Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Table for Two Please

• 28 Replies

SHANEA

Table for Two Please
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »
I think we'll have breakfast outside this morning.

"Table for two please"

http://www.marathonmotel.com/webcam.php

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
Re: Table for Two Please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
I check that site every morning too...along with 4 other times a day.  Love it...and saw the precipitation last week too.
Ok...for my order...I'll take them scrambled with sausage.

SHANEA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »
I'll have this morning to start off with a hair of the dog from last night - a good ole Bloody Mary - followed with "biscuits and thick sausage gravy with chunks of pan sausage in it along with some really brown stringy hashed potatoes  and two pieces of pan sausage".  Coffee please, black and strong.  Glass of water with lemon and a glass of OJ over ice.    :icon_wink:

SHANEA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Well, back at base camp after a hard day doing nothing.

Say, why don't you pull up a chair and join us - "we'll have three Dewars on the Rocks please".   It's time to Relax at the Junction...   :icon_wink:

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
Let me get this straight you drink your coffee black and strong and you need a lemon in your water, man up and drink you water with scotch. LOL.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

SHANEA

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Let me get this straight you drink your coffee black and strong and you need a lemon in your water, man up and drink you water with scotch. LOL.

Perish the thought of diluting good scotch with water?   :icon_eek:  Rotgut maybe, but I don't drink rotgut or MD2020 or Boones Farm.    I drink mine on the rocks - the rocks help bring out the "taste"  by cooling it - gotta drink it before the ice melts...   Of course, taking it neat isn't bad either...

What's wrong with a lemon in water?  I have lemon in my iced tea as well.   :icon_lol:

SHANEA

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:23:48 AM »
Two of my favorite people!
QS

Well, all three of us need to get together up in the Basin sometime in the shadow of Casa Grande one evening and have a marathon scotch tasting party... 

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
Be careful or your fellow campers may leave a nasty note on your table for being too loud.

We camped at Cottonwood back in early March.  It wasn't too crowded and we were way down at the opposite end from the entrance.

There were 5 of us and we had a little cognac after dinner along with a lively discussion.  We were in the tents by 10.

Next morning we hiked to Apache Canyon.  Got back late that afternoon and found a note on our table; "Several of your neighbors would appreciate it if you could respect quiet time after 8:00PM.  If you cannot, or if you refuse, more drastic action will be taken".

All of us are 55 or older so it wasn't like we were partying like teenagers. 

SHANEA

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
ah, those were the same people that woke up every morning at 5am and were clanking dishes, turning off and on their car alarm, kiddos running and screaming through the campsites, turning on the diesel truck to warm it up, etc.  They seem to have forgot that quiet hours work both ways - 8pm to 8am.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
Water in my single malt is ice (frozen water) no more than three cubes depending on temp. The advantage to scotch is the morning is always a beautiful thing.

Offline Undertaker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
I wonder what the more drastic action would have been?? :rolling: :rolling:

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »
Have you ever tried "whiskey stones"?  Its soap stone cut to the size of ice cubes.  You put those in the freezer and/or ice chest.  Take them out, place in glass, add whiskey or scotch.  Nice cool drink and nothing is watered down! 

I suppose you could use granite or other stone as well.  My wife bought a set of those for me a while back.  They're great when you want to cool off your drink and not have it watered down.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
Two of my favorite people!
QS

Well, all three of us need to get together up in the Basin sometime in the shadow of Casa Grande one evening and have a marathon scotch tasting party... 

Can I show up and drink fine bourbon with y'all if I am quiet on the side?

Water in my single malt is ice (frozen water) no more than three cubes depending on temp. The advantage to scotch is the morning is always a beautiful thing.

Long story short I have become friends with the Van Winkles of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon fame and they are rabid adherents to one or two 1" ice cubes and or just a splash of water to "open" the bourbon up and bring the aromatics out.  That is in a perfect world, otherwise neat is just fine which is how I enjoy it out on the trail.   :icon_biggrin:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

SHANEA

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
Have you ever tried "whiskey stones"?

I've heard of those, never tried them.

SHANEA

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Can I show up and drink fine bourbon with y'all if I am quiet on the side?

Only if you share.   :icon_wink:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!