Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Fort Davis Cyclefest

• 19 Replies

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
Fort Davis Cyclefest
« on: September 12, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
I'm heading out to Fort Davis on Thursday morning, and will do the Fort Davis Cyclefest bicycle ride on Saturday.  It is a clockwise ride of the scenic loop, starting and stopping at the Prude Ranch.  I've had surgeries on a knee each of the past two Christmases, so this will be a big milestone in my recovery.    Looks like there will be a ton of thunderstorms in the area, hope that won't affect the ride.

Offline Andreas

• Diamondback
  • A gun gives you the body not the bird. HD Thoreau
Re: Fort Davis Cyclefest
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
Since I did the scenic loop by car only, I can only imagine what a huge challenge it is to do it on a bike. I hope both the weather & your knee will cooperate!  :crossedfingers:

Good luck & let us know how it worked out!
"Any time you're throwin dirt you're losin ground."

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
That's great! I wanted to go this year but could not convince anyone to come along. Are you doing the 76 Mile Tour as well as the Hill Climb?

For those who are unfamiliar, there are two events. One is the Tour (not a race) on Saturday, which has 3 distances, 27, 55 and 76 miles. The 76 mile route is the complete scenic loop through the Davis Mountains. The Hill Climb, on Sunday, has two distances. One is 1.5 miles ride from the McDonald Observatory Visitor Center to the top of Mt. Locke and the other starts 7 miles away in the valley floor and goes to the top.  As you reach the top the pitch gets up to 17% which is insane.

Hopefully the weather will hold out for you. Good luck (I do plan on going next year).

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
Fort Davis Cyclefest
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »
Yep, I'm signed up for the 1.5 mile climb on Sunday, and the 76 mile ride on Saturday.  This ride last year was going to be a test of my left knee operation in Dec of 2014, but I had to drop out at the 2nd rest stop.  When I got home, I found out my right knee needed work as well.

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
The only way I could do it is if my cycle was a Harley....or Honda.....or Yamaha....

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
Got back from Fort Davis last night.  Weather ended up being perfect.  Only rain we got was overnight from Friday evening to Saturday morning.  It was clear most all day on Saturday for the ride.  I made it 55 of the 75 miles.  I got to the top of the Bear Mountain climb at the 43 mile mark, and my knees told me they had done enough climbing for the day.  My aunt and uncle, plus another uncle were out to watch me do the ride.  I called them on the walkie-talkie, and they came and picked me up.  They drove me to the last rest stop right before the observatory, and I rode the final 12 miles down to Prude Ranch.  There is one last SOB of a climb about a mile before the ranch.  Not a long one, but one that lets you know it is there.    Later that evening the clouds rolled in, so the telescopes couldn't be used for the Star Party.  That makes three consecutive visits for me to not be able to see the stars.

I did the Mt. Locke Hill Climb on Sunday, and it was brutal.  Took me 18 minutes to make it to the top from the visitor's center.  Only took a little over 2 minutes to come back down. :)  To put my time in perspective, the guy that finished with the fastest time on the 7 mile route took 28 minutes to get to the top.  His average speed was higher than my fastest speed on the climb!

Offline Andreas

• Diamondback
  • A gun gives you the body not the bird. HD Thoreau
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
Congrats on that great achievement, ggowins  :notworthy: !!!
"Any time you're throwin dirt you're losin ground."

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Now it is my turn to report out on the 2017 version of Cyclefest. Similar to what  ggowins reported in 2016 there were thunderstorms overnight Friday night/Saturday morning but they moved out before the start. Morning temps were in the 50's with overcast skies which later cleared up with afternoon temps in the mid 80's. There was also a good cross wind at times but once we got around to the observatory it had less of an impact. 

From Prude Ranch the route drops down to Ft Davis with the first 10 miles being relatively flat. Then you begin a gentle 700 foot climb up to 5700 feet over another 10+ miles and then down 700 feet in the next 10+ miles. Then the fun time is over and you climb a steep grade up Bear Mountain to over 6000 feet and continue the roller coaster until you get to the observatory when you get a long downhill back to Prude Ranch (except for one small 100 climb near near the finish).   

There was a pretty good sized group of riders from San Antonio so I never lacked for company. Ended up Saturday with 75 miles and 4500 feet of climbing which is the full loop. The route was easy to follow (directions were turn right at every highway intersection) and aid stations were well stocked. Lots of volunteers and SAG vehicles were plentiful for those who needed it.

Sunday morning was the Hill Climb. I did the 6 mile climb up to McDonald Observatory. The pitch gets extreme on the last mile from the visitor center to the top and most people questioned their sanity for signing up to do something so strenuous. But once you stop and recover there is a nice screaming descent to get back to the starting point. The total elevation on that climb was almost 1500 feet.

If  you ever want to do some challenging climbs with beautify scenery, this is the place to do it. Now I just need to take my bike out to Big Bend and tackle the climb into the Basin.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
Good job, Robert.  Congrats!

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Now I just need to take my bike out to Big Bend and tackle the climb into the Basin.

There are some guys that live in Terlingua that once or twice a year ride up to the Basin from the Starlight parking lot, then hike to the top of Emory Peak and back down, then ride back to the Starlight.

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »
Good job Robert! One of these years I will make it down for this event.

One of the nice things I remember about this area was the low traffic levels. Miles of quiet and scenic roads.

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
I missed last year's ride, but enjoyed Robert's recap.  I'm signed up for this year's ride, and am really looking forward to it.  I plan to get to Davis Mountains State Park on Wednesday to do a little bit of acclimating before the ride on Saturday.  Are there any Benders planning to be out there Sept. 14-16th?

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
Yes! Going out there again this year with the same group that went last year. Looking forward to it!  I don't think you'll have any issues acclimating to Ft. Davis.

This week we are planning to head up to Breckenridge and catch the last day of the Colorado Challenge in Vail on Friday while vacationing in the mountains. Taking the road bikes so hope to get in some riding while we are there.

Online ggowins

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Nice!  I'm hoping my knees hold out.  They gave me a bit of trouble on a ride a couple of weeks ago, but I've been more aggressive with my icing regimen and that has helped.   At the very least I'll have 4-5 days out in one of my favorite places to be!   Enjoy the trip to Colorado.

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 07:38:16 PM »
We just spent a week in Frisco Colorado, mostly riding the recpath paved trails and general sightseeing. Its pretty nice out there this time of year.

Id love to do the Ft Davis rides one year, but limited vacation will keep it from happening this year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:47:09 PM by GaryF »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!