Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Grocery store in Study Butte

• 14 Replies

oldfatman

Grocery store in Study Butte
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:21:12 AM »
I am camped in Study Butte right now.  Across the street is a very complete grocery with prices very competitive for the area.  It is named Cottonwood.  When leaving the park going toward Study Butte it is on the left.  It is the only modern looking building in the area. 

Also the Study Butte RV Park, where I am staying, advertises showers for sale to folks not staying at this campground.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Grocery store in Study Butte
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:12:25 PM »
good to know.is there fresh produce ? that is what i miss the most on longer trips to big bend.

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
The Cottonwood Store has help bring prices down at the Study Butte Mall.  Competition is good.  Their selection is growing.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
Stingrey and I made a pass through this store in August, looks like they have a good variety of stuff, but they did not have any cold lemon aid  for Rey and he was pretty mad about that. :pissed: :pissed:

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »
You can take a shower at the Big Bend Motor Inn bath house too without being camped there. You have to put quarters in the slots.
Kathleen

I am camped in Study Butte right now.  Across the street is a very complete grocery with prices very competitive for the area.  It is named Cottonwood.  When leaving the park going toward Study Butte it is on the left.  It is the only modern looking building in the area. 

Also the Study Butte RV Park, where I am staying, advertises showers for sale to folks not staying at this campground.

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »
There is fresh produce at the Cottonwood, Study Butte store and the Terlingua Market
Kathleen

good to know.is there fresh produce ? that is what i miss the most on longer trips to big bend.

Offline chris

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:22:33 AM »
Good to know that this new store is worth a stop.  It was under construction when I was out that way in January and it did indeed look super modern for the area, almost like a C-store anywhere else in the world!

They don't have the vintage beer can collection or the dogs from the Study Butte Mall though to add atmosphere to the shopping experience though...

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »

OFM, start posting some pictures as soon as you can..store,bike,showers,what ever...saludos.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline DC6080

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
The Cottonwood Store is clean, well-stocked, and organized. They even carry some WalMart brands of certain items. However, they don't have Miss Rita, gasoline, or Bob (who likes to drink the water from your ice chest!).

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »
The store accross the street from the Cottonwood was well stocked and had gas and diesel at a very fair price. stopped there several times even if just for a a Mud Pie. Bought some of their steaks and grilled them while at the Getaway on the ranch. NICE!!!

See you all again in the spring, can't wait.
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

oldfatman

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
The Study Butte mall diesel was $2.999 a gallon and the Big Bend Motor Inn diesel was $2.884 a gallon.  The lady in the Study Butte mall was also very nice and helpfull when I needed advice on a truck repair.  Cottonwood had a better selection of groceries in general for the things I eat.  Both seem like good folks to me.

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
yeah, we had quite a laugh watching people by beer in the mall and then drive across the street for other supplies. We had to have the Mud Pies, and Good Humor Bars, our treat for the day.
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

Offline Carolrob

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
We are planning a 1 or 2 month stay around Terlingua/Study Butte. I was happy to hear there is another store, but I can't quite figure out where it is. When we were there a few years ago there was one general store on the left side of the highway heading south. Where is the new one in relation to that? Also we are looking at the Longhorn Ranch RV park or BJ's RV Park, mainly because of the low monthly rate. We have a rather large 5th wheel and may need a pull through spot. Does anyone have a recommendation on either of these? Which one are you in Oldfatman? We have a 40 A. property just north of the National Park accessed by either Ranch Gate 2 or 4. We plan on spending a lot of time exploring our property and the park. How about internet access? Any wifi out there? Should I get an air card? Which one is best . Any cell phone service? Thanks for your help.

Offline catlady

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
The Cottonwood Store is almost directly across the highway from the Study Butte Mall.  It opened last February.  We live at the Study Butte RV Park across the street from Cottonwood and next to the "Mall"  It is a great location - so nice to be able to walk to the stores.  Check with the owner, Larry Harris, for the monthly rates.  We get there in mid-January and stay until about the 1st of April.  There are several other couples who also do extended stays there.  Check with Larry about the availability of his larger sites but don't take ours  :icon_wink:  No tv except your own satellite.  Only cell phone service we've found in 5 years is ATT, no matter what Verizon says.  We use ATT data stick and have good service.  There's wi-fi at the Terlingua Springs Store and Big Bend Motor Lodge Cafe.  BJ's and Longhorn are both a long way from the park but, at least, BJ's is closer to Ghost Town.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
The Cottonwood did seem fairly well-stocked, although they didn't carry what I really needed at the time.... Primatine Mist inhaler. The Mall across the street said they sometimes have it, but it's extremely hard for them to get. The Cottonwood had bags of ice for $1.50, which was the other item in need.

Only cell phone service we've found in 5 years is ATT, no matter what Verizon says.  We use ATT data stick and have good service.  There's wi-fi at the Terlingua Springs Store and Big Bend Motor Lodge Cafe.  BJ's and Longhorn are both a long way from the park but, at least, BJ's is closer to Ghost Town.
Moderator note: Cell phone followups have been moved to Cell Phone Coverage in the Park
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:21:29 PM by RichardM »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!