Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Pinto Canyon Road 1st time

• 14 Replies

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
Pinto Canyon Road 1st time
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
We are taking the road for the first time on Sunday 10/29, from North to South (on our way to Terlingua), in a stock Jeep Wrangler.
Anything we should especially be aware of? Current road condition? Is there a decent map of the road anywhere?

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
Re: Pinto Canyon Road 1st time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:06:09 PM »
I have never made the drive but have been wanting to. Please keep us updated on your run through.

Sent from flat land

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »
We are taking the road for the first time on Sunday 10/29, from North to South (on our way to Terlingua), in a stock Jeep Wrangler.
Anything we should especially be aware of? Current road condition? Is there a decent map of the road anywhere?
As with all the 4x4 recommendations, be sure to have at least 1 spare tire. Especially if it is a highway tire.
Make sure you top off the gas tank in Marfa before you head out.
I haven't been on that road yet, but I plan on it next time I'm out that way.
I have had friends take it, and they said it was remote and a dirt road, but not too terrible.
All I did was type in Ruidoso and then ask directions from Marfa on Google Maps:
f:0x720e0d3e89d4c90!2m2!1d-104.020623!2d30.3094622!1m5!1m1!1s0x86eede095355378 3:0xcb532a8fc02b05cb!2m2!1d-104.675903!2d29.98033" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Marfa,+TX/Ruidosa,+TX+79845/@29.9436355,-104.6299808,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x86efb0a37f4025f f:0x720e0d3e89d4c90!2m2!1d-104.020623!2d30.3094622!1m5!1m1!1s0x86eede095355378 3:0xcb532a8fc02b05cb!2m2!1d-104.675903!2d29.98033
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Well I've seen the basic maps, such as google, but I've heard there are several side roads, and I've also heard there are no signs for directions, so I just don't want to get lost. I would hope the main road stays fairly obvious. I hope so anyway.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
Well I've seen the basic maps, such as google, but I've heard there are several side roads, and I've also heard there are no signs for directions, so I just don't want to get lost. I would hope the main road stays fairly obvious. I hope so anyway.

I suggest studying the maps you have and Google to the point of estimating mileage between each area of concern (turn-offs, veers, washes, etc) and make sure you know exactly where they are and which direction you need to go. In addition, It might be a good idea to virtually explore each of those possible unplanned excursions for land marks or direction/elevation changes so if you do find yourself off the main road, you can recognize it and turn around before you get really honked up. The 3D function on Google Earth is really cool and can help you locate landmarks that you might see at the surface.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:03 AM »

It's a county road. Perhaps not in the best of condition, but easily passable in nearly any vehicle with the level of care determined by your ground clearance.

You aren't going to get lost and the main route is obvious.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. We are very excited for this trip. Although we are actually BBNP regulars (we go every year), this is the first time we have owned a 4wd vehicle, and can't wait to see some of the areas we've been to chickens--- to drive to.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
Then I would suggest getting a tablet mount for your vehicle and use one of the many GPS programs out there to navigate that and all the side roads.
Mine helped me for a lot of the trails in and around BBRSP a year ago.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. We are very excited for this trip. Although we are actually BBNP regulars (we go every year), this is the first time we have owned a 4wd vehicle, and can't wait to see some of the areas we've been to chickens--- to drive to.
The state park's website has a great little 4x4 guide to wheeling in the park.  It's called "The Road To Nowhere".
If you are on facebook, there is a very good group called Texas Overland that is a great resource for trips, trails and using your vehicle to navigate them.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
BTW Presidio, for the record, that Sheriff wasn't Tommy Lee Jones, it was Michael Parks.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »
BTW Presidio, for the record, that Sheriff wasn't Tommy Lee Jones, it was Michael Parks.

Negative, sir. Michael Parks was not in the cast.

Direct from IMDB.com--

Wendell: [Viewing the desert crime scene] It's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell: If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.

Tommy Lee Jones    ...    Ed Tom Bell
Garret Dillahunt    ...    Wendell

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
Parks was in Dusk till Dawn and other Grindhouse films as Earl McGraw.
Biography:
Texas Ranger Earl McGraw is the father of daughter Dakota McGraw Block and of son Edgar McGraw, though he probably has at least one other son. Dakota later married Dr. William Block, to Earl's regret. Edgar became a police officer like his father; they were called to the crime scene of the Massacre of Two Pines. He suspected Stuntman Mike of the murder of Jungle Julia and four other people, but was unable to get a conviction. Later, Earl's wife, Ramona, got cancer from a life of smoking, but was reluctant to use chemotherapy. Before she died, she turned into a zombie--Earl reluctantly killed her. Earl made peace with Dakota and helped kill the rest of the zombie hordes that infested Austin. Earl eventually shot a zomibified William Block.

Earl McGraw was killed by Richie Gecko while Richie and his older brother Seth held up a liquor store in broad daylight. He was shot in the back of the head and left for dead. A news report later confirmed his death.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »

Negative, sir. Michael Parks was not in the cast.

Direct from IMDB.com--

Wendell: [Viewing the desert crime scene] It's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell: If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.

Tommy Lee Jones    ...    Ed Tom Bell
Garret Dillahunt    ...    Wendell

My bad, you are correct. Old Country. I was thinking of the wedding chapel murder scene from Kill Bill.

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
Wow. Just wow. Why did I wait so long to do this? BTW, never once engaged 4wd. Pretty easy road, but fabulous scenery.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
Wow. Just wow. Why did I wait so long to do this? BTW, never once engaged 4wd. Pretty easy road, but fabulous scenery.

Well, it's in better shape than I had imagined, but it's always passable with most any vehicle.

Congratulations on going beyond the guidebooks.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!