Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

presidio

• 43 Replies

Offline ecampvet

• Kangaroo Rat
presidio
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:35:56 AM »
     There's nothing wrong with Presidio that couldn't be fixed by several weeks of precision air strikes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:12:44 AM by ecampvet »

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
Re: presidio
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »
 :shut_up:  Troll much?

edit: I take it back and offer my apologies  :-[ , this turned out to be a pretty good thread.   :victory: Peace, out.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:09:33 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

SHANEA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
I like Presidio - great grocery store there and a fantastic Mexican restaurant.  Good place to get tires fixed as well.  Reminds me of the old west.   

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Don't forget--often has incredible sunrises/sunsets

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
probably the same could be done for this post  :icon_rolleyes:
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »

There's nothing wrong with Presidio that couldn't be fixed by several days of precision air strikes.

You've been registered here since 2007 and this is your first post? 

Offline Juan Cuatro Lados

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
Presidio's one of the most interesting places you could ask for: there's a ton of history re: the Mexican
Revolution there, it's twin city of Ojinaga is the gateway to northern Mexico, Big Bend Ranch State Park
is in the back yard, and it definitely retains an old west atmosphere.  From the perspective of someone who lives in
Terlingua, Presidio is downright cosmopolitan :) 

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
Speaking of Presidio, did the railroad line between Alpine and Presidio ever get placed back in service? When I was there in 2006, I by chance struck up a conversation with the head of US Customs while in line at the local cafe to pay my check. He mentioned they were gearing up at the time for the reactivation of the rails to handle inspections of produce trains from the Mexican interior.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
Presidio's one of the most interesting places you could ask for: there's a ton of history re: the Mexican
Revolution there, it's twin city of Ojinaga is the gateway to northern Mexico, Big Bend Ranch State Park
is in the back yard, and it definitely retains an old west atmosphere.  From the perspective of someone who lives in
Terlingua, Presidio is downright cosmopolitan :)

Este chavo, si sabe......I like your history Juan. Very cultured.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
I like Presidio - great grocery store there and a fantastic Mexican restaurant.  Good place to get tires fixed as well.  Reminds me of the old west.

Yep.  Eaten at the Mexican food restaurant (on the right as you are heading out to Marfa).  The gas station (Beaza's) was a good place to stop as well for some groceries and fuel.

SHANEA

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
Who knows, maybe I'll retire to the Presidio area?  I always get excited when I get to the outskirts of Presidio going down Hwy 67.  It just has a "feeling".   The layout of the town is very cool too, with the 90 degree turns, the old buildings, gravel streets, cinder-block homes, etc.  Plus, the High School looks good too - home of the Blue Devils if I recall correctly.   Yes, they even have football is Presidio!  Or course, no visit to the region is complete w/o a stop at ole Ben Leatons place.  I'd like to have a fort like him with that massive court yard for having a big BBQ.  It certainly can be damn hot out that way in the summer - damn hot.  I always expect to see John Wayne riding in on his horse.  I saw the Burrow Lady many years ago encamped along the roadway - God Rest her Soul.  Plus, there is that neat "trolly" going across the Rio Grande just outside of town on Ranch Road 170 - never have figured out what that is all about.  Then, if you are very very observant and remember well, there are the painted cattle guards in the road - I guess they work.  Only place I have ever seen painted stripes for cattle guards.   

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:42:34 PM by SHANEA »

Offline Juan Cuatro Lados

• Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
The cable car across the river is used by International Boundary
& Water Commission and USGS personnel.  When the river is too high to wade across (like I used
to do) to measure the discharge of water in the river, the cable car is used to lower instruments
into the river from above.  Quite an experience to dangle up there ......

SHANEA

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Cool - now I know - if I can remember.  Should be a tourist trap and offer "rides" across for two bits.

Offline Interceptor

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »
We're very fond of Presidio as well.  We usually drive Pinto Canyon Road down from Marfa and head over to El Patio in Presidio for some of the best mexican food we've found.  I know the feeling of which Shanea speaks, southern Presidio County is a very cool and underappreciated part of the world.

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
Once upon a time, long, long ago, we smelled gasoline while cruising south on Hwy 67 late one Saturday night. The truck was still running but the fuel pump diaphragm had developed a small pin hole and was pumping gas out of its weep hole. With fingers crossed  :crossedfingers: we limped our way to the Three Palms Inn for the night.
The next morning at breakfast we asked our waitress if there was an auto parts store in town that was open today.  No senor, not on Sunday… but if you like I can call my uncle and he will come open it for you.

Good folks in Presidio, TX.

Don
Don
Fort Worth

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!