Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Jeff Davis County frequencies needed due to no coms/ death.

• 49 Replies

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
Re: Jeff Davis County frequencies needed due to no coms/ death.
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
Love the pictographs and night shots... and the other shots! That looks like a great place
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:05:03 PM by iCe »

Offline 19dsniper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. We had a wonderful time there. Hopefully we will have a chance to do it again. My son had to stay at base camp for the duration. Unfortunately he was too young to attend any of the High Adventure stuff just yet. Thats ok though, he was able to stay and work on a number of Merit Badges that he has been looking forward to earning. It was an incredible place to visit thats for sure! Such a difference between Fort Davis and BiBe. Well kinda. The biggest difference was the fact that Fort Davis actually had the green stuff everywhere and water flowing thru a lot of the mountains. I have yet to see that at BiBe except out at the Window.

Next year we will be taking the boys to Philmont. I am still undecided if i am going to go or not as my son is not yet old enough for that one either. So i have to decide wether to go with the Troop, as they NEED another adult, or to wait and go with my son when he is old enough. I will still go with him when it is his time regardless, just not sure if I'm better off going next year and being able to share some experiences with him, or having that special moment when all of that is new to both of us. I guess it will depend on wether or not the troop can find another adult to fill in if i can't or decide not to attend next year. We shall see.

I hope all the best for you and yours! We have always enjoyed our time with the scouts and i truly believe that great leaders are made in the BSA. Every male for the last 3 generations on my wifes side of the family has been an Eagle scout and her grandfather was "Chief Driving Rain".
https://www.hoac-bsa.org/mic-o-say-bio-william-e-burns
Take care!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:43:53 PM by 19dsniper »

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. We had a wonderful time there. Hopefully we will have a chance to do it again. My son had to stay at base camp for the duration. Unfortunately he was too young to attend any of the High Adventure stuff just yet. Thats ok though, he was able to stay and work on a number of Merit Badges that he has been looking forward to earning. It was an incredible place to visit thats for sure! Such a difference between Fort Davis and BiBe. Well kinda. The biggest difference was the fact that Fort Davis actually had the green stuff everywhere and water flowing thru a lot of the mountains. I have yet to see that at BiBe except out at the Window.

Next year we will be taking the boys to Philmont. I am still undecided if i am going to go or not as my son is not yet old enough for that one either. So i have to decide wether to go with the Troop, as they NEED another adult, or to wait and go with my son when he is old enough. I will still go with him when it is his time regardless, just not sure if I'm better off going next year and being able to share some experiences with him, or having that special moment when all of that is new to both of us. I guess it will depend on wether or not the troop can find another adult to fill in if i can't or decide not to attend next year. We shall see.

I hope all the best for you and yours! We have always enjoyed our time with the scouts and i truly believe that great leaders are made in the BSA. Every male for the last 3 generations on my wifes side of the family has been an Eagle scout and her grandfather was "Chief Driving Rain".
Take care!

Chief Driving Rain!  That's awesome.  I agree that BSA produces great men.  My own grandfather was an Eagle Scout, and he went on to be a Lieutenant General in the Air Force.  I have his merit badge sash, and boy does it put the one I had to shame!  I know it's a little off topic, and I am bragging on him a bit,but I'm proud to share the same name as the man:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilson_Carpenter_III

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline 19dsniper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »

Take care!

Chief Driving Rain!  That's awesome.  I agree that BSA produces great men.  My own grandfather was an Eagle Scout, and he went on to be a Lieutenant General in the Air Force.  I have his merit badge sash, and boy does it put the one I had to shame!  I know it's a little off topic, and I am bragging on him a bit,but I'm proud to share the same name as the man:

Thats incredible! I took a little time to read up on your grandfather. He was a very impressive service member! He has a lot of highly prestigious awards, regardless of the rank. The rank is impressive by itself, but the stories that go with those awards are what makes the man, not the rank he wears on his shoulder. I digress. I know I am 21 years too late as i see he has already passed and I wish i could have thanked him myself, but i want you to know that i appreciate your grandfathers service. I have a soft spot for the WW2 vets for some reason, and all veterans. But especially the WW2 guys. I still look at the remaining few as the Greatest Generation. Guys that didn't brag about where they have been, what they have done, or what went on. They showed up, did their job, came back and got back to work! Some made a career out of it. Others did what had to be done and moved on. I respect the hell out of guys like that. Thank you for sharing that with me. I am going to look into him some more and see if i can find some books about him or something. I would love to hear the stories behind how he was awarded 3 Silver Stars! I can't imagine what he went thru to be awarded 3 of them. Thats incredible!!
Anyways, If you still have anyone in your family that is in or has been in the service, let them know that from one vet to another, that i say THANK YOU!
That goes to anyone else out there that may be reading this. If you or a family member have served, I say Thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you and yours the best!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:45:23 AM by 19dsniper »

Offline 19dsniper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »

Take care!

Thats incredible! I took a little time to read up on your grandfather. He was a very impressive service member! He has a lot of highly prestigious awards, regardless of the rank. The rank is impressive by itself, but the stories that go with those awards are what makes the man, not the rank he wears on his shoulder. I digress. I know I am 21 years too late as i see he has already passed and I wish i could have thanked him myself, but i want you to know that i appreciate your grandfathers service. I have a soft spot for the WW2 vets for some reason, and all veterans. But especially the WW2 guys. I still look at the remaining few as the Greatest Generation. Guys that didn't brag about where they have been, what they have done, or what went on. They showed up, did their job, came back and got back to work! Some made a career out of it. Others did what had to be done and moved on. I respect the hell out of guys like that. Thank you for sharing that with me. I am going to look into him some more and see if i can find some books about him or something. I would love to hear the stories behind how he was awarded 3 Silver Stars! I can't imagine what he went thru to be awarded 3 of them. Thats incredible!!
Anyways, If you still have anyone in your family that is in or has been in the service, let them know that from one vet to another, that i say THANK YOU!
That goes to anyone else out there that may be reading this. If you or a family member have served, I say Thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you and yours the best!

Ok, so after a little more reading i see what his ranks were when he was awarded a lot of his medals. No offense, a lot of those awards are given to higher ranking military men and women.... But not your grandfather!!! He was like Audie Murphy!!! Seriously, thank you for sharing. Im letting my OCD kick in and I'm kinda dorking out a little. I truly enjoy history and I'm excited to learn more and share the stories I'm reading about him with my son tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:46:14 AM by 19dsniper »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!