Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Lajitas Golf Course

• 7 Replies

Offline Lechuguilla

• Bewbie
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Pretty and Sharp
Lajitas Golf Course
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
There is a new invasive plant species quickly being introduced to our home. The new Lajitas golf course decided to use a grass called Seashore Paspalum. Paspalum has been used on many golf courses throughout the country and the world because it creates a great playing surface for golf. It is also extremely easy to grow because it tolerates heat, salt, wind, acidic soils, and drought. It comes from Asia/ Africa and is on several invasive plant species lists. It has been found in the Galopagos islands where it has wiped out some small fish and crab species by ravaging their habitats. Paspalum can and does grow right on top of slow moving brackish water, and has choked out estuaries in Florida and Hawaii. I'm no expert on the subject but it seems to me some kind of study should have been done to test the viability of this grass along the Rio Grande. It may become the new Bermuda, cattail, or salt cedar as it spreads up and down the river, wetlands, and creeks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:56:45 PM by Lechuguilla »
Don't forget to wipe and stay off the pipe!

Offline Lechuguilla

• Bewbie
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Pretty and Sharp
Lajitas Golf Course info
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
Here is a good link about Seashore Paspalum.www.invasivespecies.net

Type in the name Paspalum.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:33:37 PM by Lechuguilla »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Lajitas Golf Course
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
There is nothing in Lajitas that should be there since about 1996.  Nor is this a new phenomena...people being stupid, that is.  There's still non-native plant species growing all around the park because the early settlers planted these species and a hundred years later they are still there.   Some are benign and some are not.  Several folks a few years have tried to eradicate some of the invasive species of grass in the park along 385.  I don't know how successful they were.

Offline Lechuguilla

• Bewbie
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Pretty and Sharp
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »
You're right. It just blows me away that something that grows so agressively can be planted between two parks without any kind of environmental impact study but I guess nothing should suprise me anymore. It will be interesting to see how long it takes this grass to make it down to Del Rio. I've seen it grow up to 5" in a day. Thanks for your comment.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

Offline Lechuguilla

• Bewbie
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Pretty and Sharp
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
Great R. Crumb pic, and I wonder what the gang would do to stop this Kudzu like grass? I guess we don't need to be too concerned since the lajitians seem to have a knack for killing everything they touch anyway, including peoples spirits.

Offline Frogdown

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »
I think a few crop dusters with agent orange would be in order.  Then send the bill to the responsible parties.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
Agent orange the responsible parties.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!