Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Pinto Canyon Road - Paved section worth drive/time in Sedan?

• 0 Replies

Offline Jakagator12

• Kangaroo Rat
Hi all,

My friend and I are going to be in Marfa for the open weekend at Davis Mountains Preserve July 14-16, and we're trying to decide whether it is worth doing a down-and-back drive on part of Pinto Canyon Road. I've read that the first ~ 20 miles are paved; is that true/is it okay for sedans without high-clearance (but I believe with 4WD)? Secondly, would you recommend the drive if it could only be for that part, especially considering the fact it would be a down-and-back? I've read spectacular things about the drive from Marfa to Ruidosa, but a lot (most?) of it seems to be about the unpaved portion after you enter the canyon. Lastly, any general idea of how long it is from Marfa to the end of the paved part?

Thanks!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!