWAYS routinely are included in warrants.

The information in the warrant did include references to data obtained from those sources, which may have been acquired via warrant, or voluntary surrender. But, I'm still surprised they were not listed because during the search additional devices might have been discovered, thus requiring an additional warrant authorization to seize.

Witness statements on timeline events and comments made to them by suspects are equally valuable.

It won't take long for the story to fully unravel and the participants to turn on each other.

As the movie poster for Tombstone said: "Justice Is Coming"
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
Remember they weren't searching,  they just found it as part of a routine operation, or so they claim. That claim seems suspect.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
I prefer life without parole. I just don't trust our government to kill people.

This is actually one of the few "liberal" views I share.  I do not believe the govt to be competent enough to take a life as punishment, and they never will.

Life without parole, and it does exist, is alive and well.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
Remember they weren't searching,  they just found it as part of a routine operation, or so they claim. That claim seems suspect.

So, I happen to have a very close contact with this investigation.  The area the body was found was on private property in an area not particularly practical to illegals crossing.  The owner of the property called the Border Patrol saying there was possible activity on his property. They came out to plant sensors in the said area.  During the planting process, the body was discovered.  The theory is, they (the killers) were possibly checking on the body in the last few months, which alerted the property owner to the trespassers and he assumed they were illegals.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »

This is actually one of the few "liberal" views I share.  I do not believe the govt to be competent enough to take a life as punishment, and they never will.

Interesting. I thought thinking the government was incompetent of something was one of the conservative views I had.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the insight Casa

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »

Interesting. I thought thinking the government was incompetent of something was one of the conservative views I had.

Lol. True!  I think it's a bit hypocritical to hold a basic view of distrust with the government only to turn around and entrust the same government with properly convicting a person to the point of death. 

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Mine is rooted in the belief that people make mistakes. I prefer to be able to fix the mistake.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 02:43:35 AM »
The owner of the property called the Border Patrol saying there was possible activity on his property. They came out to plant sensors in the said area.  During the planting process, the body was discovered.  The theory is, they (the killers) were possibly checking on the body in the last few months, which alerted the property owner to the trespassers and he assumed they were illegals.

Give dolts/criminals enough rope and they will hang themselves.

With these guys as suspects, it's equally likely a tracking device was placed on their vehicles.

Nothing like a GPS trail to do them in with their own stupidity of returning to the scene of the crime.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »

Lol. True!  I think it's a bit hypocritical to hold a basic view of distrust with the government only to turn around and entrust the same government with properly convicting a person to the point of death. 

It's a jury of your peers that convicts someone, not the government.  But I'm not really sure that's any better.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:13:24 AM by Hang10er »

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
True. But it is organized and run by the government. As I said the root of my belief is people make mistakes.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
Manslaughter is a mistake, murder is intentional. I don't like the idea of my tax dollars being used to keep murderers well fed for 50-60 years while they contribute absolutely zero to society.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
In fact (sorta), criminals convict themselves with the evidence they leave of the crimes they commit.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Manslaughter is a mistake, murder is intentional. I don't like the idea of my tax dollars being used to keep murderers well fed for 50-60 years while they contribute absolutely zero to society.
I'd always heard it was cheaper to keep them locked up for life than to go through all the court stuff in order to execute them.

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!