Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Brew pub coming to Marathon

• 12 Replies

Offline Hiker79

• Roadrunner
Brew pub coming to Marathon
« on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Brew pub coming to Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
Sounds promising and I hope that they can make it work, that there is enough business.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:34:05 PM »
I'll drive anywhere for good 'que.

Offline Hiker79

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
I've been thru there many times and the Gage is never open.  Hopefully this place will be open during the day and I can grab a bite and a brew (or 3).  It does seem the best spot would be closer to 385. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
Prolly gonna be pretty pricey wares to cater to the tourists in the ever growing Gage empire. No casual dining in Marathon the article says? Remember the Marathon Coffee Shop, Johnny B's, and the Famous Burro? All gone now for a variety of reasons. Turning the brick vault into a smoker seems puzzling to me, perhaps because the idea of residues from the vault mingling with the smoke for the meat doesn't appeal to me. Overall, the idea is intriguing, but I expect it to be expensive and may be in need of some healthy local competition.  :)

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
Prolly gonna be pretty pricey wares to cater to the tourists in the ever growing Gage empire. No casual dining in Marathon the article says? Remember the Marathon Coffee Shop, Johnny B's, and the Famous Burro? All gone now for a variety of reasons. Turning the brick vault into a smoker seems puzzling to me, perhaps because the idea of residues from the vault mingling with the smoke for the meat doesn't appeal to me. Overall, the idea is intriguing, but I expect it to be expensive and may be in need for some healthy local competition.  :)

My thoughts exactly.  Hope there is enough business to keep it viable.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Wbill57

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:12:52 PM »
Prolly gonna be pretty pricey wares to cater to the tourists in the ever growing Gage empire. No casual dining in Marathon the article says? Remember the Marathon Coffee Shop, Johnny B's, and the Famous Burro? All gone now for a variety of reasons. Turning the brick vault into a smoker seems puzzling to me, perhaps because the idea of residues from the vault mingling with the smoke for the meat doesn't appeal to me. Overall, the idea is intriguing, but I expect it to be expensive and may be in need of some healthy local competition.  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Roadrunner
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Well, I see Marathon Coffee closed, probably awhile ago--don't throw rocks at me :). I only get to the park once a year so maybe old news for the locals. Can't say I'm surprised but their Huevos Rancheros were OK by me.

EDITORIAL/OPINION - Dear God of Beers: please allow the new joint to serve a simple pilsner, a nice Kolsch, an ale, a stout, a helles. The world has more than enough sours, quadruple lemon/grapefruit IPAs and a lot of other crap. Never understood some of that. One of my favorite memories is a few glasses of Big Bend Brewing company Octoberfest after coming off the OML. Moments you remember years later, that good.
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
Wait a minute.  Did Johnny Bs close?  Bummer. They had the best breakfast burritos.  I guess I didn't eat enough of them to keep em alive!

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
Wait a minute.  Did Johnny Bs close?  Bummer. They had the best breakfast burritos.  I guess I didn't eat enough of them to keep em alive!

Johnny B's lease from the Gage expired so they reopened down the street as The Oasis Cafe. Their wi-fi still reads as Johnny B's. The Gage turned their old space into a high end coffee joint. This was about 2-3 years ago.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »

Johnny B's lease from the Gage expired so they reopened down the street as The Oasis Cafe. Their wi-fi still reads as Johnny B's. The Gage turned their old space into a high end coffee joint. This was about 2-3 years ago.
Excellent.  I don't go through Marathon much these days.  Always have too much going on in Alpine and I don't usually like to take 90. 

Guess I need to try more often.  Did they move the dollars too?

Offline Hiker79

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
EDITORIAL/OPINION - Dear God of Beers: please allow the new joint to serve a simple pilsner, a nice Kolsch, an ale, a stout, a helles. The world has more than enough sours, quadruple lemon/grapefruit IPAs and a lot of other crap. Never understood some of that. One of my favorite memories is a few glasses of Big Bend Brewing company Octoberfest after coming off the OML. Moments you remember years later, that good.

Amen nuggetf5.  Similar memories of drinking Big Bend Negra in the Basin.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
Looks like they opened on April 21.  Has anyone stopped here yet?

BRICK VAULT BREWERY & BBQ - GRAND OPENING

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!