Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Electrifying Development in Presidio

• 18 Replies

BigBendHiker

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Electrifying Development in Presidio
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:17:17 AM »
I am curious as to just who is paying the several-thousand-dollars per resident for this battery to provide a backup power supply for Presidio.  It just seems like a huge waste of money to me when a diesel generator would probably have been a much cheaper and reliable technology.   TWWG

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
yeah but this is "green"

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Well they did say it served a second purpose of stabilizing the grid from brown outs and spikes.

Offline bjbriggs

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »
What ever happened to coal oil lamps and candles? :eusa_think: :eusa_think:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55:24 AM »
What ever happened to coal oil lamps and candles? :eusa_think: :eusa_think:
Kind of hard to get an A/C unit or computer server to run on those...

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a generator in the mix.  In most battery backup configurations in large scales, the battery backup is usually only there to catch the second or two between an outage and a generator kicking in, with enough power to last a few hours in case of a generator failure.

Perhaps in the case there isn't a generator in the configuration, but it may be that the article is just spot focusing on the battery system.
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
Based on the article, it doesn't appear to use a generator.

When the monster battery is at full capacity, it will be capable of powering Presidio for eight hours at a time.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
It sounds like it is just a very large uninterruptible power supply (UPS) system consisting of only batteries and an inverter. 

We used UPS's on our distributed control systems that used for process control at the chemical plant I used to work at.  It was just batteries (usually lead acid) and an inverter and automatic throw-over switch.

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
I am curious as to just who is paying the several-thousand-dollars per resident for this battery to provide a backup power supply for Presidio.  It just seems like a huge waste of money to me when a diesel generator would probably have been a much cheaper and reliable technology.   TWWG
I agree with that! They spent roughly $6000 per person to put that in.  For $6000 you can buy a sweet generator, LARGE propane tank and fill it up. If you had a family of 4 you would have $24000 to get a back up system. I may be wrong, but I think the batteries are only good for about 5 years, and then they need to be replaced.
seems to make perfect (government) sense to me :eusa_think:................... ................... ....... :willynilly:
~Cookie

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
You know, most of the electrical power for Hawaii is generated from diesel powered power plants.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
I agree with that! They spent roughly $6000 per person to put that in.  For $6000 you can buy a sweet generator, LARGE propane tank and fill it up. If you had a family of 4 you would have $24000 to get a back up system. I may be wrong, but I think the batteries are only good for about 5 years, and then they need to be replaced.
seems to make perfect (government) sense to me :eusa_think:................... ................... ....... :willynilly:
~Cookie

You are correct.  The lead acid batteries have to be replaced periodically.  Not sure about these sodium batteries that they are using.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
I love it now as soon as all of you buy an electric car coming from Houston it will only take you about 10 days to drive to BB. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
It only takes me 10 hours and about $100 worth of gas to get to BB right now.  That would be more in time and less in dollars if I drove the posted speed limit on I-10 past Kerrville  :icon_wink:.  But as they say time = money.

$6K/Resident to experiment with this massive battery complex?  Why Presidio - a place so far removed from the rest of the world that nobody will notice it if it goes wrong, wastes money, or creates a new superfund site?   Who is paying for this?  I am guessing that the local residents, County, and State are not paying for this experiment so who is?  What happens to the massive battery complex when it needs to be replaced after a few years?  The "carbon cost" of this experiment needs to include recycling or disposing of all those massive batteries after they have become obsolete or unservicable (4-12 years?).   Inquiring minds want to know and I am not buying the BS of it as a public-service for the residents of Presidio.   There has got to be more to the story... TWWG

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »
WATER, It does a body good.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!